General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 15

2013-07-31 6:33 PM
in reply to: jillian_o

User image

Expert
Western WI
Subject: RE: Ironman Louisville : Official Thread
Originally posted by jillian_o

#357 for me, getting anxious for the race, really starting to work out the race day logistics with my peeps

I'm 356!!

2013-07-31 6:35 PM
in reply to: WoodrowCall

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
Originally posted by WoodrowCall

As we get closer to the race, I have a few questions:
1. Watching the Full Circle video, I saw a lot of guys swimming topless. I'm willing to give it a shot to save a little bit of time on the swim. Anyone else put on a top after the swim? Thoughts?
2. In T1, is there a changing tent, or is it just a wide open field? I don't need a lot of privacy, but just trying to plan in my head.
3. Anyone plan on using their run/bike Special Needs bag? I'm not sure I can think of anything yet that I might want to put in there, but I'm open to suggestions.

We're getting close!

1. I always go topless in non wetsuit legal swims. Put tritop from below like pants takes 2 seconds.
2. Tent
3. WIll put some extra lube in both and an extra tube in the bike in case of a flat. Don't plan on having to use either.
2013-07-31 6:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA

As we get closer to the race, I have a few questions:
1. Watching the Full Circle video, I saw a lot of guys swimming topless. I'm willing to give it a shot to save a little bit of time on the swim. Anyone else put on a top after the swim? Thoughts?
2. In T1, is there a changing tent, or is it just a wide open field? I don't need a lot of privacy, but just trying to plan in my head.
3. Anyone plan on using their run/bike Special Needs bag? I'm not sure I can think of anything yet that I might want to put in there, but I'm open to suggestions.

We're getting close!

1. I'm wearing a Torque Swimskin with my kit underneath.
2. Changing tent. Some people completely change for the bike and run.
3. BIke Bag: Nutrition, extra tube, chamois cream, and a treat. Probably a coke and something salty. Run Bag: Extra nutrition, dry socks (maybe), probably some Body Glide.

I might not need everything in the bags but at least I know it is there.
2013-08-01 9:40 AM
in reply to: scottyr7

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Thanks for the replies on the bag contents. I'm interested, how many of you out there change completely after the swim? As this is my first Iron-distance race, it's never even occurred to me to do a complete change.
2013-08-01 11:26 AM

User image

New user

Thanks for the replies on the bag contents. I'm interested, how many of you out there change completely after the swim? As this is my first Iron-distance race, it's never even occurred to me to do a complete change.

This is also my first IM distance, and I asked this question of a few forums early on. I have decided to NOT change--I will wear a two-piece tri kit the entire time. My swim would not be helped that much with a skin suit, so I am not worried about the minimal drag that the pockets on my tri kit might cause. The kit is black, so the issue of staining from the water won't be an issue (not a visible one, anyway!). I cannot wear regular bike shorts with my Adamo saddle--the position I'm in combined with extra padding in bike shorts makes it very uncomfortable, so I go with more minimal padding from tri shorts (yes, there is discomfort, but nothing unbearable). Finally, with the heat and the amount I sweat, I would much rather run in tri shorts rather than running shorts because I hate the way running shorts stick and bunch when they get sweaty.

I will bike without socks and run with socks, and will put a pair of socks in both bike and run special needs, just in case, though I don't expect to have to use them. I am training in Central Florida where the humidity is extremely high, and yes, my feet get soaked from sweat, but I have not experienced blisters yet, so I should be okay as planned.

Again, first time IM, but I have given this a LOT of thought over the past few months and feel good about what I'll be wearing.

It's August! Almost there! Woo hoo!
2013-08-01 11:32 AM

User image

Chicago, IL

I don't plan on making a full change, I'll probably just follow what I've done for all my previous Oly and HIM races.

My plan, as of right now, is to wear compression shorts, which I will keep on for the entire race:
- Solo for the swim
- Under bike shorts for the bike leg. The thought of not having a much padding as possible for 112 miles makes me shudder
- Under running shorts for the marathon

I probably don't need to keep them on, but it's what I've trained in and it's worked for me in prior races. I'm not about to reinvent the wheel this close to the event.

3 weeks today until I drive down to Louisville.
It's getting very real.
Bib #1834.

2013-08-01 12:20 PM
in reply to: pmtaylor621

User image

Regular
Akron
I'm wearing a swim skin with my tri gear (2 piece) under it. I will keep everything on for the race. Might put an extra pair of socks in a T bag though
2013-08-01 5:31 PM
in reply to: SEADOCHA

User image

Expert
Western WI
Hey someone brought up a good point! Alot of my kit is white - is the river water going to stain it? Should I swim in shorts and a bra top and add the kit in T1?? I don't want to stain it and would have no problem changing in T1 to avoid this.

How dirty is that darn river?!
2013-08-01 8:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Villanova
I will go with tri shorts only on swim.
I will make a full change to two piece kit for bike.
I will make a change of just bottoms for run.
I'm not going to KQ so the extra 30 seconds at t1 and t2 for hours of comfort is worth it for me!
2013-08-02 7:45 AM
in reply to: japewang

New user
Envious of y'all. I did Louisvile last year and think about it still daily. I have suggested this before and here goes again. Look up "The Four Keys to Ironman Louisville" on you tube. Follow his advice and you will have a great day. He knows what he is talking about.
As for the swim and what to wear. I wore just jammers and was happy. I did notice that everyone I saw through e rest of the day that had worn something white in the swim that it had a light brown tinge to it. It had to have been permanently stained. Just remember that.
Good luck and I know y'all will do good. Have fun.
2013-08-02 10:41 AM
in reply to: cedar creek

User image

Regular
Akron
does anyone know if there is still a huge pothole after some railroad tracks? I saw that on an Endurance Nation video, but it was a year or 2 old. If so, can you tell about what mile that is? Not sure how many tracks you have to cross

2013-08-02 11:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Originally posted by SEADOCHA

does anyone know if there is still a huge pothole after some railroad tracks? I saw that on an Endurance Nation video, but it was a year or 2 old. If so, can you tell about what mile that is? Not sure how many tracks you have to cross

There are some tracks that you have to cross. It is a pretty rough crossing with some large bumps. I did not notice any big potholes. Could have been there though. The tracks are on River Rd. The tracks are about 1.5 miles from transition.
2013-08-04 10:40 AM

Olathe, Kansas
Rode the full course yesterday. There were quite a few large potholes scattered around the course.. If you have time, I would at least drive it to get a feel for where they are. Also, the bridge on the out and back is still very rough. Saw a couple bottles get ejected when people hit the bumps.
2013-08-04 3:55 PM
in reply to: avtiger

User image

Regular
Akron
so I've been wandering if I can bring one of those seat cushions and sit on it during the wait for the swim. I was just going to hand it off to someone in the crowd when we start moving. Is the crowd close to the swim line where I can do this?
2013-08-04 11:37 PM
in reply to: #4817062

User image

I think you could hand it off. The crowd is right next to the swim start. Although it doesn't take too long to get everyone in the water. I would watch some videos on YouTube of the Lou swim start.
2013-08-05 8:09 AM
in reply to: paperwind

User image

Middle Georgia
If your going to do a short recon ride, I ride the out & back section so your not surprised and can develop a good plan for how hard to ride it. Its not too far from town and you can park on the shoulder at the start of it. If you want a longer ride, I'd ride the main loop once. Again, lots of hills to pace and some turns to be aware of.

2013-08-05 10:35 AM

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member

Originally posted by SEADOCHA so I've been wandering if I can bring one of those seat cushions and sit on it during the wait for the swim. I was just going to hand it off to someone in the crowd when we start moving. Is the crowd close to the swim line where I can do this?

In my experience the crowds were gathered at the swim start, not "in line" with the athletes. I mean maybe some, but the majority waited at the entrance to see their athlete start. It might be tough to find your people to hand it off to while the line is moving quickly, just keep that in mind. Most people just sit on the grass while they're waiting...

2013-08-05 11:28 PM
in reply to: #4821015

User image

A note on the bike course. The right turn at the end of Ballard School Rd is less than 90 degrees. Very sharp and at the bottom of a hill.
2013-08-06 10:15 AM
in reply to: Calvin386

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
That's one lonely quiet road too
2013-08-06 12:23 PM
in reply to: TriRx

User image

Regular
Originally posted by TriRx

Hey someone brought up a good point! Alot of my kit is white - is the river water going to stain it? Should I swim in shorts and a bra top and add the kit in T1?? I don't want to stain it and would have no problem changing in T1 to avoid this.

How dirty is that darn river?!

Yes it will stain primarily around the seams. I used a brand new Forza suit last year and it was immediately demoted to a training suit. Still functional but a little gross.
2013-08-06 12:43 PM
in reply to: 7ofClubs

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cleveland Area
After the turn as you pass by the islands and before the bridges, also be prepared for the smell/taste of diesel fuel, at least that was my experience in 2011.

2013-08-06 5:57 PM
in reply to: abrezo

User image

Extreme Veteran
Collierville, Tennessee
Originally posted by abrezo

After the turn as you pass by the islands and before the bridges, also be prepared for the smell/taste of diesel fuel, at least that was my experience in 2011.

2013-08-06 6:37 PM
in reply to: abrezo

User image

Regular
Akron
Originally posted by abrezo

Hey someone called me a diesel one day when I was training. Maybe this will be a sign???!!!
2013-08-07 12:01 PM
in reply to: japewang

New user

You may check the schedule for this year, but in years past you HAD to check in on Friday as there was NO saturday athlete check-in.
2013-08-07 10:56 PM
in reply to: #4822023

User image

That is the case. No Saturday check in.
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Louisville : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 15