General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Life Time Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Chicago, Illinois
United States
Life Time Chicago Triathlon
82F / 28C
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = DNF/
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I got up and got dressed and was out the door by 4:10a. I live about 5 miles away from transition, so I rode my bike there. I made it to transition by 4:45a and got body marked (actually got marked by a BTer, ha!). Transition is ENORMOUS, as big as you would think when you race with 5k of your closet friends (one TA for oly, sprint and the Triple challenge racers). My transition rack wasn't in good of a spot as it was last year, but I don't think that matters. It was still pretty dark out so I fumbled around a bit setting up my spot. One girl next to me had a headlamp - that's a pretty good idea! I walked through transition and tried to remember where I was. I was in wave 32, but there were a couple of racks for that wave so I tried to pick out landmarks.

Transition closed at 5:45 and my wave didn't go off until 8:22. I had a bag with my wetsuit, breakfast, sunglasses, water and phone. My breakfast was oatmeal with PB & banana so I filled that with (cold) water from the TA water stations and ate it while I walked from transition to the swim start. This is at least a quarter mile away. Went to the bathroom.
Event warmup:

Does my commute count? Sprint waves go off first so I watched those. I saw Mayor Emmanuel (Rahmbo!) on the run, which was pretty cool. Sat around with some friends. At one point the announcer said something like "let's thank the city of Chicago for the smooth course on Lake Shore Drive!" My friends and I just laughed. Around 7:50 I did some stretching and then put on my wetsuit around 8. I got in line for the swim start. You can't warm up in the water. I grabbed a few cups of water that were in the swim start line and poured one on my head and face, one on my arms and one down my wetsuit. I think that helps take away some of the initial shock of the lake water so keeps your heart rate under control.

This race is my last triathlon this year, so I wanted to go for broke and leave everything out on the course. I usually treat the swim more as a warmup, but for this race I wanted to do everything as fast as I could - swim fast, actually run to transition (I usually just shuffle as fast as I can in my wetsuit), bike fast and run fast.
Swim
  • 33m 30s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

My wave was allowed in the water at 8:20. I placed myself pretty close to the front, maybe the second or third row and somewhere in the middle in terms of left to right. The horn sounded and I just took off. I drafted on and off. More so I just kept my own pace and then if I came by someone who was going the same pace I would try to draft while keeping my pace and eventually we just got separated.

The nice thing about this swim is that it's along the seawall. So it's easy to navigate/sight and also easy to see your spectators. My mom wore a hot pink shirt so I could easily see her when I was breathing in that direction.

I exit the swim and my watch says 31:29 and I am THRILLED. Last year I think I exited the swim in 43 minutes (yup).

So this race is really a quadathlon bc it is SRBR. You exit the swim and must run at least 400m to get to the timing mats for transition (this is included in your swim time). The race had carpet this year so it was a lot easier on the feet. I am hauling a$$. Garmin has me running a 7:20 mile, which I didn't know was possible to run that fast in a wetsuit! Now I know. I took off my googles and cap and pulled my wetsuit down to my waist. I make it to the timing mats in about 2 minutes.
What would you do differently?:

Not too much - I did tape up my foot (PF) and about 3/4 of the way through the swim I stopped swimming so I could rip off that tape bc it was dragging behind me, so maybe I wouldn't tape my foot next time.
Transition 1
  • 02m 40s
Comments:

Of course I get lost in transition. Go down the wrong rack all the way to the end and realized I'm in the wrong spot. Stopped and took a few seconds to figure it out. I was one rack over and 2 racks down. Got out of the wetsuit, put on bike shoes, sunglasses and helmet and off I go.

Do a better job of walking through transition to memorize my spot! I did take off about 40 seconds from my time last year so I'm happy with the improvement.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 24.85 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Make it to the bike course and I'm doing some mental math - I had a time goal for this race and my swim and T1 were a little bit faster than what I had thought so I was getting excited about what my finishing time could be.

I'm heading north on LSD and everything is going well. I'm averaging about 20mph (fast for me!). It's crowded so I had to pay attention to when passing someone - in addition there are these deep cracks (thank you, Chicago!!) that separate the two lanes blocked off on LSD, so you have to be careful when passing someone so you don't wipe out.

Make it to the turnaround and then I took in a Gu about 20 minutes in. Heading south on LSD now and I want to pass around this girl, who was riding in the middle on the left lane. I call out "On your right" (yeah...we pass on the right here) to her twice, but she didn't move over. I decide to just go around her. I go around and get my wheel stuck in those cracks dividing the lanes. I fall on my right side and go skidding a couple of feet.

I land and unclip my shoes. I shake out my arms and legs and I know I didn't break anything. I jump up and pick my bike up. I see that I dropped the chain and I am thinking, "oh no big deal, this will only cost me 2 minutes, tops." I am not in a good spot - I'm on the far right side of the blocked lanes, so closest to traffic. I wait until there is a gap in the racers and I run to the other side so I am out of the way while I put my chain on.

I'm having a pretty tough time. I cannot get it back on! I'm becoming increasingly frustrated and panicking about how much time I am losing. So I tell myself to chill out and take a second to look at the big picture. Then I notice: cassette broken, derailleur in pieces, chain broken, right gear shifters and brake levers completely off my handlebars and there is blood all over my bike seat, all over my greasy chain and all over my handlebars.

So my race was over. I stood up and tried to think what I should do - I was at Diversey, so about halfway between the turnarounds at Foster and Chicago. I did not want to walk my bike back along the bike route. I decided to cross LSD and get to the harbor. THat was probably stupid (maybe I did hit my head?) bc I had to cross the two trafficked lanes.

I make it to the harbor and ask the first people I see if I can use their cell phones. I called my family, who picked me up and then I went to the medi tent to get cleaned up (just road rash on my arms and legs and some cuts on my hands)

1. I was obsessed with my time for this race! I wasn't thinking about what I was doing now and staying in the present and kept looking ahead. I should have been focused on biking safely - paying better attention to other racers and road conditions.
2. I should have called out to the girl again or waited for the road to have better conditions before I passed.

So yeah, I was just thinking GO GO GO FASTER FASTER FASTER! and while that is all good, I had blocked out everything else
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Post race
Warm down:

Got cleaned up in the medi tent, which was right next to the finish line. I had to walk backward through the post race party to get there. It was hard to be in there bc I saw all of the racers finishing and it was difficult to see everyone so tired but so happy. I really love that feeling in a race when you get to the point where you just want to quit bc it sucks so bad, but you continue and make it to the finish all spent but so happy and proud of yourself. And I didn't get to have that this race, sob!

Of course, I do realize the big picture. I broke my bike, not my body. I didn't skid into traffic. I bike commute and I had no issues with getting back on (my other) bike to get to work. There will be more races. And while road rash stings pretty bad, it has been kinda fun to revert back to a 5 year old and pick at the scab, haha!

Last updated: 2012-01-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:30 | 1640 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit: sleeveless
Course: Swim about 375m south toward the Field Museum, then 1125m north. Exit water at the Yacht Club. Stairs to exit and volunteers will grab your arms and pull you out.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:40
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 24.85 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: 2 loops along LSD, which closes 2 lanes of traffic in each direction. You pass on the right side.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-08-30 5:44 PM

User image

Regular
Chicago
Subject: Life Time Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Life Time Chicago Triathlon - Olympic Distance Rss Feed