Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Water Levels at Guelph Lake and Lakeside Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-29 5:53 AM

User image

Veteran
Elmira, ON
Subject: Water Levels at Guelph Lake and Lakeside

I was talking to an avid triathlete last night at the pool.  He mentioned the water level at Guelph Lake looks significantly lower than years previously...and then the discussion drifted to Lakeside and what that lake is probably looking like right now.

My question.  Has anyone been down to Guelph Lake or Lakeside and seen the water levels?  Is there any significant change that would effect the swim portion? 

2012-08-29 10:27 AM
in reply to: #4385572

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Water Levels at Guelph Lake and Lakeside

haven't been there, but I wouldn't expect the water level at Lakeside to be all that affected. Lakeside is a spring fed lake (i.e., groundwater) and doesn't rely on surface water run off.  the water level might be down a bit, but I doubt it would be noticeable to the average person.  I have friends that swim there though and I can ask if you want.

As for Guelph Lake - I am guessing it is down.  This year at woodstock the water levels were LOW and I don't think it affected the race at all.  At guelph, personally, I would be worried about water quality.  I personally won't ever do Guelph II again.  That water is nasty in September.

2012-08-29 11:02 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-08-30 7:13 AM

Veteran
London, Ontario
Daffodil is right about Lakeside. Clean spring fed water and no quality issues...EVER! We will call out to Lakeside this week and get you an update on the level. I seriously doubt it will be an issue.

Edited by John Salt 2012-08-30 7:13 AM
2012-08-30 2:52 PM

Veteran
Elmira, ON

Awesome.

I am pretty bummed for missing Guelph Lake II because of a minor injury..but hyped about getting back to Lakeside and beating my time there from last year! 

Could you also make sure that the weather is slightly cool, and no wind for this Triathlon please? Cool

Thanks!

2012-08-30 3:45 PM

Groundwater levels have been down 1 to 2 m in the waterloo/guelph area compared to this time last year. Therefore Lakeside might be lower than normal (being groundwater fed). Guelph Lake is a reservoir that the conservation authority uses to assists with ultimately maintaining flow in the Grand River therefore it could be down significantly due to the dry year we have had. I drove by Guelph lake last week at the far end of the lake and saw a lot of the lake bottom, not sure how it is at the deeper portions where the race takes place.

2012-08-30 7:53 PM
in reply to: #4388732

Expert

m3fraser - 2012-08-30 4:45 PM Groundwater levels have been down 1 to 2 m in the waterloo/guelph area compared to this time last year. Therefore Lakeside might be lower than normal (being groundwater fed). Guelph Lake is a reservoir that the conservation authority uses to assists with ultimately maintaining flow in the Grand River therefore it could be down significantly due to the dry year we have had. I drove by Guelph lake last week at the far end of the lake and saw a lot of the lake bottom, not sure how it is at the deeper portions where the race takes place.

London's levels aren't that low.  maybe half a meter lower than normal at this time of year for groundwater? 

From my friend who regularly swims there "We've been at Lakeside all season. The water is quite low, and there are lots of weeds. Quality seems good, and we have rarely had to wear wetsuits"

2012-08-31 8:03 AM
in reply to: #4389039

Veteran
London, Ontario
Please remember that weeds are not an indication of poor water quality. The water quality at Lakeside is EXCELLENT. We also try and set the swim course in Lakeside to avoid the weeds if possible.
2012-08-31 1:45 PM

New user

I was at Guelph Lake for the Hillside Festival in late July and the water level was WAY down from previous years.  I would estimate the shore was over 5 feet lower than usual.  That being said it was at the height of the drought in the summer so it has probably rebounded some what over the last couple weeks and I don't think it would have much effect on the swim anyways as the water is quite deep for the swimming section and I think there is plenty of room to move the course further out.

I wouldn't be too concerned about it....I am sure Tri Sport would have a notice up if it were a problem.

Happy Racing,

Mark

2012-09-10 10:23 AM

I did the Guelph Lake mini sprint last weekend (Sep 1). The swim was close to being cancelled, and I wish it had been.. the water level was very low, causing everyone to trip over many rocks waiting to start. Everyone was complaining about the rocks and very muddy/murky water… I had a rough start because of the rocks (which normally wouldn’t have been a problem had the water level not been so low), and exiting the water was definitely a challenge. Scraped my foot exiting which significantly slowed down my transition to bike time... once i got out of the water it was an enjoyable course 

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Water Levels at Guelph Lake and Lakeside Rss Feed