General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-25 8:39 AM
in reply to: paperwind

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
We are officially one month away! I've got two more weeks of tough training, and then taper begins! Time to start getting nervous...

2013-07-27 11:37 AM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Regular
Akron
tick tock...4 more weeks! Yikes! I'm in OH and it has been a cool 70 here. That would be terrific if it would be 70-80 race day, but I'm dreaming. I hope it gets hot again soon. I would like to train in the heat to prep again. So I bought a Torque swimskin. I have yet to try it out, but this week I will. Is anyone else wearing one? I need all the help I can get.lol
2013-07-27 11:37 AM

User image

Regular
Akron
tick tock...4 more weeks! Yikes! I'm in OH and it has been a cool 70 here. That would be terrific if it would be 70-80 race day, but I'm dreaming. I hope it gets hot again soon. I would like to train in the heat to prep again. So I bought a Torque swimskin. I have yet to try it out, but this week I will. Is anyone else wearing one? I need all the help I can get.lol
2013-07-28 1:29 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
I was in Lou yesterday and rode the course and then drove most of the run course. I can see where this bike course could really take a lot out of you if you aren't patient. Lot's of small rollers that can really wear you down.

If anyone has any questions about the course, feel free to ask and I will try and answer them as best I can while it is still fresh in my mind.
2013-07-28 3:07 PM
in reply to: scottyr7

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by scottyr7

I was in Lou yesterday and rode the course and then drove most of the run course. I can see where this bike course could really take a lot out of you if you aren't patient. Lot's of small rollers that can really wear you down.

If anyone has any questions about the course, feel free to ask and I will try and answer them as best I can while it is still fresh in my mind.

That's what I've heard about the bike course. What can you say about the run course?
2013-07-28 6:05 PM
in reply to: #4812421

User image

I been training on rolling hills so I hope that helps some. Does the wind help going out or coming back in or is it mostly up in the air? Also I bought an xterra speedsuit and love it. I plan on using it. Dunno if it really helps much but it mentally makes me feel better so I guess it's worth it.

2013-07-28 6:17 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

That's what I've heard about the bike course. What can you say about the run course?

I read something that IMKY wasn't exactly flat on the run. I know there aren't any huge hills (hopefully not) but I'm curious as well. Is it really pancake flat or is that a story??
2013-07-28 7:24 PM

User image

Louisville, KY
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

Originally posted by WoodrowCall

I read something that IMKY wasn't exactly flat on the run. I know there aren't any huge hills (hopefully not) but I'm curious as well. Is it really pancake flat or is that a story??

Pancake. Small elevation changes here and there but there are absolutely zero "hills."
2013-07-28 7:26 PM
in reply to: kevinlikestorun

User image

Louisville, KY
2013-07-28 7:46 PM

User image

New user

What should be the plan for attacking the bike course? I am unfortunately from Central Florida where it is very flat, though I've found some "hills" to train on, but mostly they've been either short and steep or fairly short rollers, not likely what I'll see in Louisville. The bike is my strength, but I've heard that taking it easy on the bike is the way to a better run (this is my first IM). So should I not worry about my speed on the uphills and just get them done, go as fast as I can on the downhills, and then try to have a good marathon?
2013-07-28 8:06 PM
in reply to: rquinn23

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by rquinn23

What should be the plan for attacking the bike course? I am unfortunately from Central Florida where it is very flat, though I've found some "hills" to train on, but mostly they've been either short and steep or fairly short rollers, not likely what I'll see in Louisville. The bike is my strength, but I've heard that taking it easy on the bike is the way to a better run (this is my first IM). So should I not worry about my speed on the uphills and just get them done, go as fast as I can on the downhills, and then try to have a good marathon?

The run is almost as flat as a marathon run could be. There are a few undulations but nothing that I would consider to be a hill.

As for the bike. There are two or three "climbs". The two larger climbs are both on the out and back section. Both of these climbs are short both are probably around two miles at most and only took 7 to 8 minutes. The other climb is on HWY 42 about 11 miles into the ride. Short but a little steep.

During my ride, I made it a point to stay in the saddle for all climbs. My plan for the bike is to just spin the uphills and make up time on the downhills (which unfortunately are short). I am also going to take the first loop easy, for two reasons.

1. Hitting all those rollers on the second loop fatigued would be rough, and
2. Once you get back onto HWY 42 headed back to Louisville, you can make up some serious time if you are able to spin a big gear. the last 25 miles or so could potentially be very fast.

Training on short steep rollers I think will actually turn out pretty well as that is what a very good chunk of the course is.

2013-07-28 8:58 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the info on the course!
2013-07-29 8:23 AM

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
Was so motivating watching the Lake Placid live feed last night! Next North American Ironman its out turn!
2013-07-29 1:28 PM

User image

Middle Georgia
sorry, but I don't think this bike course is one to ATTACK. I think you ought to SNEAK up on it. I rode most of it two different times in July. As a biker, I think the bike course deserves fear and respect. The heat, humidity, hills, cracks & pot holes, and fellow competitors will combine to deliver a very challenging day on the bike regardless of our bike strength.

Even when you get a chance to rest, you'll need to be watching for long cracks & seams in the road in addition to potholes and other hazards. Its not just the road obstacles, but I'm sure on race day there will be ejected competitor bottles, and last minute avoidance maneuvers that may also endanger you. On the climbs, especially on the 2nd loop, I'm sure there will be 3 abreast at times blocking faster riders again leading to risks.

The course itself, significant hills on the out & back section early that need proper pacing and alertness to position relative to fellow athletes, and then the seemingly endless stacked "rollers" that compromise the double loops in/out of Lagrange, will wear one down significantly unless paced properly.

My motto for the day will be don't drink the Kool Aid. Ride against my own plan, ignore others hammering the hills, save myself for a solid bike finish and leave some energy for the long run at the end.
2013-07-29 11:54 PM
in reply to: #4815215

User image

I will second this comment. I live here and have rode the full 112 several times. I think long and hard before attacking this course.

When turning left on 42 the seams in the road will take a toll mentally and physically. To make it worse you will have to do this twice.

The hills will wear you down. They are relentless. The only break in hills is the first 8 miles out and last 8 in.

In training, I tend too go to hard from the left turn on 42 which is 33 miles to T2. I am riding the course again this Sunday and will try to manage the last 33 a little better.

2013-07-30 8:26 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Yes. Also, when I rode the course, after the turn on 42 we hit a pretty strong headwind to go with the bumps. It was pretty rough.

Another note, they were doing some construction on River Rd. just a few miles from transition. Just an FYI to be cautious through this area.

2013-07-30 8:47 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Bib Numbers have been posted.

Sounds lucky to me!
2013-07-30 10:23 AM
in reply to: lakeview

User image

New user
Originally posted by lakeview

sorry, but I don't think this bike course is one to ATTACK. I think you ought to SNEAK up on it. I rode most of it two different times in July. As a biker, I think the bike course deserves fear and respect. The heat, humidity, hills, cracks & pot holes, and fellow competitors will combine to deliver a very challenging day on the bike regardless of our bike strength.

Even when you get a chance to rest, you'll need to be watching for long cracks & seams in the road in addition to potholes and other hazards. Its not just the road obstacles, but I'm sure on race day there will be ejected competitor bottles, and last minute avoidance maneuvers that may also endanger you. On the climbs, especially on the 2nd loop, I'm sure there will be 3 abreast at times blocking faster riders again leading to risks.

The course itself, significant hills on the out & back section early that need proper pacing and alertness to position relative to fellow athletes, and then the seemingly endless stacked "rollers" that compromise the double loops in/out of Lagrange, will wear one down significantly unless paced properly.

My motto for the day will be don't drink the Kool Aid. Ride against my own plan, ignore others hammering the hills, save myself for a solid bike finish and leave some energy for the long run at the end.

I probably should have chosen the word "approach" instead of "attack" as I really was questioning how I should look at handling the bike course. Everyone's comments are helpful and much appreciated, and I have been trying to get into the mindset of NOT worrying about pace on the bike course, NOT worrying about what everyone else is doing, and just race MY race. It is always tough for me on the bike, though, because I constantly wonder if I'm going hard enough vs. too hard. In my races this year (1 sprint, 2 Olys and a half) I pushed it pretty hard on the bike and still had great legs for the run. The half was the only race with any hills, and those were short rollers and some short but really steep climbs. So again, thanks everyone for your input!!! I am so excited!!
2013-07-30 1:03 PM

User image

Regular
Akron
HUAH! #503 HERE! SHAT IS GETTING DEEP NOW!
2013-07-30 2:51 PM
in reply to: #4816506

User image

Veteran
Raleigh
Bib 1952 for me. Excited and nervous at the same time.

Thanks to everyone for your posts about this event and course as being a first timer, this is valuable information.

Thanks again everyone!
2013-07-30 3:50 PM
in reply to: chickTSW

User image

Expert
Fort Riley, Kansas
#357 for me, getting anxious for the race, really starting to work out the race day logistics with my peeps

2013-07-31 7:57 AM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Veteran
Harrison, Oh
Bib #614 for me.

I can't believe how quickly this race has come upon us...LOL. I'm SO excited to be doing LOU again .
2013-07-31 10:07 AM
in reply to: marathongirl11

User image

New user
Philadelphia
Bib # 2525- That sounds lucky to me!

Right now with all the training and fatigue, I just want this to be over! Bring on the race!!!!!
2013-07-31 10:52 AM
in reply to: davidamitchell

User image

Veteran
bib #1344 checking in. 2 more weeks of training with 1 big brick at the end will lead into my taper. Fit just hit the Shan!

As far as the bike goes, most people will probably be very unhappy with their average pace for the first 80 miles or so unless you are accustomed to hills like Louisville will offer. I am fortunate enough to live in an area that has no flat roads and access to some very steep climbs if you want them. This has come in handy for training but it also slows down the average speed to the "what is wrong with me" category. My advice is to pace by power or HR if that is how you train and turn the average mph off . The last 20-30 miles are the section when you will make up some of the time you lost on the climbing but it still is not going to be what anyone from a flat area is used to seeing.

One last bit of advice. Just remind yourself repeatedly that the extra 20-30 minutes that a well paced bike may cost you will save most people 45 minutes to an hour on their run by not having to walk starting at mile 5 of the marathon. All of the people blasting up the hills on the bike course are the ones you will see death marching to the finish of the run. You can waive at them as you run past because you were smart on the bike.
2013-07-31 4:18 PM
in reply to: clemson05

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
As we get closer to the race, I have a few questions:
1. Watching the Full Circle video, I saw a lot of guys swimming topless. I'm willing to give it a shot to save a little bit of time on the swim. Anyone else put on a top after the swim? Thoughts?
2. In T1, is there a changing tent, or is it just a wide open field? I don't need a lot of privacy, but just trying to plan in my head.
3. Anyone plan on using their run/bike Special Needs bag? I'm not sure I can think of anything yet that I might want to put in there, but I'm open to suggestions.

We're getting close!

New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15