General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Inside Out Sports White Lake International - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Elizabethtown, North Carolina
United States
Set Up Events
80F / 27C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 07m 59s
Overall Rank = 118/214
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 11/17
Event warmup:

Not much warmup. Just got in the water and made sure to wash the dust off my goggles and make sure they didn't leak.
Swim
  • 46m 49s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

I haven't swam since May so wasn't expecting much. I just wanted to finish with enough energy to have a good bike. Started off pretty slow but found someone to draft off of until the half-way point. At that time, the wave behind us caught up and I lost him in the mix. I felt good about the swim until I saw how long it took me. I was expecting about 40min or maybe just over but nearly 47 was shocking.
What would you do differently?:

Obviously I need to swim more.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

I didn't really care about anything but the bike today so took my time in transitions. Even put on socks and gloves!
At least I had the shoes on the bike and jumped on while running.
Bike
  • 1h 15m 29s
  • 27.96 miles
  • 22.22 mile/hr
Comments:

First race on the tri bike.
I rode the route the day before so I knew what to expect and which way the wind would blow. I get excited every time I get on the bike but I was still nervous I wouldn't be able to do as good as I wanted. I don't feel as comfortable or efficient and I was worried the aerobars would come loose again.
I was going about 20-21 for the first mile but knew it was with a headwind. Turned the corner and pushed hard for this section. It was a smooth freshly paved road with a great tailwind and a slight downhill. Was going 24 for most of the way. Turned onto 210 and the pavement changed. A little rougher, a little windier, and a little hillier. 21-22mph. Two people passed me on this section (I passed them back on the next though). I was starting to get tired coming back on 41 but just kept pushing through. Left turn to finish the loop around the lake and even though I didn't know what I was averaging, I knew I would be happy with it. Kept the pace up and pushed even harder on the last stretch to the finish. I must have passed 15people on that last mile. I know I started later with the terrible swim but it still felt great to not have a single person pass me.

Ate 400cal EFS and drank about 35oz water.
What would you do differently?:

Still want a bike fit and figure out why my shoe rubs the crank so much. Get more comfortable switching gears.
Transition 2
  • 02m 15s
Comments:

No rushing here either. Switched shoes, put on my hat/glasses and grabbed my gu's.
Run
  • 1h 00m 58s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 09m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I haven't ran since May either but hoped I could make a decent 10k. Told my parents to expect 75-90min time. Went out slow and walked a little at the beginning. My heart rate was still high (guessing) from the bike. Started back to running and just wanted to see how far I could go before walking again. Grabbed a towel and water at the first aid station. Kept going. Made it to the next one; still feeling good. Towel, water, run some more. The heat so getting pretty intense from the fresh pavement I was loving just an hour before. Keep going, I think I can make it to the turn around. After that, I started seeing familiar faces. Melissa, George, Bonnie, Tracey, and Steve. I only did 2 races before this and I miss that.
I'm still feeling good and there's something about heading towards the finish line that always helps me go faster. Another towel, another mile down. Turn the corner and it's even hotter. How does that happen? Finally on the last mile and I really push hard. Still have no idea what my pace was and as good as I thought I was doing, I couldn't have imagined I was doing sub 10min/miles. Great downhill finish with some tri-warriors waiting at the finish line. Such a great race; so much fun!
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

My goal was to avg 22mph on the bike and I averaged 22.3. I didn't know what to expect on the swim/run but I was pleasantly surprised at how well I did on the run.
My other goal was to decide if I want to continue triathlons or focus on the bike. I love the bike and will always enjoy it more than the others but I'm leaning towards continuing with tri's next year. It does mean I will have to convince Shelly to let me register for Ironman Texas again. It will put more stress on her and our relationship but I know I can't do it without her support and encouragement.
Then, I'll have to convince some locals to do it with me because doing it alone sucks!

Event comments:

I really enjoy White Lake races and any races put on by Setup Events. Always top notch.

Last updated: 2012-09-08 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:46:49 | 1640 yards | 02m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 17/17
Overall: 197/214
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Pier to pier triangle. Now the buoys are marked 100m, 200m, etc.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:15:29 | 27.96 miles | 22.22 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/17
Overall: 33/214
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Halfway around the lake and then a 20mile loop before finishing the other half of the lake.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:15
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:00:58 | 06.21 miles | 09m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/17
Overall: 114/214
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back along the lake loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-09 7:24 PM

User image

Fayetteville
Subject: Inside Out Sports White Lake International

2012-09-09 7:31 PM
in reply to: #4402593

User image

Elite
Whispering Pines, North Carolina
Subject: RE: Inside Out Sports White Lake International
Nice race, brother! You smoked the bike! Good job! Get a fit and you're going to own the bike!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Inside Out Sports White Lake International Rss Feed