General Discussion Race Reports! » Knights of Columbus Patriot Day Run Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Knights of Columbus Patriot Day Run - Run10k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
O'Fallon, Missouri
United States
Big River Running
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 08m 40s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I had pretty much taken the last 3 days off (easy walk on Saturday) due to a sore hamstring. It was feeling good this morning though so I hoped it wouldn't affect my race - turned out it didn't bother me at all. Had some oatmeal and Gatorade then headed out to the race.
Event warmup:

Mad dash to and from the porta-potties just as the race was getting ready to start.
Run
  • 1h 08m 40s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

A perfect day for a race. And things went really well. It was a small race with most people doing the 5k so I knew I would be bringing up the rear, but decided I wasn't going to let it bother me today. I was just out for a nice training run. My goal 10k race is in 4 weeks so this was a bit of a test to see how that race might go. Hopefully it goes as well as this one did. I set my Garmin for 8/2 run/walk intervals and that turned out to be a good idea. I was hoping to keep the run intervals around 11:15-11:30 pace, most of them were closer to 11:00 but they didn't feel fast. The 2 minute walks were just enough to get my HR back down a little although I never really felt like it was too high. I didn't wear my HRM - kind of wish I had. Overall it was a great morning and a great race.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - I got pretty much the result I wanted and the run felt good.
Post race
Warm down:

Had some water and part of a Zone bar. Waited around for the attendance prizes (I won a water bottle), then headed home for a nap:).

Last updated: 2012-09-04 12:00 AM
Running
01:08:40 | 06.2 miles | 11m 05s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Twisting course through a nice, quiet, mostly shaded neighborhood. Two loops of the 5k course - mostly flat with only a few small hills.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes