General Discussion Race Reports! » Michigan Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Michigan Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Detroit, Michigan
United States
3 Disciplines Racing
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 04m 28s
Overall Rank = 13/97
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 2/16
Pre-race routine:

I worked the overnight shift the night before and got about three hours of interrupted sleep. Got up extra early, finished up some stuff at work.

Big bowl of oatmeal. Two bananas. Big cup of coffee. Drive to race.

Event warmup:

Two transition setups. I was going to race in top and shorts as a trial of my IM outfit but left the top in my car, a mile away from T1. Changed into my one piece that was in the bag as a back up plan. A very brief jog with some strides and then in to my wetsuit with some dynamic stretching.
Swim
  • 23m 20s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 25s / 100 yards
Comments:

First 1/4 mile of the swim was unbelievably shallow. Many were combined swimming, wading and dolphin diving for the first 1/4 mile or so. Then rounded a buoy and water got deeper. Right before the second buoy the swim went out into the current of the Detroit River. It went from easy swimming to "Holy Cow!" I am killing myself to swim against the current and get around this buoy. Once you rounded the buoy it was about 1/2 mile directly down river with the current and I have never swam faster. This was fun. There was a lot more chop and waves than could be seen from shore. When you rounded the third buoy it was about 50 yards of swimming across the current that was pretty hard. Then back in to sheltered water. I then swam in to a weed bed that was amazing. More weeds than water. It was crazy. This was obviously the wrong line because about 1/2 the racers said they had clear water here and 1/2 were like me and fought with the weeds. Very shallow last 50 yards, so I stood up and walked/ran out of the water.
What would you do differently?:

Miss the weed beds. Go out a little harder.
Transition 1
  • 01m 7s
Comments:

Because this was a two transition race you had to take an extra few seconds to put all of your stuff into a bag to be transported to T2.

I left my shoes attached to my bike again but it did not work nearly as well this time as last time. While I was running with my bike my left pedal spun around to the 3:00 position which was 180 degrees opposite of where I wanted it. I jumped on the bike instead of stepping on to the bike as a result. Then I looked down to find my pedal and promptly ran over a cone and was jsut about ejected from my bike. If anyone was video taping this, I am now one of those guys with a really expensive bike that looked like a total ding-dong while getting on it.

Last race the shoes on the pedals worked great. This time not so much. May have to explore rubber banding the shoes so they don't spin.
Bike
  • 58m 12s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 25.62 mile/hr
Comments:

This is an extremely fast bike and I pushed it hard.

1/2 of the race is down wind and 1/2 is up wind more or less.

I tried to keep the watts between 220-230. When the wind was at my back I was going 25-28 mph. Wind in my face, 22ish. This course was crazy because no one rode on the right. You had to pass wherever you could. There were times that I was overtaking people going twice as fast as they were.

I think the race directors kind of dropped the ball here. They need to emphasize to people that unless you are passing you should stay as far to the right as possible. The way that everyone was riding all over the place it is lucky that there were no catastrophic accidents.

Course was approximately 2K short according to people in the know. I did not get my PT functioning until at least a mile + into the race so I can't comment. It was probably short. Wish it weren't so. I would like to be able to say I broke an hour for 40K>
Transition 2
  • 00m 44s
Comments:

No socks again. Had just a little trouble getting my shoes on. Speed laces are just a little too tight.

For some reason all of the relay people were congregated around my rack in T2. I had to ask people to move so I could rack my bike and get to my shoes.

Loosen speed laces.
Run
  • 41m 7s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 06m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Getting off of the bike my calves felt like I had two boulders under the skin. I was afraid that I had over cooked the bike and that the run was not going to go well but it seemed like I was able to run fast so I just kept going and everything got better within a mile or so.

My goal was not to get passed but at about the 1.5 mile mark a really fast 23 year old came by me. I tried to hang with him and never lost sight of him but I sure could not out run this guy.

I paced this well and got faster with each mile. I ran the last 1.7 miles or so at 5:50-6:00 pace. This run was about 0.35 miles long by my garmin (and everyone elses as well). When I crossed 5.2 miles by garmin I really kicked it to finish the last mile strong. When 6.2 miles came and went (in less than 40 minutes-one of my season goals) on the garmin the finish line was not even in sight. I just kept pushing and finished strong. Almost caught a local guy that has traditionally been way faster than me so I think I am making progress. He is a really fast runner and I ran almost two minutes faster than him.
Post race
Warm down:

A lot of stretching and calories

Event comments:

I would have loved to pick up my AG award but two plus hours after I finished there was no sign of the awards being handed out. I needed to get home to contribute to family activities so I had to bug out.

I wish that they would do the awards a little more expediantly but there are different philosophies on this. Not worth the $10 I would have to pay to have it shipped to me, but I would have liked to have it :)

Last updated: 2012-09-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:23:20 | 1640 yards | 01m 25s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/16
Overall: 37/97
Performance: Average
Suit: Zoot wetsuit
Course: Trapezoid
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: High
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:07
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:58:12 | 24.85 miles | 25.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/16
Overall: 16/97
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 x loop around Belle Isle.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:44
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:41:07 | 06.21 miles | 06m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/16
Overall: 10/97
Performance: Good
Course: Two loops with minimal elevation change.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-09-19 9:12 PM

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
Subject: Michigan Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course

2012-09-19 9:27 PM
in reply to: #4419604

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Michigan Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course
Damn, that's some fast triathlon-ing right there.  2:04 for an Oly?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Let's get things straight for the record, I consider this equal to a 4:20 HIM or a sub-10 hr IM.  Elite level, next step, blowing people out the trenches for this kind of performance.  Awesome stuff, way to throw it down!
2012-09-19 9:53 PM
in reply to: #4419617

User image

Master
ann arbor, michigan
yeats - 2012-09-19 10:27 PM

Damn, that's some fast triathlon-ing right there.  2:04 for an Oly?!?!?!?!?!?!?  Let's get things straight for the record, I consider this equal to a 4:20 HIM or a sub-10 hr IM.  Elite level, next step, blowing people out the trenches for this kind of performance.  Awesome stuff, way to throw it down!

Hey, thanks. I have had some recent speed gains. I think that the last 16 months of really focused training are starting to pay off.

Kind of wondering about that sub 10 IM. I am essentially eight weeks out from IMAZ and the way I am feeling right now, if I can execute on race day, it might be in the realm of possible. I guess I will know how possible in eight or so weeks....

Still would love to meet up with you some time for a Poto run this fall/winter.
2012-09-20 8:47 AM

User image

Expert
Norton Shores, MI
Nice race across the board...looked through the results for the race...some fast dudes showed up at this race!
2012-09-20 10:39 AM

User image

Master
South Alabama

Jason-great job! Killed it. Looks like things are peaking at the right time for IMAZ. Keep it up!

Randy

2012-09-20 3:30 PM

User image

Ann Arbor
great work! Nice meeting you out there. 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Michigan Triathlon Championship - Olympic Course Rss Feed