Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Insurance claim after hit by car Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-16 1:51 PM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: Insurance claim after hit by car
I'm seeking some advice.  I was hit by a car yesterday.  I'm fine for the most part but my bike got damaged and is not ridable.  It's at the bike shop now getting an estimate to repair or if it can't be repaired then replaced.  I call the drivers insurance company and talk to the claim adjuster and ask what I need to do to get my bike repaired/replaced.  All she said was she's not sure and she'll get back to me in the next 30 days and let me know what to do.  I've got a race scheduled for next weekend that I'm going to have to withdraw from due to no bike.  I'm also trainging for a half in September and an iron distance race in January so 30 days with no bike will likely kill my training and I'll have to withdraw from those as well.  So finally my question, is there anything you can do to expidite the insurance company or am I on their timeline and SOL?  If this was a car they would have to provide me a rental car until mine could be repaired so is it unreasonable to have them provide me a rental bike?

2012-08-16 1:59 PM
in reply to: #4366644

Master
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Insurance claim after hit by car

As far as the race you have coming up, rent a bike.  It'll be fine.

As far as training, use a stationary if you have access to one.  I assume you swim at a gym but that may not be the case.  and then if you have to, rent another bike for your races down the line.  I have been doing tri's for 3 years and do not own a bike, so it is by no means necessary.

As far as the insurance companies, I don't know that they would cover, but it's worth an ask.  I doubt it though.  If they don't, and you miss a race, I'd claim the entry fee as part of the cost of the bike.

Edited by jgaither 2012-08-16 1:59 PM
2012-08-16 2:02 PM

User image

Champion
the alamo city, Texas

call your insurance, and let them duke it out for you...if you HAVE the cash you should be able to buy a bike and get a reimbursement when they settle everything out.

not sure if this would fall under your homeowner's or car insurance...i am almost positive my homeowner's policy would handle something like this as damaged property.

2012-08-16 2:23 PM

User image

Pro
Parker, CO
asking you to wait 30-days is unacceptable.  if that's the best she can do, call the insurance company and ask for a new adjuster.  I know they get busy and will push things off that they feel are not important...but that is not acceptable.  I recently had to do this with a claim we had.  They sent a new adjuster within a couple of days.  We had a check in less than a week.
2012-08-16 3:14 PM

User image

Elite

Insurance claims adjusters are not your friends. They will delay, lose paperwork, fail to return calls, and give misinformation. It may be due to high work load, but it may even be intentional. They are also suspicious that every claim they receive is inflated and the claimant is out to defraud them.

If you become frustrated and give up, that is a good outcome for them. It is better to let your insurance company fight these battles. They are professionals. Your job is to document everything with police reports, receipts, multiple estimates for repair, pictures, etc.

If you chooses to deal with the insurance company yourself, log every phone call and the name of every person you speak to. Try to get everything that they commit to in writing or in email. Ask for legimate reimbursable documented expenses and stick to it.

Insurance companies will eventually pay legitimate costs but they do not make it easy.

TW

2012-08-16 4:00 PM

User image

One of the most important things you can do is keep detailed notes on what happened, every call you made, who you spoke with, what was discussed.

Contact your home & auto carrier. If you sustained any injuries at all your med payments on your auto policy should cover them up to the limits you carry.

Get a copy of the police report when it becomes available.

Contact the state insurance commission and see if this is standard that an adjuster will wait up to 30 days to even begin to do anything.

Pending on the amount it will cost to replace your bike and cover other damage and the time it's cost you due to the other persons negligence (assuming he is liable) you have the option of filing a small claims case against him as well.

Your insurance and more than likely auto carrier should be able to provide you some guidance, talk with your agent and see what advise he gives you.

Keep track of everything, costs, all phone calls and note how much time you've spent on each.

2012-08-16 4:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran

csharp1171 - 2012-08-16 11:51 AM I'm seeking some advice.  I was hit by a car yesterday.  I'm fine for the most part but my bike got damaged and is not ridable.  It's at the bike shop now getting an estimate to repair or if it can't be repaired then replaced.  I call the drivers insurance company and talk to the claim adjuster and ask what I need to do to get my bike repaired/replaced.  All she said was she's not sure and she'll get back to me in the next 30 days and let me know what to do.  I've got a race scheduled for next weekend that I'm going to have to withdraw from due to no bike.  I'm also trainging for a half in September and an iron distance race in January so 30 days with no bike will likely kill my training and I'll have to withdraw from those as well.  So finally my question, is there anything you can do to expidite the insurance company or am I on their timeline and SOL?  If this was a car they would have to provide me a rental car until mine could be repaired so is it unreasonable to have them provide me a rental bike?

I am not sure about the bike and insurance part but I am glad to hear you are ok.

I would suggest, amongst what everyone else has said, to follow the old addage, "the squeeky wheel gets the grease." If you keep at it they will have to follow through. Good luck and let us know how it turns out and what worked/what didn't work. That we if it happens to me I can fall back on this

2012-08-16 4:14 PM

Master
, California
If you get YOUR insurance company to lean on the driver's insurance, you have a better shot.  They know that you easily could be filing a injury claim and the cost of a bike is peanuts in comparison.
2012-08-19 8:15 PM

User image

Master
Sunny Southern Cal
I think you should go get seen for all those aches and pains you just started feeling.
2012-08-19 8:38 PM

User image

Champion
Checkin' out the podium girls
It's a ritghtous pain in the azz to go through. Take phone notes. Do NOT agree to let the, record your phone calls! Be thorough about your losses. Include a new helmet as part of it; a helmet is a one and done item.

Also, consider getting a CT scan to rule out any head injury. If you went down, there's a slim, but real possibility of it.

Sadly, only via inflated medical claims can you get a lawyer to take your case.
2012-08-20 9:31 AM

User image

Littleton, CO

I agree that you should use your own insurance to replace the bike and accessories and handle your medical bills.  You'll be out your deductible, but they might be able to recoup that once they deal with the other insurance.  Your own insurance will help you much faster than the other and has a whole legal department that squares off against the other big guys for a living.  Hopefully you have insurance, a police case number, and a claim number from the other insurance.

AND, I'm glad you're alright, but I would go for a full exam at your doctor's since injuries have a way of surfacing some time after the accident.

2012-08-20 9:44 AM
in reply to: #4370396

User image

Expert

SevenZulu - 2012-08-19 8:15 PM I think you should go get seen for all those aches and pains you just started feeling.

Yes, insurance fraud is the answer..

2012-08-20 10:26 AM

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Definitely not going to be trying to fraud anyone!  I don't want to drop out of races but if I don't have a bike soon I'll have no choice since the races are this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I'll also be behind on my training plan for upcoming 70.3 and 140.6.  Long term it will cost them more if I have to drop out of races between regsitration fees, airfare, lodging, etc. 
2012-08-20 10:31 AM
in reply to: #4371103

User image

Champion
Chicago
csharp1171 - 2012-08-20 10:26 AM

Definitely not going to be trying to fraud anyone!  I don't want to drop out of races but if I don't have a bike soon I'll have no choice since the races are this Friday, Saturday, and Sunday.  I'll also be behind on my training plan for upcoming 70.3 and 140.6.  Long term it will cost them more if I have to drop out of races between regsitration fees, airfare, lodging, etc. 

They need to know this. You need to tell them this and record it. In fact, send an email accompanying your phone call so you have it documented that they know about all if it.

And yes,, get your insurance company involved. If you file a claim with YOUR insurance company, they won't want to pay and therefore will fight to get the other company to pay. I dont know the process but I dont think you actually have to file a claim, just call your agent and explain what happened. If he or she is at all competent, they shoudl get things moving.
2012-08-20 11:33 AM

User image

Spanish Fort, Alabama
I posted this awhile back:

BTers, I was involved in an accident just over a year ago. I
slammed into the side of a moving SUV that blew a stop sign; Drivers' fault with witnesses- he also left the scene and was later arrested. anyway, I ended with surgery on my right shoulder and rehab, coulda
been a LOT worse. Just now really getting back to some easy training. What I did learn from this experience is that my auto insurance covered me.. I am sure policies vary. Had my brother in law not been in the insurance business, I
would have not even inquired and just used my healthcare insurance to cover. My auto insurance (I am in a no fault state) covered the damaged bike, my lost wages, time out of work, etc., medical bills which were quite substantial. I
hope none of you have to go through this, but it is worth a call to your local agent to know what type of coverage you have.

Good Luck, glad you were not injured!

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Insurance claim after hit by car Rss Feed