General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lakeville, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Multisport Events
70'sF / 0C
Total Time = 2h 37m
Overall Rank = 110/643
Age Group = M 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/20
Event warmup:

Swam a few hundred yards to loosen up the shoulders.
Swim
  • 22m 16s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 22s / 100 yards
Comments:

This swim was actually really good for me. We started off with the rest of the 39 and under guys. Some went out fast. I tried to stay consistent. I started out sort of in the middle of everyone and was bumped around a bit, nothing major. About 1/3 of the way through people started to fall off the pace and bit and I was able to get out in the open. There were a group of 3-4 guys out in front, maybe 40 yards or so, that I could just see. I figured I would try to get up to them. I spent a few minutes going hard after them and was able to jump on the last guy's feet and just hung on really easy the rest of the way and let the other 3 guys pull me in. I think we were about the 2nd small group out of the water from our wave. I was breathing easy and felt like I could have gone harder, but was pleased to see my time and was ready to bike.
What would you do differently?:

Not much.
Transition 1
  • 02m 38s
Comments:

This transition was sort of long. Up the bank out of the water and around a building then cross the road and then across the field and into transition. My damn wetsuit was so stuck on my foot I could not stomp it off at all. It gave me a calf cramp trying to get the stupid thing off too.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 53s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 20.72 mile/hr
Comments:

Knowing my training up to date, I decided before the race started that I would keep it together on this bike course. The distance is easy to blow up on and I knew I would need good legs for the run. I spent most of the ride going at a moderate pace and never let my heart rate come up much at all. I think I got passed by two guys total on the bike and came into T2 with relatively good legs. I also used one water bottle to just spray myself. I never got hot, but this water really helped keep me comfortable.

Once I get some distance back in my legs, I will push harder at this distance.
Transition 2
  • 01m 37s
Comments:

Racked the bike, threw on socks and shoes and dumped the rest of the water on my head and ran out.

No socks....just didn't want to risk blisters without the running lately.
Run
  • 54m 37s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 08m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I went into this run with the mentality that I would break it up into 3 parts. First 2 miles would be like I was just going out for a normal training run. I would do this to keep the stomach cramps I have been plagued with at bay. Then after mile 2 I would pick it up to a pace that I knew my lunges could handle and for the last 2 just try to keep the pain out of my head my concentrating on breathing and push into the finish.

Well, it seemed like a great plan. I started out all by myself and was cruising along very comfortably. No cramps, not breathing hard. I probably made it about a half mile before I got passed. I checked my watch. Current mile pace was just over 8min/mile. I was feeling completely fine so I continued. Same feeling right after the first water stop. I was hot, so I dumped a cup of water over my head and had a drink of Heed. ...right passed the first left turn we had to make. Luckily a volunteer back at the aid station noticed and yelled at me. I'm an idiot. I was feeling so good that I thought there was a good chance I would actually be able to pick it up after the two mile mark. Well, mile 2-3 was gradual uphill and I watched my pace slowly decrease to about 8:30. I hit the end of the the 2nd mile and my heart rate had definitely come up a bunch...I'm guessing 10-15 bpm. I continued at that effort thru mile 3. I felt the cramps coming, but for some reason they never got bad. Mile 4-5 was out in the sun. This is when I started to feel like this was gonna suck. I got to mile 5 and my pace had fallen. I knew my heart rate was thru the roof and I was running just under 9 min/mile. The last mile had really sucked. I hit the aid station at mile 5 on the uphill and someone stepped right in front of me, enough so I had to come to a complete walk. I grabbed a cup of water..on the head, water to drink just to get rid of the viscous saliva in my mouth and continued. I probably walked for 10 seconds through the transition. Although it made me feel better, I lost the will to push hard.

The next mile just blew. That's really all I can say about it. I basically quit and wouldn't push my body to do what I wanted. The last 1/3 of a mile I decided I wasn't going to go out of the season without pushing it, so I picked up the pace and tried to catch the guy out in front of me. He was a good distance off when he turned to go into the woods. I knew I was gaining on him and I had another guy hunting me down as well. As we ran down the finishing shoot, I was on a dead sprint, sub 5 min/mile with the guy that had caught me just to my right. About 10 yards from the finish we caught the guy I was chasing. He was right in front of me with the other guy on my right. I had nowhere to go without just running him over. We all crossed the finishing line within what seemed like a second....with me at the back. Although a fun sprint to the finish, I wish I had sprinted one second earlier to edge the guy right in front of me...who was also in my age group of course.

I need to learn to suffer and not give up.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and waited for Kate to finish.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run....just general lack of training lately.

Last updated: 2012-04-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:22:16 | 1640 yards | 01m 22s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/20
Overall: 38/643
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex sleeveless
Course: Swim the entire perimeter of the lake. Out to the right, keeping buoys to the left.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:38
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:15:53 | 26.2 miles | 20.72 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/20
Overall: 98/643
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Fairly flat course with some small rolling hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: NA
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:37
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:54:37 | 06.2 miles | 08m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 16/20
Overall: 293/643
Performance: Below average
Course: Rolling hills. Gradual inclines/declines. Loop course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-08-27 11:42 AM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!
Subject: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course

2012-08-27 12:04 PM
in reply to: #4382177

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course
GREAT race, sorry about mile 5 but you kicked it in the end.  GREAT job!
2012-08-27 2:06 PM

That was me who got you for 5th.

I was dying in the last 100 yards as I put in a lot of effort in the last mile to catch you.  I saw you slow at the aid station and really had to work to catch you.  I actually thought you guys got me back in the sprint as we all swarmed the line together.  Didn't know until I checked the results !

2012-08-28 3:36 PM

User image

Pro
Seacoast, NH!

Thanks all!  I will be working on that run for sure.

Night Train....That last mile just sucked.  Props for kickin' my butt!

2012-08-29 9:54 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Jonathan despite the tough run you had a great race man. I think your swim and bike legs were really good especially if you have not been able to train as much as you would have liked. Also, good job in toughing out the run and finishing strong. That must have been something to see you guys sprinting down the chute to the finish. Congrats on great race.
2012-08-29 3:02 PM

User image

NH

This doesn’t look like a bad race at all Jonathan.  You had a pretty nice swim and certainly held back on the bike based on what I know you can do.

Your run doesn’t look as bad as you perceive it, but I wonder if your run pace was a little aggressive from the start based on what you’d been able to do this summer.  Overall, still looks like a solid race.  You certainly hammered it home.  How did Kate enjoy it?

2012-08-29 4:12 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

I agree with Warren.  I think this race looks like a decent race regardless of how you feel you did on the run.  The entire race looks fairly strong and you planned to go a little easier on the bike to save up for the run and given the lack of available time to train it seems like a very solid plan.

The swim looks like you may have been able to go a little harder knowing that you can smoke me in the pool.  But again, given the tie you have had available with the wedding planning and some of the extra work you have had to do I think you planned well.

Suffering on the run is definitely one of the worst feelings ever!  I find my mind telling me; "You have swam a mile already and ridden hard over X distance, you can relax a little bit."  Yet somehow I find the ability to ignore this and suffer some more.

2012-08-30 9:55 AM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Huh, not as bad as you implied in our thread.

The strategy for your run pacing sounds to me like a great one.  You said it was working well until you reached the 2 mile mark.  You also describe an uphill beginning there.  So here's an observation I made from your description: you were focusing on your pace rather than relative effort.  Of course you slowed down on an up hill.  So did all the other competitors.  If your effort level in the first 2 miles was 70%, then the next 2 miles could have been 80%.  And that 80% might have been 8:30/mile while going up hills.  That would have been good.  I wonder if you decided your race was a failure simply because you were watching your GPS?

Anyway, it sounds like you executed your swim perfectly.  Also, I think you rode very smart.  Perfect race execution up to the 2 mile mark on your run.  It also sounds like it got really hot out there in that sun.  That heat slows you down too.  and you need to see that as an environmental factor and not a weakness on your part.  Heat is like elevation gain.  You go slower, but it's understood that it is out of your control.

Good job Jonathan...at least up until the middle of the run where you got discouraged.  So let's focus on how great a job you were doing until then, OK?

By the way... over 8 hrs for an olympic tri?  That run must have been REALLY slow!

2012-08-30 10:18 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Jonathan....great race, your swim and bike were great and as far as your run goes.... you may not think it is good but I think it is awesome!
2012-08-31 2:08 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Great job out there!! I hope you had fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cranberry Trifest - Olympic Course Rss Feed