Event Power
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 11s
Overall Rank = 119/465
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/50
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 410 had 2 english muffins with PB, coffee, banana, and sipped gatorade. Loaded the car by myself, and head off. This was a C race for me but it was only about 10 minutes away plus I was having a 65 y/o patient doing his first triathlon so I told him I would do it with him. I had done an olympic the prior sunday.
Event warmup:

I had high expectations in this race because I had just completed 2 HIM, and 1 oly in the three races preceding this one
Swim
  • 13m 50s
  • 547 yards
  • 02m 32s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was the worse swim I have had in my Tri career for such a short swim!!! The week prior I swam an oly in 28:xx minutes, so though I am not super fast a 13:50 swim is horrendous...I was expecting a 9-10 minute time. I typically will do a pool time trial without pushing myself in that time. SO needless to say I was not happy with my time.

After the race a friend watching his dad said there was a lot of current because he could see the lifeguards yelling at the drifting swimmer to get back on line plus my other friend who did the race is a sailor and looked at his sea charts and said we were racing as the current was going out to sea(against us) at a lower tide therefore we were getting slowed down.

Also There was a lot of contact in this swim. As I approached the first turn buoy to head west it was just many people hitting each other. Some of it was due to the fact that there were a lot of swimmers nearly stopped floating on their back or breast stroking which I dont have a problem with but I felt like I was in a log jam most of the race....I began to catch some of the wave in front of me which afterwards is amazing I caught anyone with a 13 min swim.....mutiple times I had to stop because I had no way to get around anyone unless I veered left or right...I found allthis readjusting took a lot out of me and my HR was skyrocketing....when I was on the bike I said to myself this 500m swim was harder than my 1.2 miler in a May HIM.
What would you do differently?:

Need to seed myself a little more agressively in these sprints and have more confidence I can get out near the front just behind the fast swimmers . Also need to work on maneuvering around people and staying composed in swim traffic and just keep moving
Transition 1
  • 01m 47s
Comments:

My heartrate was a little higher than I liked for just finishing a short swim but I felt I got in and out ok
Bike
  • 27m 40s
  • 10.5 miles
  • 22.77 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a great split for me, I pushed this hard with a higher gear, if we did not have a headwind I probably would have been faster. So I was pleased.

Generally since there were a lot of people not understanding that they need to stay to the right so that was a little frustrating at times.
Transition 2
  • 01m 17s
Run
  • 24m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

This was a slightly slower than average run for me....I should have been about 22+/-, so maybe if I backed a little off the bike I would have been better but in a sprint I was just going for it...it got hot on the run and probably should have drank a little more on the bike. I seem to lose a little speed when the humidity is high like it was and I do not hydrate enough....I figured since I was only going to be on the course a little over an hour I would be OK
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Probably racing the oly last week and maybe not being really fresh for this one limited me a bit, and underhydrating. The swim was just to choatic for a typical sprint, if this was a oly or HIM swim I probably would have had to get real wide to avoid the choas, but that would not have helped with the current.

Event comments:

eventpower li puts on a great race...I have done several of there races and feel they are very organized and have there act together...I would definately do this race again and others in there schedule

Last updated: 2012-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:50 | 547 yards | 02m 32s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/50
Overall: 0/465
Performance: Bad
Suit: xterra vortex
Course: This was a point to point swim in a inverted U shaped pattern going west. Little chop but a lot of current with the tide heading out
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: High
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:47
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:27:40 | 10.5 miles | 22.77 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: A out and back great TT course, very fast on william floyd parkway which the left lanes were closed for traffic...hit a headwind on the way back
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:17
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:24:39 | 03.11 miles | 07m 56s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: Basically a out and back on part of the bike course except it dipped into a development for a short period. Flat, except going over a drawbridge.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-16 3:04 PM

User image

Elite
Subject: Smith Point Triathlon

2012-08-16 7:42 PM
in reply to: #4366791

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Subject: RE: Smith Point Triathlon

Scott I think you had a very good race considering the swim was absolutely slow and brutal. I had the same problem no space, too many people in the way and too much wasted energy. I think it probably affected my run as well. You did a great job on the bike making up time after that swim. I tried to the the same and William Floyd Pkwy was nice and fast. I also agree there were more than a few people who were not exactly staying to the right on the bike. I think in a lot of ways your race sort of mirrored mine except that you were faster then me Smile You did a very good job overall.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Smith Point Triathlon Rss Feed