General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-08-31 8:26 PM

User image

New user
Subject: First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

I'm wrapping up my first season of triathlon and had a blast.  Did a bunch of sprints and last weekend completed the Rev3 OOB Half.  Now I'm debating going for a full distance event.  My half went well with a good swim, and a good bike followed by a slow run.  I expected the run to be slow due to shattering my ankle years ago that cause it to get painful around mile 5 of steady running.  This causes my runs for most events to be slow.  It is what it is and I'm okay with that.  I know that I'll always have a BOP run (or walk at times), but for me the race is only against myself and the goal is completion.  So with that in mind...

I'm considering IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida (Panama City) in 2013.  IM Lake Placid is full and the idea of a destination kind of appeals to me.  IMMT is still open as well currently.  Any suggestions for which course would be more friendly to a first time IM racer?  This will probably be my only full distance event as I'd like to focus on Olympic distance.  It's easier with the family and work life, as well as on my body.  The full is on my bucket list though.  And I don't really care if it takes me 16:59.59 to finish.  

Any suggestions?

Shane

2012-08-31 8:54 PM
in reply to: #4390777

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida?

Actually I just registered for IMMT as my second IM.

IMFL is flat (pretty much) and IMMT is a hilly race. Depends on what you think you can handle.

I know it will be a challenge based on a few folks that have done the race. Check out the race reports for IMMT here on BT to get an idea.

Sounds like a really nice, and fun race for sure, but difficult.

2012-08-31 9:04 PM

User image

Master
Bedford, MA

I did the Tremblant 70.3 and am signed up for the full in 2013, so I'm a bit biased, but it's an awesome venue! Florida is, well Florida. I actually prefer a course that isn't flat, especially on the bike. In theory, you'd think a flat bike would be nice, but when there are downhills you can recover a little - stop peddling when it's flat and you just slow down.

I'd also suggest reading race reviews to get an idea of which you'd prefer.

2012-08-31 9:59 PM

I haven't done IMMT but have done Florida a couple of times. As has been said, a lot this depends on where you live and how you train. If you like hills some of my Austin friends really enjoyed IMMT. They loved the venue and the post event sightseeing seemed nice. 

That said, Florida is a great first timer venue. It may be a fairly bland bike route, but no matter your condition when you get off the bike you will appreciate the pancake flat course. When I last raced a couple of years ago I remember them announcing at the awards banquet that IMFL consistently has the highest finish % for 1st timers. 

Another thing IMFL has going for it is lodging. The race is in the off season of a spring break destination. We rent houses and condos for a fraction of what it costs at other race venues (I'm looking at you IMCdA). I think we're getting two 3 bedroom condos just off the race course for 4 nights for $500 total this year. 

Anyway, I think either location will have pros and cons, and either way you go it will be a special adventure. Good luck and happy training. 

-Joey
www.RocketScienceSports.com 

2012-09-01 5:36 AM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

I haven't done IM Florida so I can't compare but IMMT is a fantastic venue!  

They are two completely different courses from what I can tell though.  Ocean swim(?) vs lake swim, flat bike course vs NOT flat (at all).  

IMMT is quite spectator friendly IMO, my wife got to see me many times during the day (swim exit, bike start, bike kms 70,90,160, run out,19,21,40 and finish).  Accommodations are right on site, so she could just go back to the hotel room while waiting.  We have no kids but others that do said it was perfect for families. 

Hope that helps.

2012-09-01 8:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

2012-09-02 2:21 AM

Another vote for IMMT.  I did the 70.3 this past June, and am registered for both the 70.3 and the full IM there next Summer.  It is an amazing venue!
2012-09-02 8:17 AM

Expert
Ontario Canada

6 people from my Club did IMMT 2 weeks ago, they all loved the venue and said if you have any intention to do it next year you had better register as soon as possible because they predict that it is going to fill very very fast for next year. As mentioned very little comparison between IMMT and IMFL. IMFL is basicially flat and IMMT being on the Canadian shield is anything but, IMMT offers beautiful scenery and from what I understand the Local community is really getting behind it and local hospitality was excellent.

So if I had to pick a destination race I think IMMT would be the Pick, based on what I was told.

2012-09-02 11:10 PM

Veteran
Panama City, FL
I am biased living in Panama City, home of IMFL. Our local races throughout season on same course. Our water is usually nice that time of year (calm) , the bike is flat and on well paved roads, and you run in sight of the prettiest beaches in the country. We have the only national airport now built since 9/11 serviced by all major airlines including SW. plenty of off season cheap lodging. Much easier to get here now. Good luck!
2014-07-28 10:29 AM
in reply to: firemedic001918

how does IMMT compare with Wisconsin, Louisville and CdA?
I'm planning right now and those are possibles. Last possible would be be Boulder but I have no idea how to train for one-mile-high whilst in Germany
Any hints? Especialy about hilliness of the three possibles?
2014-07-28 10:47 AM
in reply to: firemedic001918

Champion
Dallas, TX

Originally posted by firemedic001918

I'm wrapping up my first season of triathlon and had a blast.  Did a bunch of sprints and last weekend completed the Rev3 OOB Half.  Now I'm debating going for a full distance event.  My half went well with a good swim, and a good bike followed by a slow run.  I expected the run to be slow due to shattering my ankle years ago that cause it to get painful around mile 5 of steady running.  This causes my runs for most events to be slow.  It is what it is and I'm okay with that.  I know that I'll always have a BOP run (or walk at times), but for me the race is only against myself and the goal is completion.  So with that in mind...

I'm considering IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida (Panama City) in 2013.  IM Lake Placid is full and the idea of a destination kind of appeals to me.  IMMT is still open as well currently.  Any suggestions for which course would be more friendly to a first time IM racer?  This will probably be my only full distance event as I'd like to focus on Olympic distance.  It's easier with the family and work life, as well as on my body.  The full is on my bucket list though.  And I don't really care if it takes me 16:59.59 to finish.  

Any suggestions?

Shane

Do you like hills and can you train on them? If you can, then IMMT. If you don't like them and/or can't train on them, then IMFL.  

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First IM - IM Mont Tremblant or IM Florida? Rss Feed