General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Nutrition - Paleo/Gluten Free Style? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-04 2:01 PM

Subject: IM Nutrition - Paleo/Gluten Free Style?

Trying to figure out what to do for nutrition for IMFL.  This would mainly be on the bike, I'll likely use GU Roctane and whatever else they have on the run course. 

I've gotten in a pretty good groove the last few months of eating whole, real foods............cannot state enough how life changing this has been.  Anyway, would it be crazy to take along some shrimp, fruits, maybe some bacon?  Basically the stuff I'd eat regularly?  Since I'll be slamming the GUs on the run, was kind of wanting to stay off of that kind of stuff on the bike.  

2012-09-05 12:37 PM
in reply to: #4394826

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Subject: RE: IM Nutrition - Paleo/Gluten Free Style?

Honestly, I would look at you a little funny if I saw you pull out some shrimp and bacon on the IM bike course - I'm also not sure how you'd keep a fish product "fresh" throughout a 5-hour-plus bike ride, with having to drop it off in a transition bag at ~5 a.m. the morning-of.

What are you doing for your long rides right now?

2012-09-05 2:21 PM
in reply to: #4396470

lisac957 - 2012-09-05 12:37 PM

Honestly, I would look at you a little funny if I saw you pull out some shrimp and bacon on the IM bike course - I'm also not sure how you'd keep a fish product "fresh" throughout a 5-hour-plus bike ride, with having to drop it off in a transition bag at ~5 a.m. the morning-of.

What are you doing for your long rides right now?

Thanks for your reply Lisa, I was hoping you would, you always seem to have such good feedback on all things nutrition.......

Well, I got this cooler with wheels, (it's really aero, full carbon) and I was going to hook it to the back of my bike, cause although I think I can make room for 15 or so shrimp in the bento box I'm not sure what to do with the cocktail sauce Smile

Seriously though, right now on longer rides/runs I'm using GU Roctanes and drinking G2/reg. gatorade.  I just wasn't sure I could/should do that for 11-12 hrs. (after the swim), so was trying to mix it up, but the first things that popped into my head were stuff I've used before that I don't eat anymore, like peanut butter and jelly sandwich and fig newtons. 

I've only done 3 HIM, and I get the impression that nutrition on the IM bike is a little more critical than it is for HIM bike?

2012-09-05 3:42 PM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Nutrition is definitely more critical the longer you go.
What about a all-in-one drink product like Infinit? It's still in the same ball park as gelss but yet different enough, at least for me, that it doesn't "seem" the same throughout the day (I switch to gels on the run).

I hope more paleo/GF Ironmen chime in, because I would love some more ideas for myself!

2012-09-05 4:04 PM

User image

Veteran
outskirts of town
Skratch Labs
2012-09-05 6:48 PM

User image

Expert
Maui, Hawaii

Not IM level yet, but do visit Nell Stephenson's website www.paleoista.com.  She's a competitive Ironman athlete and nutritionist/coach. 

2012-10-15 6:29 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Diego

Not sure if this info is too late for you, but I'm paleo and stuck to it for pretty much all of my IM training...though I went the convenience route for long rides/runs.  On race day, I had a packet of generation UCAN (waxy maize product.  Stuff is magical) 45 min before the swim.  Then had 2 packets during the bike.  That and water with nuun tablets was all I consumed and I felt fine.  UCAN is amazing, imo.  During the run, I switched to gels every 6-8 or so miles and peaches.  If you eat this way all the time, you'll need way fewer calories to perform.  Have you noticed that?  Let me know if you have any other questions.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » IM Nutrition - Paleo/Gluten Free Style? Rss Feed