General Discussion Race Reports! » Spotsylvania YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Spotsylvania YMCA Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fredericksburg, Virginia
United States
Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 10m 34s
Overall Rank = 44/92
Age Group = Master Clyde.
Age Group Rank = 2/10
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4.30, cup of tea and a muffin on my own in the kitchen while house is asleep. Everything ready night before so ready to hit the road!
Event warmup:

A couple of laps of the pool which actually may not have been a great idea as my start time was still 45 mins away and it was quite chilly in the pool complex
Swim
  • 04m 24s
  • 250 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

Well organized, with good gap between set off ties and some spacing, so bunching was limited. Having said that the seeding was a bit odd, with some very slow swimmers going ahead. So overtook 2 or 3 and felt quite good overall. Such a short burst difficult to get any rhythm though.
What would you do differently?:

Not a great deal, still working on my flip turns, but it is still 50:50 which way I end up when I try these so not competition ready just yet.
Transition 1
  • 01m 49s
Comments:

Overall fine, no major problems. Saw some guys managed this in just over 20 seconds and on earth is that possible. Even running straight through from the pool without stopping would take more than this surely?

Not much, still debating whether to get bicycle clips which would probably speed this up a bit but otherwise happy. I did overtake a couple of guys running with my bike up to the mounting line which I guess is benefit of not having clips
Bike
  • 33m 32s
  • 11 miles
  • 19.68 mile/hr
Comments:

Nailed this, and in fact could have pushed a bit harder. My garmin told me I was just over 20 mph which would have been first time in competition, so a bit annoyed to just miss out usi time chip, must have been run after dismount that added extra time.

Course was really nice, nothing too severe in terms of gradient, got passed by a couple of super fast ladies and passed a couple of people, but otherwise just kept my head down and pumped!

Especially pleased as have done a ton of training doing the very hilly 14 mile commute to work and back at least 3 times a week. Glad hard work paid off.

Maybe push a bit harder as felt quite comfortable.
Transition 2
  • 00m 39s
Comments:

Super quick, was happy with this. Ranked 10 in race for this, again benefit of going without clips. Passed several people during this transition

Not much
Run
  • 30m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

This was always going to be my problem. First mile was just plain unpleasant, and just focused on hanging in there, not looking at my watch and thinking that I will be mad with myself for stopping and walking. The nice course helped in this regard as it required some concentration to keep safe footing. Eventually got into something approaching a rhythm but was really struggling. All the marshalls were great and really cheered my on, which was both good and a bit worrying as I must have looked like I was about to quit the way everyone was telling me to keep going. Managed a very feeble finish, but still a pretty dismal effort.

Should be able to do 25 mins, need to do more speed taking and dropping 20 lbs would probably help also.
Post race
Warm down:

None really,just a general collapse with some water and a banana. Came second in the Master Clydesdale category so hung around to collect my very first trophy, which am very proud of, making progress, just need to work on the running.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run was really diabolical, need to I prove as really dragged down overall performance. My strongest event is usually swimming, but difficult to get much benefit over such a short course.

Last updated: 2012-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:24 | 250 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 36/92
Performance: Good
Suit: No
Course: Snake swim in pool
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:49
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:33:32 | 11 miles | 19.68 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/10
Overall: 29/92
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:39
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:12 | 03.11 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/10
Overall: 67/92
Performance: Bad
Course: Really nice course, some pavement, through some woods on a mulch path. Up and down over bridge. Lots of fun with added spice of it raining when hit the course, which made the downhill parts a bit precarious.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-08-26 12:40 PM

Subject: Spotsylvania YMCA Sprint Triathlon

2012-08-26 4:09 PM
in reply to: #4380887

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: Spotsylvania YMCA Sprint Triathlon

Well congratulations!  Your first post is an RR!  Is this your first tri ever?  

Pool swims are a pain for proper seeding.  A lot of slower swimmers will seed more aggressively than they can swim cause they don't want to hang out and wait around.

2012-08-26 7:33 PM
in reply to: #4381097

Subject: RE: Spotsylvania YMCA Sprint Triathlon
Thanks! No, third sprint one, and have done one full distance. Just first one in 15 months. Have been injured for a while. Today's tru was good fun though, and got a prize which is very motivating to keep doing the training!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Spotsylvania YMCA Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed