United States
Columbia Triathlon Association
Sunny
Total Time = 9h 05m 54s
Overall Rank = DFL/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This will be a bit wordy, so bear with me! We were booked in to the Holiday Inn for the weekend, but my 6 year old got invited to a party so we cancelled the room, and decided that I would just drive up race morning. So I got up at 3:15, had oatmeal, mixed drinks and hit the road. I didn't realise that the queue to get in would stretch out quite so far, so I was happy to get parked by 6:20.
Event warmup:

Mostly standing in line for POP, jogged back to transition and set area up just in time for my wave to be called.
Swim
  • 1h 39m 29s
  • 2112 yards
  • 04m 43s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well this is where my grand plan began to unravel! I'd be able to do a 45-50 min mile in the pool, so was expecting an hour for the swim. How wrong can you be?! As soon as the swim started I panicked a little, and was able to do freestyle intermittently, with LOTS of breaststroke. I reached the turnaround at about 33 min, and figured I'd be OK for the cutoff since there was a slight current. Unfortunately my sighting was way off, and when I realised that I was near the boats, and there were no swimmers around me, I knew something was up. Sure enough, way to my left were the buoys, so I spent the rest of the swim fighting my way back across. A lifeguard crew rowed over at one piont, but must have realised that I was ok. Once it reached the 1hr 15 mark I just started praying that they'd let me slide and carry on. I deciced that I'd just keep on going and see what happens.
What would you do differently?:

LOTS of OWS training, along with some individual coaching.
Transition 1
  • 04m 17s
Comments:

I raced through this as I was expecting someone to come along and ask for my chip. When they didn't say anything, even after I went over the bike out mat, I knew I had a chance to carry on.
Bike
  • 3h 50m 30s
  • 56 miles
  • 14.58 mile/hr
Comments:

You've already read about the bike course, so you can imagine that since my swim had taken me almost twice as long as expected, I was a little tired around the edges! I did get into a decent rhythm for the first 15m, but had a hard time after that. The winds were a lot harder than I expected.I did pass one person, but she caught me up at about the 40 mile point. Apart from that it was a day of getting passed by everyone else. Most people gave words of encouragement, which were greatly appreciated. My drinking and gel ratio went to plan. I took a Clif bar along in case I felt hngry, but didn't eat it. I was glad to see the Cambridge town limits come into sight.

Train more on the bike! My training had been very patchy, with my working two jobs, plus overtime. My longest bike in training had only been 46 miles, so I learnt my lesson the hard way!
Transition 2
  • 05m 52s
Comments:

Went to the POP to get changed, as I found my tri shorts always chafed in training. Was still waiting to see if someone would come to get my chip. No one came, so set off on my run.
Run
  • 3h 25m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 15m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

It's certainly demoralizing watching everyone else finish as you start! But they (or should I say YOU) are the real triathletes, and I feel like a bit of an imposter! Anyway, I stuck to jogging between water stations, and walking whilst drinking. Once again, everyone was very encouraging, and there were plenty of high five's and 'keep it going big man's given to me. Once I got to the turnaround it was very quiet. I got caught at mile 7 by someone called Jen from Long Island, so it was nice to talk to someone for a little bit. Then she was off and it was back to being by myself. The volunteers were all great, as I stopped at the ones on the way back because they'd already cleared up and I didn't want them to have to pick up my cups down the street. I thanked everyone for staying out so long for us at the back (there were 3 people behind me), and they kept thanking me for coming! What a great bunch of people. My wife drove out to meet me with about 2 miles to go, as she had to leave and pick up my youngest from the party. So my 10 year old ran and walked the last 2 miles with me, which was a really good experience. One of the things we discussed was not quitting, which we'd told him when he was in a race last week and kept going even though the front runners were way ahead. We ran the last 1/4 mile in, and ASI photo just caught us as they were leaving, so hopefully that'll be a nice pic. Crossed the line and got my finisher's medal. I'd made it!

Run longer distances more often.Maybe let my HR go higher.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked a bit and drank some fluids. Wanted to wait for a massage, but needed to get on the road so paked up and left with son.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Too much work and not enough training! I've told my wife that next time (hopefully there'll be a next time) I'm just going to work one job so that I can follow a training plan more religiously.

Event comments:

This was an extremely humbling experience. The camaraderie amongst the triathletes was great. I do feel that with some work and some weight loss, I could have a better day. However, out of the 5 people who I know who entered the race, 2 DNS and the other 3 quit after the bike (one was actually knocked off his bike by another competitor), so I'm glad that I finished. Lastly, some of the members of this site gave me indirect inspiration, which was helpful esp during the run. Thanks for reading this far, and thanks to my son Joe who made me laugh so much during those last 2 miles.

Last updated: 2006-05-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:39:29 | 2112 yards | 04m 43s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Orca
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:17
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:50:30 | 56 miles | 14.58 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Flat and windy.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 05:52
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
03:25:49 | 13.1 miles | 15m 43s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Tried to keep HR 128-138.
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-06-13 7:41 AM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Subject: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon

2006-06-13 7:57 AM
in reply to: #452300

User image

Cycling Guru
Fulton, MD
Subject: RE: EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon
No my friend, you ARE a triathlete, and you finished the race, regardless of your time!

It was a brutal race, no doubt about it! Congrats on persevering to the end.
2006-06-13 8:10 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Jersey
Congratulations....you are a triathlete! It would've been easy to quit or stop, you didnt you kept going and you finished. Now you can plan around what you've learned and what you need to do to kick the next HIM's a$$....Never quit, Never surrender!
2006-06-13 8:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
You are a triathlete! you proved that you have the mental and physical ability to stick with it for the long haul. Congratulation!
2006-06-13 8:33 AM

User image

Winona, MN

Congratz! You are an inspiration for so many of us that have not even attempted a 70.3.

Thank you.

2006-06-14 8:49 PM

User image

Veteran
Delaware
Thanks for all your encouraging replies, I really appreciate them! I'm going to stick with this sport, but I think the full IM might be a way off yet Thanks again.

2006-06-14 9:00 PM

User image

Master
Portland, ME
That is a great report, you got me all choked up when you said your son ran with you!!! That is an experience that I'm sure both of you will never forget!

Congrats on your finish, I am inspired by your determination to fight though all the adversity you faced on that day.

2006-06-19 6:20 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
, Queensland
Gold member

There's a quote somewhere on this site that is "DFL>DNF>DNS" - remember that and don't knock the effort you gave to just keep grinding it out.

Well Done!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » EagleMan Ironman 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed