United States
Pelican Coast Events, LLC
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /490
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 0/55
Pre-race routine:

This ended up being my first DNF...

Up at 4:15. Grabbed 2 bananas, bagel w peanut butter, a Clif Bar and water. Loaded the car and left by 4:45. Parked in lot about 1.5 miles from start and road my bike to transition.

Got great spot on end closest to bike in/out.

Ate banana and 1/2 of bagel at 5. Ate Clif bar at 5:30. Had gel at 6:45 before 7:06 wave start.
Event warmup:

Walked 1/3 mile from transition to swim start with my neighbor. Swam perhaps 200 easy effort before coming back for beach start.
Swim
  • 14m
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Lined up on beach on inside right behind the guy who was racked next to me in transition....and who ended up winning our 40-44 age group. My intention was to try to stick with him out to the first bouy for a solid start. I lost him about 1/2 way to that bouy and proceeded to get passed by a good number of fast swimmers. I was really hoping to improve upon my 14 minute time from last year. I had a goggle issue early on with the right side leaking a bit. I did not draft much....big mistake, again! Finally, the seaweed was TERRIBLE! On three occasions one arm was tangled in the stuff and I literally came to a complete stop and had to pull my arm hard to get free!

Finished pretty well and hit the timing mat at 14 flat.
What would you do differently?:

Draft, draft, draft
Transition 1
  • 01m 55s
Comments:

Last year I walked up the crazy steep hill from the beach to transition. This year I was determined to run it. I did just that and passed people both walking and others running. I stepped out of my wetsuit off while putting on my helmet and glasses. Shoes were already clipped into my pedals so I just grabbed my bike and run to the mount line. Got my feet into my shoes before entering PCH.

4th fastest T1 of everyone!!

Nothing!
Bike
  • 32m 34s
  • 12 miles
  • 22.11 mile/hr
Comments:

I was really looking forward to the bike as I've been working hard on it. I got my feet into my pre-clipped shoes quickly and was out of the saddle right away to get up to speed. I was not passed one time and did plenty of passing. I've been working on attacking the hills by jumping out of the saddle as soon as I sense my cadence dropping. I stay in my biggest gear when coming off of a downhill and transitioning to the climb...out of the saddle and push hard for, ideally, the first few 100 yards, then drop to the saddle and downshift 2-3 gears while on the bullhorns. The out of the saddle for the final 50-100 yards of the hill and over the top. This strategy had me flying, but breathing very hard. I'd not worn my HR monitor, but I'm sure I was in zone 5 at the top of each hill. I'd push the downhills for the first 1/3 to get to about 35mph, then coast for a bit, then hammer hard for the final part of the downhill through the transition to the flat or hill.

No nutrition needed on such a short course, took in perhaps 1/3 of a water bottle mounted between my aero bars.

This was my strongest bike to date, I was very happy with the top split in the 40-44 and the 8th best overall.

Nothing
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This is where things fell apart....or rather my left calf decided I was done!

2 weeks ago when on an easy recovery run, my left calf stared hurting quite badly. I went to a physical therapist the next day and shut down all running until the day before this race. Pain had been 100% gone a week prior to the race and no pain on a 2 mile run the day before....even during a 1/2 mile hard effort at a 5:20 pace.

As soon as I took my first running step after dismounting, the pain was right back and with a vengeance. I knew I was in the hunt for winning my AG and likely a top 10 overall, but I just didn't want to risk turning a strain into a tear by pushing through the pain....thus, my day was over.

I racked my bike, removed my helmet and sat down in complete disbelief. While this would be my first DNF at a triathlon in my short 1 year "career" it was the 3rd in a row with "issues" that cost me the AG win. While there is no guarantee that I would have caught the AG winner here, I was expecting to run a 17:20 to 17:45 time, which would have put me within seconds of the winner here. At the Full Vineman I was stopped on the bike for 15 minutes for a road closure due to an accident, costing me the win there....and at The Auburn Half, I had a wrong turn and dropped my chain, also costing me the AG win.....ggggrrrrrrrr

Received more PT to insure my calf was 100%
Run
  • 00m
  • 3 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't run....see T2
Post race
Warm down:

Hobbled around, got a massage on my calf. Iced it when I got home and complained a lot!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Damn 43 year old calf!

Event comments:

Not much else to say here....very frustrating finish to a day that was so promising until I got off the bike!

Last updated: 2012-05-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:00 | 880 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 15/55
Overall: 120/490
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Xterra
Course:
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:32:34 | 12 miles | 22.11 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/55
Overall: 8/490
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: Rolling hills up and down PCH for two laps.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/55
Overall: 0/490
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-09-11 10:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: Pacific Coast Triathlon

2012-09-13 10:41 PM
in reply to: #4406885

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon
man that sucks balls. Nice job though. I mean, man......hope you heal up over the winter. Nice job.
2012-09-14 10:53 AM
in reply to: #4410739

User image

Veteran
Irvine
Subject: RE: Pacific Coast Triathlon

Thanks Darren. That's life, right? I just read your race report for the Lost Soul Ultra....holy crap! What an epic tale. Your report actually has me thinking that I may need to add trying to do a 100 miler to my bucket list! 

I'm hoping to heal up real quick as I have a 1/2 Iron in Palm Springs on Dec 1 and I'm doing the IM California 70.3 at the end of March....so the training continues!

Thanks again!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pacific Coast Triathlon Rss Feed