World Triathlon Corporation
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 15h 17m 35s
Overall Rank = 1769/
Age Group = F 40-44
Age Group Rank = 68/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 3:00 got ready and go over last minute items. Fixed my oatmeal and out the door at 4:00. Finished the oatmeal by the time we got parked and quickly got lined up in the transition line at 4:15. Once transition opened I rushed right in, filled my water bottles and put air in the tires and off to the swim start I went. (While walking the bike into transition Saturday afternoon, I found I had a flat. Fixed the flat and then I worried all night wondering if I would have a flat again in the morning as I only had one more spare tire left. Thank goodness no tire issue in the morning). After walking the 1 mile to the swim start I sat down and made friends with those around me. Drank half a bottle of G2, ate a banana, gel and half a cliff bar all while waiting. I was will hydrated as I was in the port-a-potty line 3 times.
Swim
  • 1h 33m 52s
  • 4156 yards
  • 02m 16s / 100 yards
Comments:

I wanted to get close to the front of the line as I was worried with the time cut offs so I was very happy to see that I was not that far back. We got in the water about 5 minutes after the start. I really do believe that because I was able to start so early that it helped calmed my nerves.

I jumped into the river and just started swimming. Things were going good and then one time I lifted my head up I saw this guy like cutting in front of me and then next thing I know I got a kick to the ear. (first time I got kicked in the face). Not real sure why he was heading to the shore while we were all going straight. Found the sand bar and I did walk on it so I could catch my breath. I knew better but I went ahead and adjusted my goggles. Finally reached the turn around and headed down the river. By this time my goggles were fill of water so I found a kayak, hanged on and tried adjusting my goggles. Got back into the swimming mode, and had to fix my goggles again and once again I found a kayak. Finally, I got moving again and just focused on my strokes and moving forward, never did I panic. Once I reach the end and the volunteers were there to pull me in I took my time on the steps as I wanted to make sure I had my bearings before I moved.

What would you do differently?:

I would have liked to do more continuous long swims. I have swim the distance with intervals but never non stop.
Transition 1
  • 09m 10s
Comments:

Once I got in the tent I just wanted to sit there and question what I am doing, but my volunteer was dressing me before I even knew what was going on. She did a great job in getting me out the tent. I ate a Honey Stinger Waffle and drank some water.

As I was getting my bike I saw my father and brother in-law and it was great to see family.

Move!
Bike
  • 7h 34m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 14.79 mile/hr
Comments:

My goal here was just to take it easy, drink and eat. I couldn't believe the number of people passing me like they were trying to win the bike course when we were just working our way out of town. My plan was to drink every 3 miles, and eat every 45 minutes. I found that I was drinking more then every 3 miles which was fine as it was warming up. I had my Infinit mix in my aero bottle, a concentrated mixture and a bottle of water that I kept replacing at each aid station. I stopped at one aid station and was amazed that they had volunteers there just to hold your bikes while you went to the bathroom. It felt great to stand up, go to the bathroom and eat. Once I got back on the bike and headed into LaGrange I saw my father and he was making a big effort of shaking the KTC Racing Team bandana with a cow bell on the end that I couldn't miss it and there was my family cheering me on. What a great feeling to see and hear them. As I was working my way to start the 2nd loop I was asking people what time it was and when I was on the 2nd loop and they told me 1:00 I knew I would be an Ironman. All my worries of not making the cutoffs were erased and I was then able to enjoy the day. I stopped at the same aid station and this time was alarmed as the color of my pee was dark despite all the fluids I was taking in,and I was feeling good. After that I tried real hard to eat and drink more. I was just amazed at the number of people on the side of the road fixing flats or had just bonked. They were everywhere but I didn't let that bother me. Heading back into town was almost as worse as the rolling hills as we hit a strong headwind making those last mile extremely hard after what we had already done.

Work more on the bike and become stronger on the hills. Drink more.
Transition 2
  • 12m 50s
Comments:

I was talking to my volunteer and she said something that just clicked and I asked her if she was Amy. My volunteer was a member of my mentor group and I had no clue who she was or was even volunteering in the women's tent. She put the smile on my face that I needed.

Move faster but I enjoyed meeting Amy
Run
  • 5h 47m 16s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 15s  min/mile
Comments:

Felt real good when I first started running, despite knowing I needed to get fluids in me. The goal was to run to each aid station get what I needed while walking and then run to the next aid station and repeat. Was going after water, perform, cola and broth, alternating at each aid station trying to find something that worked. Felt like I had to go so somewhere I stopped at a port a potty and nothing, but I felt like I had to go. Hum.....not a good thing especially with drinking at least 2 cups of fluids at each aid station. Saw my family around mile 14 and my dad came out to run with me for about 100 yards, was going to stop if he didn't stop as I know he would have regretted it if he didn't stop soon. Stopped at my special needs bag, got a bag of gummy bears and notes from the family, went around the corner and saw the family again and this time I stopped as I was tired and didn't want to go another step. Told hubby that my stomach wasn't feeling good and I was going to have to walk the rest as I was beginning to get worried about being dehydrated. Hubby kissed me, told me I looked good and could finish around 10 and that he was proud of me. I have no clue where my strength came from but off I went till I was out of sight and then I walked. Walked for at least 3 miles, tired to start running again, was able to but for shorter distance only. I just wanted water that was not ice cold, was still trying to get fluids in me despite that I didn't want any. Once again I tried to go to the bathroom and nothing. At this point I just told myself get to the finish line and they can get fluids in me, but just move! Was walking more but I knew I would still make it, came to mile 25 and I was like I am running this in. Ran the 1.2 mile in and was soaking the day in. Came up on 4th street and I was like YES, I did this. Ran down the chute very excited as my dream just came true. I am an Ironman!

Would have liked to ran more. I probably could have ran more but I was wanting to make sure I was not hurting my body thus the reason why I walked mostly the last lap. Need to learn to work through the pain and stop worrying about things that probably were a non issue. (I didn't need fluids after crossing the finish line).
Post race
Warm down:

Walked thru the finish line area, greeted family, walked to the convention center, went to the bathroom, got a slice of pizza then headed back to the hotel.

Event comments:

This was my first Ironman and I had no idea what to expect. I just went in doing what I practice and not worry about anyone else and that really helped. Especially when I saw so many on the side of the road.

The volunteers were awesome!

Last updated: 2012-03-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:33:52 | 4156 yards | 02m 16s / 100yards
Age Group: 58/
Overall: 1721/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Out for 7 tenths of a mile around tip of Tow Head Island then down to Joes Crab shack
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 84F / 29C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 09:10
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
07:34:27 | 112 miles | 14.79 mile/hr
Age Group: 79/
Overall: 2028/
Performance: Below average
Wind:
Course: A very steep out and back and then 2 loops taking you through LaGrange and then back into town.
Road: Rough  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 12:50
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:47:16 | 26.2 miles | 13m 15s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Course: A short out and back on the bridge and then a 2 loop out and back in town before ending up at 4th Street Live
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-04 4:50 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Ironman Louisville

2012-09-04 8:53 PM
in reply to: #4395179

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville

You didn't even mention me, I am devastated!

Just kidding, it was  your day and you did great!  Loved the pictures.

2012-09-06 12:09 AM

User image

Veteran
Bendigo, Victoria
Congrats again Kat, you are such an inspiration! So glad you got to enjoy the finish!
2012-09-06 8:06 AM

User image

Elite

that was a brutal headwind!!! Mile 80 or so on!  its a very hard bike.  Deceptively hard, I think because it lulls you into a false sense of security those first 20 miles. People hit the out and back and say, oh, thats the hard part?? No problem! 

No, thats not the hard part!  Its the abuse of the heat, the humidity, and the hills over a 6 hour period (and longer for some of us, me included).  Plus you have the eager beavers that always just go out too hard.

Congrats to you.  It was not an easy day, and it is not an easy race!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Louisville Rss Feed