Wawasee Kiwanis
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 21m 2s
Overall Rank = 37/126
Age Group = F 50-54
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up before the alarm. Dressed and ate some yogurt with granola then hit the road for the 35 minute drive. Ate part of a bagel and part of a banana while driving. Sipped on sport drink and water. Was not feeling in "race" mode. I was looking forward to seeing teammates but just wasn't feeling competitive.
Event warmup:

Chatted with folks. Took bike for a spin. Chatted with more folks. Went for a run. Gathered for the team prayer. Chatted with some folks. In between all that went to the restroom a few times.
Swim
  • 10m 31s
  • 500 yards
  • 02m 06s / 100 yards
Comments:

Started on the outside which is something I rarely do. Took it hard at first then cut in and that worked fairly well. Tried to draft off of feet that looked to be a tad bit faster than me but they were weaving in and out too much so I just stayed along the rope. Pretty straight swim but couldn't get into a good breathing pattern. Heart rate was a bit high. No issues with goggles so that was good. 4th year of doing this tri and this was a PR swim for me by over 30 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

I've really tried hard to improve my swim over the years but I'm pretty consistently slow. Until someone gives me a magic pill to propel me faster I've got to learn to stay calm with my race pace.
Transition 1
  • 00m 29s
Comments:

Breezed through with throwing down goggles and putting on helmet while grabbing bike and going. Hopped on the bike well and slid into my shoes without any issues. Of the 126 total individual participants, I had the 2nd fastest T1 time.

Nothing
Bike
  • 40m 42s
  • 13.25 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Had a head and cross wind going out so knew my pace was slow. I still pumped it hard and my legs were screaming at me. They calmed down after a few miles. Passed a bunch of people and told them all "good job" but no one ever passed me. Yelled "thank you" to all the volunteers at the intersections. Didn't see another 50-55 year old female out on the bike course which made me a little worried. The tailwind didn't seem to be as strong going back so that was a bummer. Even with the wind, I set a bike PR, but by only 12 seconds. Still, I'll take it as we'd had no wind the previous 3 years.

Keep pushing to the end, especially since this was a sprint distance. I tend to get lulled into relaxing about 3/4 of the way into the bike course.
Transition 2
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

Don't know why I grabbed my sunglasses first but I did and lost a couple seconds. I was in the middle of the pack as far as my time here so nothing to get excited about.

Put on shoes first then grab the sunglasses and race number belt to put on while running out. Silly me.
Run
  • 28m 28s
  • 3.3 miles
  • 08m 38s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty uneventful. I wasn't passed except at the end by two 30-something year olds and they weren't in my AG so I didn't care. I knew I was pushing a bit past my normal comfort level but it felt good to actually race when I'd started the day so uncompetitive. I did slow a tid at the aid stations to get a little water in my throat. Although the day started chilly I've had a problem with any type of heat and the sun had come out by this time so I dumped some water over my head too. Crossed the finish line with a PR for the run - close to a minute.

Nothing really. I purposely started a little bit slower than my body wanted to go and got my legs warmed up so they responded well in the last mile by speeding up. I have no doubt I did negative splits on each mile and that's something the XC coach stressed during camp last week so he would've been proud.
Post race
Warm down:

Crossed the finish line with a smile, grabbed a water and immediately signed up for the free massage. Only waited about 2 minutes and the massage felt great. Went and looked at the results sheets and couldn't find my name. Started at the top of the page which listed overalls first and HOLY SMOKES - I got the Overall Female Masters award! I ended up being the 4th female out of 55 to cross the finish line and the first one over 40. I set a course PR by 2 1/2 minutes. Happy day!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being 70th on the swim and 60th on the run. Although both were a PR for me, there's tons of room for improvement. Thank goodness for my beautiful bike which helped me get a nice plaque. :)

Event comments:

Always an organized race with great volunteers. It was nice to meet Nicole and her family (a fellow BTer who was doing her first tri). She did super. The post race food is second only to Winona Lake. The participation was down this year and I'm not sure why. Usually there's an extra weekend before the school start but not this year so maybe that was one reason. Not sure what will be going on in our lives next year but if I'm around I'll put this one again on my race calendar.

Last updated: 2012-08-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:31 | 500 yards | 02m 06s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 70/126
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out to a pontoon and back. Water level was low so there was more seaweed to deal with.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:29
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:42 | 13.25 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 25/126
Wind: Strong
Course: Out and back along county roads with the turn-around in a parking lot. One section of chip and seal that was rough but otherwise smooth surface with rolling hills.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:50
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:28:28 | 03.3 miles | 08m 38s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/4
Overall: 60/126
Course: Rectangle around the golf couse on country roads with 2 aid stations.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-13 1:51 PM

User image

Subject: Wawasee Kiwanis Triathlon

2012-08-13 4:29 PM
in reply to: #4361003

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Wawasee Kiwanis Triathlon
Brenda congrats on a great race, 1st overall in your AG and the overall masters award is just awesome. I thought you did a great job with the swim, bike and especially your run. Also a very nice job on the transitions too. You really had a great race!
2012-08-13 5:55 PM

User image

Expert
MI
very very awesome!!!
2012-08-14 5:48 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Brenda, so proud of you!  GREAT job and don't worry about the swim...at least you are not drowning...I would love to have a 2 minute 100!

Hey GREAT job on the T-1.  Fantastic race!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2012-08-14 6:08 AM

User image

Bronze member
For someone who started out not feeling very competitive I'd say you smoked that race! PR on the bike, PR on the run and 2nd fastest transition - great job out there!
2012-08-14 8:32 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Umm?  And I quote: " I'm not feeling real competitive at this point......."  Yeah!  Right! 

You crushed the whole course with a laze' fare attitude.  WOW!!!

I have the secret pill you need to get faster on the swim but don't tell anyone.......It's called swim more.  Yeah, it kinda works that way. Wink

Your T1 has to be one of the highlights of the race and one of the important aspects of racing triathlon overall.  You were probably able to pick up several spots from a well planned transition.  Great job!

You run time is definitely another highlight. That's a solid run and to have negative split the miles is running perfection!  Would you be running coach?

This race seems to me like anyone would have a hard time picking it apart.  I love that you mentioned that you smiled as you crossed the finish line!  I can actually see you smiling.  It is so much your character and one of your God given gifts to bring joy to others.  You are an encourager! (Rom 12:8)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Wawasee Kiwanis Triathlon Rss Feed