General Discussion Race Reports! » Popcorn Panic Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Popcorn Panic - Run5 Mile

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Valparaiso, Indiana
United States
Valparaiso Community Festivals and Events, Inc. (VCFE)
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 36m 39s
Overall Rank = 148/938
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/75
Pre-race routine:

Elliott woke up at about 5am (6am out time). I got up with him and fed him. I got dressed around 5:50am and then got on the road by 6:15am. We arrived at the tent at about 6:35 and picked out our packets. No food or drink before the race today. (A little different for me).
Event warmup:

Ryan and I ran about 0.3 miles at about 6:50am. I stretched at the start line for about 10 minutes.
Run
  • 36m 39s
  • 5 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

We started on a slight downhill down Lincolnway headed towards Campbell. It was a little challenging to get around the crowd in the first 1/4-1/2 mile, but I managed to get to the side of the road where it was a little more clear. Then we turned north onto Campbell Street, and we hit a pretty strong wind. There were several guys around me running a similar pace. I decided to use a little extra energy to speed up and tuck myself behind one of them. I switched from one to the next as they passed one another and stayed a little more clear of the wind. We turned off of Campbell and went through some neighbhorhoods on flat ground. I was feeling pretty good and knew I was keeping a good pace but just wasn't sure how long I could keep it up. When we crossed Campbell again, we started hitting more hills. I saw a neighbor of mine who I have never beat before and thought I was probably running too fast and should slow down. I ended up passing him anyway and kept going. A pretty steep uphill at around 3.5 miles took quite a bit out of me. We went over the bridge at Ogden Gardens at 4 miles, I got a sip of water, and I saw Keira cheering for me. That along with knowing I only had a mile left gave me a good push to the end. The downhill on Campbell felt so great, but heading back uphill down Lincolnway to the finish was tough after pushing so hard all race. I gave it all I had to the finish. What a race!
What would you do differently?:

Nothing! I beat my time from when I was 12 years old, and I got a new 5 mile PR!
Post race
Warm down:

No cool-down. Ryan had to get home immediately to get to the Notre Dame game.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I've had a sinus infection for the past 2 weeks. It's not completely gone yet.

Event comments:

I am always disappointed that this race doesn't have any food or drinks afterwards (except one bottle of water). I guess you are supposed to buy food from the boothes at the festival. It also bothers me that even though I pre-registered and signed up for a t-shirt that my size t-shirt was given away so that I ended up with one that is too big.

Last updated: 2012-07-25 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:39 | 05 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/75
Overall: 148/938
Performance: Good
Course: It was a somewhat out and back course with a few extra loops. It starts on Lincolnway, goes uphill north on Campbell, then winds around some neighborhoods including Forest Park and Ogden Gardens. The course is hilly for the area, with one steep hill around 3.5 miles. You also finish on a long, slight incline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-09 7:20 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: Popcorn Panic

2012-09-09 7:43 AM
in reply to: #4401969

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: RE: Popcorn Panic
GREAT job, 7.2 mm is GREAT  I'm envious.
2012-09-09 11:45 AM

User image

Expert
MI
So awesome!  I'm glad you were able to do this race and get a PR!  I also like the name of the race
2012-09-09 8:12 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

You are a very strong runner!!!  You seem to have a good grip on being able to run mentally hard.

Solid PR!!!  Great job!!

2012-09-10 7:07 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Allison congrats on a strong run and a new PR. You did a great job keeping your fast pace. I particularly liked how you "drafted" off some of the other runners and avoided the wind, very smart move I will have to remember that one.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Popcorn Panic Rss Feed