General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Paul Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

St. Paul Triathlon - International Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
St. Paul, Minnesota
United States
Front Runner
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 09m 56s
Overall Rank = 6/104
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 1/15
Pre-race routine:

Usual . got up early ate and heaed to st paul. arrived early as usual. got a good spot, then picked up chip and number and got settled in.
Event warmup:

none
Swim
  • 18m
  • 1760 yards
  • 01m 01s / 100 yards
Comments:

The swim over all was good. I was only 13 seconds slower than dave Holden, which is good for me. He was in the wave in front of me so unfortunately i was not able to draft off of him.

Parenthetically this swim was nearly 3 minutes fast than last years. I am a little better swim shap, but not that much. My guess is the swim was a little shorter this year.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing, this was one of my best swims. Not just in time, but pacing and having a feel for the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m 50s
Comments:

This transition area is rather small and close to the beach, so it makes for a quick transition. I was 10 seconds faster than last year.

Not sure but i think i can still shave about 10-15 seconds off that, with a little more urgency.

Just push it faster, mainly while moving.
Bike
  • 1h 06m 48s
  • 23 miles
  • 20.66 mile/hr
Comments:

I came out of transition with one other guy. I pased him and vice versa a couple of times the first 3 miles. then we hit the hill and he pulled away from me. I tried to keep him in my sights the whole time. I ended up losing sight of him the last 4 miles.

The first lap went great, then the second lap was when the sprinters were also on the course. Over all i used many of them to sling shot and they really did not impede any progress or pace.

I tried to take in as much fuel as i could without puking, in order to practice for square Lake coming up. This probably slowed me down just slightly.

Over all it was a hard effort, and my legs were burning. It was 1 minute and 23 seconds SLOWER than last year, so that is not good.

I need to work on climbing! and i just need more bike fitness.
Transition 2
  • 00m 35s
Comments:

Might feet were very chilly from the bike so dismount and then run were a little tricky, but i got through it quickly so that is great. This transition was 17 seconds faster than last year and was only 9 seconds slower than the fastest transition, so i am very happy.

nothing
Run
  • 43m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 07m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

the run was a 21 second improvement over last year, it had a very slightly different course on the far end of the lake. This year it was only on the walking path and there was a very steep downhill for a short time. but it was STEEP. Last year that part we stayed on the bike path and it only went down hill gradually. But this is a rather minor, yet memorable.

I was hoping to run under 7 min miles, because i did at Brewhouse a couple of weeks ago.

I tried to save some for the second lap, and i think i save to much to late.

I think i will try to push it a little more a lot earlier and see if i die, at St croix

Oh and at the begining of the second lap, dan came up quick behind me and motivated me to push it that was was a huge help. Thank you

push it more and work on speed work
Post race
Warm down:

walk around, stretch, gather up stuff and put it in the car.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Fitness. Mental strength.

Event comments:

There were plenty of volunteers and Randy is always very enthusiasic. However he is not the most organized for an event.

I am not complaining. I had fun and a race is always good, as long as people dont get hurt and everyone is on the same "playing field". SO this was fun and if it fits in the calendar next year, then i will be back.

Last updated: 2012-05-11 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:00 | 1760 yards | 01m 01s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/15
Overall: 2/104
Performance: Good
Suit: full sleeves
Course: clock wise rectangle, 2 laps
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:50
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:06:48 | 23 miles | 20.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 22/104
Wind: None
Course: this is kind of and out and back with 2 laps.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 00:35
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:43:44 | 06.21 miles | 07m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/15
Overall: 17/104
Course: 2 laps around lake phalen.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 8:04 AM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
Subject: St. Paul Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » St. Paul Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed