United States
Pelican Coast Events, LLC
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 22m 58s
Overall Rank = 163/490
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 143/
Pre-race routine:

I'll start pre-race to include my lack of sleep. I suffered from the worst bout of insomnia. I went through my usual routine but just tossed and turned and only slept about 1/2 hour, 1 hour at the most then decided to roll out of bed at 3 to just start getting ready.

Ate a bagel with PB and honey and a cup of coffee. Started some light stretching and warmed up the core with a light ab session. Continued to stretch in the shower under some hot water. Gear and bike were ready to go from the night before, out the door by 4:40.

Arrived at the event at 5:20 and found parking in the nearest lot (only available if you have 3 or more people in your car). Went to the body marking station, then to my rack and got a good spot next to the bike exit. Went through pre-race routine of laying out my transition area, then staring at it for 10 minutes for no reason. Started applying sunblock and chomping on a banana. I had plenty of time to spare (or so I thought) so I visited my wife and friends who were there to support, also stopped by to chat with fellow BTer KloofyRoland and a tri-virgin friend of mine. With about 30 minutes to start I put on the wetsuit and started walking to the swim start.
Event warmup:

For some reason I brain-farted and thought that I had more time to warm up but it was a half mile walk in the sand to the swim start. I was able to get in the water with about 5 minutes to start. Water was warmer than I expected and I was able to practice diving under a few waves (I was paranoid about getting my goggles knocked off diving under waves during the start). Goggles remained affixed to my face nicely and I swam a little to warm up (wish I could have swam a little more though). Then, out of the water and off to the start line.
Swim
  • 15m 23s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have never done a running start into the waves for a start so it was pretty nerve racking in the beginning. I think there was about 40 people in the wave so I lined up on the right side during the start. When the gun went off I only had to dive under one big wave (goggles stayed on - thanks to advice from Lisa about tucking my head more). I pushed my pace hard for the first 50-100 yards to try and separate but wow it was like rugby out there. This is only my second tri so I'm not used to the washing machine yet but there was more punching and kicking than a Tae Bo class. I only got punched once really hard on the head but otherwise for some strange reason I kind of enjoyed the washing machine?!?!

The rest of the swim I had to deal with leaks in both my right and left goggles and swimming through A LOT of kelp beds but I was able to draft off of 2-3 different swimmers. My breathing and heart rate were probably elevated but I felt relatively good. This was my fastest swim to date for sure -- I trained with my swim buddy Lisa and it really paid off!
What would you do differently?:

Keep practicing my sighting. I went off course a touch about 500 yards in.
Keep OWS in swells. I swallowed a bunch of water!

Transition 1
  • 03m 50s
Comments:

The hill to T1 SUCKED. I told myself that I was going to jog up it but 1/4 of the way up my heart rate was way too elevated so I just fast walked the rest. T1 was smooth BUT got my wetsuit stuck on my heels for a good 20 seconds.

Practice transitions sooner than the week before the event.
Bike
  • 39m 10s
  • 12 miles
  • 18.38 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was pretty uneventful. I trained a lot of hills prior to the event (thanks KloofyRoland) so I didn't feel like I exerted too much. I stayed on the big chain for most of the course and really pushed the pace on the downhill portions trying to stay low on the drops and pushing my speed. I took sips of Nuun every 3 miles and made sure I spun higher gears near the finish to get blood into my legs.

Keep putting more miles on the bike during training.
Keep hill training.
More core/back exercises -- back was getting a little sore.
Transition 2
  • 01m 33s
Comments:

My calves cramped while putting on socks!

T2 would have been good minus the cramps. Maybe double the Nuun in my hydration or calf sleeves?
Run
  • 23m
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Starting the run the weather was starting to heat up a bit. The first part of the run went well. I was hoping to hit 7:45 to start (ran a 7:33 but was feeling good). I tried to save myself for the sand so I slowed down a touch (too much 8:02 2nd mile). Had to pick it up a little. The sand wasn't too bad although it was definitely working different muscles than I usually work. The hill up from the sand was bad though and I could feel my calves and quads locking up. Against better judgement I decided on walking up 3/4 of the hill. Once I crested I really had to push the pace and was still able to run a 7:25 for my final mile.

MORE hill training.
MORE hill training.
MORE hill training.
Post race
Warm down:

Muscle Milk and lots of fluids at the finish. I have to say that there was a lot of water, protein drinks, slushies, fruit juice and bagels at the finish. Nice spread! Walked around, reuinited with friends and family. Met with KloofyRoland (his ITBS flared b/c of the sand!) and cheered on my once-tri virgin Lisa to her finish!

Event comments:

The only reason I say Average for this is because the parking situation is truly a nightmare. Although we came early to get good parking they wouldn't let us leave until 10:45.

I think I trained well for this event. Although I could have tweaked a few things in my training here and there I finished under my desired goal of 1:30 and finished faster in my swim and bike than I thought that I would. I was really hoping to crack 22 minutes on my 5k but knowing that I walked up a hill and still hit 23 minutes felt pretty good too.

Again, I couldn't have done this without the support of my incredible wife. Roland thank you for pushing me on the bike and giving me good swim workouts. Lisa you were incredible in your first triathlon, my swim was great because you really are a dolphin! I was so happy to see such a huge crowd for support (Jeni-I can't believe the race announcer pulled you on stage because of the signs you made, Brian, Brett and Sam). The Tri-Rookies get my thanks for always putting up with me but being THE most supportive group of triathletes and I know.

What a wonderful gift it is to not only be blessed to be able and capable to train and enjoy races like this but to be able to share them with friends and loved ones!

Last updated: 2012-09-10 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:23 | 880 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 207/490
Performance: Good
Suit: 2xU Elite
Course: Point to Point, Right Shoulders to Buoys
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:50
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:39:10 | 12 miles | 18.38 mile/hr
Overall: 145/490
Wind: Little
Course: 2 Loops on PCH.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:33
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:00 | 03 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Overall: 152/490
Course: Out and back along Crystal Cove (some running along the beach on the sand, a little longer than a quarter mile)
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-10 12:12 PM

User image

Fullerton, CA
Subject: Pacific Coast Triathlon

2012-09-10 12:27 PM
in reply to: #4403661

User image

Master
Los Angeles, CA
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon
You really kicked butt man!  Congratulations on a great finish time for your first sprint!  =)
2012-09-10 4:19 PM
in reply to: #4403661

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon
Great report Bernard! Fantastic run.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Coast Triathlon Rss Feed