General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Damn technology! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-09-14 6:00 PM

User image

Utah
Subject: Damn technology!
Just bought the Timex Global Trainer...came in the mail yesterday. Downloaded all of the software, the device agent, etc. Go to sync the watch with it and it doesn't recognize the watch. I have googled "download global trainer driver" and it just sends me in loops of downloading what I have already downloaded. Anyone else have this problem? So dang frustrated! I tried calling their support, but of course, they only work from 8:30-4:30 M-F CENTRAL TIME. Hope I don't have to send this thing back....

2012-09-14 6:13 PM
in reply to: #4412177

User image

Expert
Scottsdale, AZ
Subject: RE: Damn technology!
Did you select the drop down at the top of the device agent to show "Global Trainer"?  I believe it's defaulted to Run Trainer or some other device and it will not sync until you select your watch.
2012-09-14 6:30 PM

User image

Utah
Yep, did that. The watch just keeps reading "Waiting on PC" and never changes. Dang it!
2012-09-14 6:49 PM

User image

Veteran
indiana
Buy a Mac tomorrow. Then you won't have to wait on the pc.
2012-09-14 9:36 PM

User image

I will apologize upfront for the lack of any technologically correct terms.  I had this problem the other night when I was trying to get my workouts off the watch.  I unhooked everything, USB and the clip-on watch part and closed the Device Agent.  Then I opened the Device Agent and hooked it all back in.  Toggled the clip part that attaches ti the watch sensors and then everything worked fine.

If you go to their help forums online you might find some answers and they are good about responding to tech support tickets.

http://support.trainingpeaks.com/device-agent.aspx

It does work but I have cursed it many times--mostly due to user error Embarassed

2012-09-15 8:27 AM
in reply to: #4412227

Extreme Veteran

ditchmedic - 2012-09-14 6:49 PM Buy a Mac tomorrow. Then you won't have to wait on the pc.

no, you'll just have to wait on your bank account to go through therapy from the raping it just got.

I've found it to be the USB port that can cause the issue at times with my garmin.

2012-09-15 8:55 AM

User image

Regular
Montreal, Canada

The first time  you connect the watch to the PC via the USB cable it ?should automatically  "create" a COM port. . It took me a few times to get that COM port created (had to restart the PC, unplug and plug again USB cable, try different USB ports).

You can check if the port is created on the top of the device agent and/or in your PC control panel->device manager. 

Hope this helps

2012-09-15 11:46 PM

User image

Utah

I had to do a factory reset on it, because I finally got the computer to recognize it, played with the custom screens to get it like I thought I would want it, only to find when I put it on, I didn't like it.  I tried to fix it again through the computer, and couldn't figure out HOW to get it back like it was.  Finally found a thread on how to do a hard reset.  Used it for the first time in a race today, and it was just ok, though I am sure there is a learning curve with it.  Tried to come home and upload the data to the computer...only to find out the computer doesn't recognize it today like it did last night.  Oy veh.

I am hoping this is just a learning curve with a new piece of technology...or else it is going back.  I am going to give it a couple of weeks and see how I like it.  But I have tried all of the above, and though it hooked up to the computer last night, today I was back at square one.  So frustrated!

2012-09-16 6:08 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Had our own damn technology moment yesterday. Was doing a local dualthon (5krun,21mile bike) and apparently when they started doing the duathlon awards after the 5k only peoples the system was "screwed up". So no one got awards and my sister decided to give back her third oa award. They blamed it on technology but, from what I hear the timing guy screwed up. I dunno.

I know that I did get first in my ag and placed fourth overall. Was the fifth person to cross the line behind one relay team and three age groupers!
2012-09-16 10:46 AM
in reply to: #4412545

User image

Master
Bellevue, WA
fdulak - 2012-09-15 6:55 AM

The first time  you connect the watch to the PC via the USB cable it ?should automatically  "create" a COM port. . It took me a few times to get that COM port created (had to restart the PC, unplug and plug again USB cable, try different USB ports).

You can check if the port is created on the top of the device agent and/or in your PC control panel->device manager. 

Hope this helps

Argh - USB to COM port things are generally a disaster. 

COM ports (aka serial ports) are 1988 technology (when Dinosaurs Ruled the Earth).  We in the technology industry consider serial ports to be one of the "legacy" technologies and most PCs built since 2006 are "legacy-free".  They just don't have COM ports, they just bristle with USB ports.  USB is a much better technology...

This is 2012.  If your device requires a special adapter that's USB on one end and COM on the other to connect to the device, I respectfully say "chuck that device and get a more modern one".  Not worth the hassle.  Garmin, for instance, is straight standard USB all the way.

If you're stuck with USB to COM cables, then there are a few good ones and many junk ones.  I recall that with my CompuTrainer (another ancient piece of technology) the PC crashed all the time and I traced it to the no-name USB->COM port adapter included with my CT.  After much forum hunting I found a name-brand adapter and many crashing problems went away.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Damn technology! Rss Feed