General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
San Diego, California
United States
Competitor Group Inc.
71F / 22C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 30s
Overall Rank = 399/503
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 20/25
Pre-race routine:

My routine started the day before the race. I planned when and what type of meal I would. However, that all went out the window when I ended up trying to coordinate family and my dad getting to San Diego. But I had fish tacos with rice and black beans for a late lunch; early dinner. Some crackers later in the evening the night prior. I was worried I did not eat enough to sustain me. Visualize the race from beginning to end, hoping to drift off to sleep. I maybe got a few winks but hardly slept that night and my room clock was an hour fast so I ended up at the event at 4:15 am; the same time as the volunteers. Found some oatmeal at a Starbucks and a bran muffin along with my usual Rockstar!
Event warmup:

Road my bike to the event, maybe a quarter mile. Then some stretching. I did a quick jog around the park but wasn't sure that was going to be enough of a warm up. I was really nervous, thinking of all the times I didn't push myself or lack of training. Thinking I didn't want to come in last again and wondered if I had done enough to accomplish the goal of not finishing last!
Swim
  • 37m 33s
  • 1640 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Literally, as soon as my feet hit the water, my left foot first and then my right, contorted in odd angles. They cramped so badly fear engulfed my train of thought that I would not even be able to start. Fortunately, it was a short swim to the start line and my disfigured feet relaxed and the cramp released each limb. I had to remain relaxed and told myself to enjoy the moment. As the announcer called the last few seconds before the start I pulled my goggles over my eyes to find, to my horror, my goggles were covered in goop! Greasy thick goop, maybe conditioner but there was no smell. I could not see anything, panic welled up in my throat and I may have even shouted, "wait! I can't see!", as I feverishly tried to wash the slime from each lens. They did not wait...I could not even see the person in front of me! Swimming without the goggles didn't help any. I had to keep stopping to lift my goggles to site. I was all over the course, zig zagging to and fro. I knew if I didn't just calm down and keep my frustration down to a minimum I would wear myself out before the swim was complete. Lifting my head and raising my goggles constantly slowed me down but at that point it was all I could do. My mind raced, this portion may make me dead last so I knew I had to pass someone, anyone, on the swim and then make it up in the bike. So I saw someone ahead of me and just kept pushing until I caught up to her and passed her. Not by much but I made sure I was out of the water before the last green cap. It was close!
What would you do differently?:

Check my gear more through prior to the race start. Do not be afraid to push myself in training.
Transition 1
  • 03m 29s
Comments:

I was a bit shaky after the swim; maybe nerves and emotion from the rough start? As usual I had to sit down to put my shoes on my feet. Jogged and walked my bike to the mounting spot and left the nerves behind me. The bike was going to be my event to catch up to my goals.

Practice more. I really did not run through the transition practice enough prior to the race. Especially since I was using a new kit and race belt instead of pinning my number on and putting on my jersey.
Bike
  • 1h 12m 8s
  • 21 miles
  • 17.47 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was going to be my strongest event. I pushed hard to keep up with others, Fatty to fatty Suzie, not a nice name but she was a big girl who could really ride...she lost me. And that big guy. He and I kept going back and forth passing eachother. He found some crazy strength and left me in the dust. I thought I could get him on the final small hill because I kept passing him on the hills. Nope he stayed ahead of me but was dying in transition as I jogged out he was still horking up a lung.
My goals for the bike were to take in my blocks, gu and water and was to do 18 mph; I was close, 17.5 but if its 25.5 then I am 19 mph!

Intervals...again stop letting fear keep me from pushing so hard I can't help but get better.
Transition 2
  • 04m 35s
Comments:

Took some time to take in some additional fuel because I really bonked on the bike and run last year. Fuel was the name of the game for me this year. I started my run with my helmet still on and had to run back...I tossed the helmet to my area and took off running.

Practice
Run
  • 1h 17m 43s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 12m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

Fuel baby fuel! I had a combination of blocks and gu and I took water to not only drink but pour over my head at every station along with heed. Whatever they were selling I was buying. The heat was starting to pick up at that point so I wanted to stay cool as much as I could. My two goals were to race with a pleasant face and do a sub 12 min mile. The pleasant face was accomplished by the pace was just missed.

Push a little harder. I was glad to know that though I pushed on the bike that did not take everything I had out of me. Please with my run I can see that I am much more capable. I take it too easy and tend to think I am working harder than I am during training.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk a little stretching...not nearly enough. But I was dead after the race. I really gave a lot more than I usually do because I could not even muster enough energy to eat my pancake breakfast...I did however, manage to make it to the beer garden to claim my two after race beers! Red Hook IPA..those beers did more for my recovery than any mix.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My limitations? One, not checking every piece of my gear prior to the race, two, transition training, and three, not enough intensity in my training. Considering how I felt after the race much was not left to give. That was the most I had pushed in a long time. My main goal, NOT TO FINISH LAST, was accomplished. Other goals were close but no cigar. I am pleased and learned a lot about what I want... Can I improve by 45 minutes next year? With enough work, possibly!

Event comments:

The improvements at this race made a world of difference. I attended the Malibu Triathlon the following week and the expo was amazing! The Malibu Tri had Food trucks, hair cuts from Paul Mitchell, massages, and lots of raffles.You can't throw a stick in San Diego without hitting a triathlete so I would expect a bigger expo. But then again there was a big tri prior so maybe the vendors attend that one instead of the Rock n Roll series.

Last updated: 2011-09-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:33 | 1640 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 19/25
Overall: 394/503
Performance: Below average
Suit: Kit Scudo
Course: In the San Diego Bay. Out the Marina turning right to swim to a buoy, around the buoy across to the next buoy. Swim back past the marina opening around another buoy and then back into the marina.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:29
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:12:08 | 21 miles | 17.47 mile/hr
Age Group: 11/25
Overall: 311/503
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: If the sprint was one lap of 8.5 and the Oly was three laps wouldn't that make the bike OLY 25.5? Just saying The course was much better this year. Smoother roads but a little more technical with several turns.
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Bad
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:17:43 | 06.21 miles | 12m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/25
Overall: 417/503
Performance: Good
Course: Flat some grass but mostly on cement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-09-17 11:10 PM

User image

Expert
Fallon, Nevada
Subject: TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course

2012-09-18 12:18 AM
in reply to: #4415875

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Subject: RE: TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course

Nice Job on settling down on the swim with the foot cramps and the goggles.  Either one could have been a race killer.  Smart race.  Plan well excecuted. 

2012-09-18 12:53 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nice job! Did you figure out what was on your goggles? That sounds awful.
2012-09-18 7:36 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
hey great job. I love that you asked them to stop, ha, too funny. Not really, but sort of.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TriRock San Diego - Olympic Course Rss Feed