Austin, Texas
United States
High Five Events
Total Time = 2h 17m 46s
Overall Rank = 12/990
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 2/65
Pre-race routine:

The usual routine. Nothing different and I was ready to race.
Event warmup:

After getting transition set up I went for the usual run to get loose. No warmup swim as it is not allowed in Lady Bird Lake.
Swim
  • 26m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 38s / 100 yards
Comments:

Everybody seems to think the swim was a little long. It may have been as times seemed slow but I really focused on staying as long as possible and wanted to have a decent swim for a change.

There was also some confusion on the last part of the swim as there was a green triangle turn buoy that a lot of people weren't sure if they were supposed to go around. I started swimming towards it then realized nobody else was going towards it and followed everyone else to the swim exit.

I was happy to be 4th out of the water and really felt that my focus on a long stroke really paid off as I got out of the water ahead of a lot of people that had been beating me out of the water. I just need to realize that a longer stroke with same effort will increas speed.

The extra OWS in Kailua probably didn't hurt either and I know with increased volume for IMCDA I'll be ready to go for that swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 32s
Comments:

Good transition as I got speed suit off and grabbed everything I needed. Looks like it was the 3rd fastest transition in our AG I did have some Saltstick tablets that fell out of my pocket just as I got on the bike but fortunately it was a non issue.
Bike
  • 1h 04m 24s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 23.15 mile/hr
Comments:

It's amazing how just a slightly higher saddle feels different. It feels much better on my knees but I can definitely feel it more in my hamstrings. I just need to get used to it as I was worried this might lead to cramps on the run.

I pushed hard on the bike but not OVERLY hard. I pulled ahead of everybody but 1 person that came out of the water ahead of me. The same guy beat me at CapTex and he had 5 minutes on me out of the water. We had a similar bike but I smoked him on the run.

I liked the effort and now that I seem to have cramping under control I think I can go a little harder on the bike. Of course, maybe the reason I'm not cramping is because I'm not pushing as hard on the bike. :)

More bike mileage in preparation for IMCDA will make me even stronger again next year.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Another good, quick transition. Fastest in my AG and 10th fastest overall.
Run
  • 42m 23s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 50s  min/mile
Comments:

Steady effort and held my pace well. I grabbed water and sports drink at every station. If there was a cup I grabbed it as it was VERY hot. Water got poured over my head and I drank the sports drink.

I never even came close to cramping and my mile splits were consistent across the board. I knew I wasn't going to catch the lead guy and I knew Jim was far enough behind that he wouldn'g catch me so I just wanted to stay at a good tempo pace.

I've put in a lot of miles last month and even without a lot of speedwork it paid off. With only 4 weeks until Kerville HIM I'll bump long runs to 16, increase mileage on mid-week runs and be sure to include 1 speed track workout a week.

Kerville will be the start to my IMCDA preparation. I won't start a specific IM build but I really just want to pack on the miles as it cools and we move into fall.

Mike, if you're reading this, it's time to get going and I'll call you right away. Let's go get it again!!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank LOTS. It was great to hang out with everybody and just had fun. Love this race and thanks to the great team at Jack and Adams for all they do for the Red Train (even though I wear the black kit :)).

Last updated: 2012-04-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 38s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/65
Overall: 58/990
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting: