General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Sylvania, Ohio
United States
Elite Endeavors
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 27m 35s
Overall Rank = 107/320
Age Group = M3539
Age Group Rank = 14/31
Pre-race routine:

ate a bowl of cereal and drove the 4 minutes from my parents house to race site. They had changed the position of the transition area a little but I still got there around 6:50. Yesterday , while my kids were doing the kids triathlon , they announced that the water temp was 81 degrees. This morning as I was racking my bike they said it was 77* degrees. I could have rushed back to the car to get the wetsuit but didnt. This race is normally not wetsuit legal so I didnt want a time that I couldnt compare to my previous results. If my kids could handle it , then I could.
Event warmup:

Not much. My wave is the absolute last wave. Race started at 7:30 AM with sprints and the M0-39 wave went off around 8:00AM. Just stood around sipping on water.
Swim
  • 29m 46s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

At least half of the wave had wetsuits. I started at the front and was in front for about 200 yards then I was engulfed and passed by a sea of black neoprene. I felt fine as far as my stroke but I was all zig zaggy. I couldnt seem to swim straight. I swam this race in about 26 minutes last year. My swim volume is way down but I think it was my direction that killed me. The overall winner went 19 minutes last year and 19 again this year so I think the course length was correct. This was just a bad swim magnified by the fact many people had wetsuits on vs none last year.
What would you do differently?:

get off my high horse and wear a wet suit and HR monitor and a garmin (just kidding - how about swim straight)
Transition 1
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

transition was moved a little this year. It was a little further from the beach. It also had a 0.25 mile section of bike out with no passing allowed.

nothing went fine
Bike
  • 1h 07m 46s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

was shooting for last year's record of 21mph. I wasnt really expecting 22mph. I will take the PR but I am not too sure about it. The course was changed slightly to take into account a local golf tourney. I had ripped my bike computer off my bike a week before so I dont know if the course measured true. My age group was the last wave. As such I had plenty of draft legal chances on the out leg. I just kept hearing Cal Naughton, Jr cackling " Slingshot" and Ricky Bobby saying "Slingshot engaged". I had plenty of people to ride up on , draft legally and whip around. The whole first half of the course was into the wind so it helped cut the wind a bit. The people had thinned out a bit on the back end. Overall it was nice a cool and I felt good the whole way.

Cant say too much since I did set a PR. The overall winner posted a 25mph last year. He nailed 27mph this year so I think conditions (course length/wind) were very good.
Transition 2
  • 01m 20s
Comments:

didnt do a flying dismount because I hadnt practiced it.
Run
  • 47m 4s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

on the bright side this was the fastest I have gone this year in the Olympic distance. I was felt really good until about 4 miles but then just felt slow after that point. Did not finish well. The down side is that this is slower than I ran last year.

Not much , didnt drink or eat anything on the run course. Maybe a gel around mile one might help me finished better.
Post race
Warm down:

drank a few beers at the beer truck ( hope you enjoy your Heed and water at your race cause this is better )

What limited your ability to perform faster:

my piggishness about wearing a wetsuit at this race. Could have smashed my PR at the OLY distance. I developed a cold which stopped all training (and sleeping) on Thursday. Also packed for vacation at the same time. Kinda stressful right up until race time. Did not know if I could do the race until Sunday AM. Overall considering the cold and low bike and swim training I was only off my PR at this distance (also set at this race ) by 10 seconds. Cant complain too much.

Event comments:

USAT Mideast Qualifier - Some really fast people ( multiple folks under 2 hours ) , very organized ( they will penalize you if you dont have your bike racked properly ) , draft officials on the course , a beer truck , catered awards lunch if you stick around.

Last updated: 2012-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:29:46 | 1640 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/31
Overall: 31/320
Performance: Below average
Suit: trishorts
Course: big rectangle around Olander lake
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:28
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:07:46 | 24.85 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/31
Overall: 105/320
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: skinny rectangle with long legs running west first (into wind) and then east (with wind) to finish
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:20
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:47:04 | 06.21 miles | 07m 35s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/31
Overall: 113/320
Performance: Average
Course: one loop / mostly shaded through neighborhoods
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-18 4:23 PM

User image

Expert
Alpharetta (until we find a home)
Subject: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance

2012-08-20 8:31 AM
in reply to: #4369389

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ohio
Subject: RE: Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance
Nice Bike PR. And only 10 Seconds off your overall PR? You really can't complain, although I will say with that swim time, jeez who are you....Twinklebug or something?!?!? That was not so good chief.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sylvania Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed