General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Sprint Course - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kelowna, British Columbia
Canada
Kelowna Apple Triathlon
24C / 75F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 50m 49s
Overall Rank = 285/306
Age Group = M60-64
Age Group Rank = 4/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up a few minutes before the alarm went off. Got washed up, had breakfast and headed out at 5:15am for the one hour drive north to Kelowna.
Event warmup:

Inspite of all my pre-planning it was still hard to get myself sorted out - what I actually needed and what was unnecessary. In line for bodymarking I learned the water temp was 24degC (75F) and wetsuits were not allowed. I had anticipated this so I wasn't too concerned about it. Once I got through bodymarking I went over to Transition and checked my bike/tires and layed out my gear and stripped down for the swim. Found out I don't like swim caps - too tight!

Swim
  • 21m 33s
  • 820 yards
  • 02m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

I just wore my tri-shorts the swim cap and goggles. Being uncertain of what I'd be capable of I hung back and when the horn went off I casually walked in and started swimming. There were maybe 100 in my wave so after a flurry of close encounters we spread out and got down to swimming. I found I was breathing too hard and tried to slow down to calm myself but I felt my heart rate was too high so I started using breaststroke to relax. I was surprised to see others using breaststroke and even backstroke. I was moving pretty slow and falling back and when I started swimming again I found my heart rate elevated pretty quickly so I had to alternate between breaststroke and freestyle. I made it around all the buoys with no trouble at all but as we passed the last buoy people seemed to mass together again to get out of the water. I stood up a few feet sooner than I probably should have but I was glad to get out. From here it was a 250m run to the transition area. Waved to my wife as I ran up the cattle shute and assessed how I felt - no dis-equilibrium or any pains.
What would you do differently?:

I need to get my heart rate under control and maybe do more swimming to prepare for the event.
Transition 1
  • 04m 15s
Comments:

I had a hand towel ready and took 20seconds to dry my upper body then put on a tight t-shirt only to find I had pinned the front of the shirt to the back and had to undo the pin and put it on properly - cost me almost a minute. Shirt went on easy and I just kept on the tri-shorts I swam in. Had a bit of trouble putting on one bike shoe - no socks. Grabbed the bike and ran to the mounting line - like a real athlete.

Get a race belt so I don't have to put pins in my shirts. I WANT a race belt. Otherwise I felt pretty good - maybe someday I can learn to put my shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 45m 51s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.27 mile/hr
Comments:

I ran out of transition with three other people and crossed over the mount line without any concerns or distractions, hopped on and started pedaling. I somehow left all three behind me and never saw them again. I was going pretty fast and looking forward to the first hurdle a steep climb part way up Knox mountain. I pushed myself up the hill which I didn't want to do but I knew from the top it was a good downhill to take time to recoup. I crested the climb and pushed to get some speed going down the hill. It was a fairly fast course and I felt it was pretty easy some elites passed me but I did a fair bit of passing myself.
Then I came around on my second lap and started up Knox again - bloody hills - this time I was keeping up with a few people but about halfway I came up to a really big Athena (300+) stopped and huffing so I took a few moments to encourage her then carried on. Over the hill again I was going even faster (I had to do all I could on the bike because I was going to lose ground on the run. I came around the last corner going pretty fast and unclipped my shoes then slowed for the dismount and crossed the line with two other people.

I still want to get faster other than that I enjoyed it a lot and wouldn't do anything differently.
Transition 2
  • 02m 43s
Comments:

I felt I was fairly quick here. I had a bit of trouble removing one of my cycling shoes off then I had to put socks on for the run but I had rolled them up earlier so I just rolled them on in an instant. I also had trouble putting on one of my runners then I laced them up, stood up and started running for the exit.

I'm wondering about the "no tie" shoelaces. Other than that I'll have to practice changing my shoes in a hurry.
Run
  • 36m 21s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 41s  min/mile
Comments:

Off the bike and starting running felt natural and I had no problems getting going I'm just still too slow. On the run I channelled my inner "Anne" and I just picked people and then ran until I passed them and kept doing that. My pace was slow but I kept going and I felt pretty comfortable except for a bit of higher heart rate (normal for me). I quite enjoyed the run through the park and ran up to a womanI was going to pass but when I came up beside her we started talking and I just stayed with her until we stopped at an Aid station for water then we continued on. We passed a volunteer that said it was 600m to the finish line and we passed a couple more people then came around to the beach where we had done the swim earlier. I saw my wife ahead cheering us in and she got a good picture of us about 250m from the finish then we ran to the finish line and I heard them say my name and the announcer even pronounced it correctly then across the finish line I was momentarily confused as I realized I could stop. As much as I'm not a runner I could've still gone further. They had water and gatorade at the finish line and the water was nice and cold. I should've had two. I stopped to talk to a fellow who said he had tried it two years ago but blew up in the swim so he was thrilled to have finished it this time.

Run faster. Talk to more people.
Post race
Warm down:

Within two minutes my heart rate had calmed down and I felt great if a bit buzzed. Found my wife very quickly and went to find some snacks. I had a coke (so good) and some watermelon. Within minutes I was ready to go again.
On my way to the transition area to collect my gear I heard the announcer say: "#491 our last competitor is approaching the finish line" so I looked to see it was the big Athena lady coming in. So I started cheering and clapping for her and the whole crowd cheered her across the line. I'm glad I got to see her finish because I would've always wondered what happened to her. Across the line a first aid attendant walked her into the Medical tent. I hope she'll continue to work out.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

A lifetime without exercise. Next year I'll be even faster.

Last updated: 2012-08-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:21:33 | 820 yards | 02m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/4
Overall: 271/306
Performance:
Suit: Not allowed
Course: A 750m circuit counterclockwise around a series of buoys.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 24C / 75F Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:15
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:45:51 | 12.43 miles | 16.27 mile/hr
Overall: 270/306
Performance: Good
The bike route was 2 laps of a 10km route through Kelowna.
Wind: None
Course: A short steep climb up Knox mountain then a fast flat and downhill course.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:43
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:21 | 03.11 miles | 11m 41s  min/mile
Overall: 285/306
Performance: Average
A 5km route through the Kelowna waterfront and park.
Course: Nice and shady with great scenery.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-20 11:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Penticton, BC
Subject: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Sprint Course

2012-08-21 8:21 AM
in reply to: #4372534

User image

Extreme Veteran
Alberta
Subject: RE: Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Sprint Course

Nice job! I am thinking of doing this race next year so I looked at your race report!

I say yes to the no tie shoe laces. I have clips on mine that work great. You also might want to try running sockless for the sprints. I recently tried this and it cut down on my transistion time considerably!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Kelowna Apple Triathlon - Sprint Course Rss Feed