General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need advice!! Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-22 3:53 PM

Subject: I need advice!!
Hello,

I sighned up for a triathlon that is to take place this weekend (26th) and I am unsure about my swimming ability. This will be my first triathlon. I just got back from the pool and I swam 10-50 meter lenghts (aprox the length of the swim leg) and there were a few times that I had to do the dog paddle to catch my breath, or float on my back for a few seconds. I guess what I am asking is this, am I going to have the chance to get off to the side and get my breath because I am confident that I can make the distance that way, OR should I wait untill I am in better shape to where I can stroke the whole thing out? I timed myself and I did the 10-50's in 11:40. All I have thought about for the last 6 months is finishing a triathlon and becomming a triathlete. I've completed 2 duathlons in the last 3 months and had a absolute ball.

I would appreciate any input that you might have.

Thanks.

2004-06-22 3:59 PM
in reply to: #33071

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2004-06-22 4:03 PM

Veteran
MO
Subject: RE: I need advice!!
You can absolutely float, tread water, breast stroke, backstroke, or hang onto a buoy or kayak during the swim (you just can't make any forward progress by hanging onto or pushing off of a buoy or kayak). If it's a pool swim, you can wait at the wall and let people pass you; if it's an open water swim you can start in the back of your wave so that there won't be people swimming over and around you constantly and you'll have more room.

I would go for it!
2004-06-22 4:10 PM
in reply to: #33073

The swim will be in a small lake, and I do have the option to wear a wetsuit but I have not trained in one. I have did some open water swimming lately but it is hard to gauge any distance...for me anyway!!!
2004-06-22 6:55 PM

Extreme Veteran
I think you should approach the swim cautiously. Since you have raced in the bike and swim portions, you already know what to expect. My suggestion with the swim is to swim it as slowly as possible. You don't want to get your heart rate too high (easy to say, I know), but if you start feeling out of breath or panicky, slow down. Your only goal for the swim at this point is to complete it. Good luck!
2004-06-22 10:54 PM

Expert
Durham, CA
You must have watched my last sprint tri - I had the exact same problem... I took off too fast, got my heart rate up too high, and could not breath. I ended up doing the majority of the swim with a sidestroke. Not the fastest option, but very, very easy to catch your breath.

What I have been trying lately is half and half - swim one lenght with front crawl, and come back with the side stroke to catch my breath. Again, not the best, but it seems to work for me (at least until I get in a little better condition).

I say go for it, and just enjoy yourself. Even if you are dead last out of the pool, and the last one across the finish line, you will still be doing something that probably 98 percent of the adult population could not accomplish on their best day!!!

Good luck,

Dennis S.

2004-06-23 5:20 PM

Based on what you said.

If the start is a wave (or mass) start, you probably should position yourself near the back of the wave. I would also suggestion you move to either side. If you get tired, by all means grab a bouy or life guard to rest. It is perfectly legal. You can also flip on your back and back stoke or do a breast stroke to recover. The important thing is to try and relax and not panic.

AFA using a wetsuit, most people (including me) would say "don't do anything in a race that you haven't trained for." That being said, using a wetsuit in a race is probably the most abuse of that rule (I'm guilty). If you have a wetsuit and want to use, I say go for it with these thoughts:

PRO - It will help you float. It will help you swim better. You may feel more at ease with it on.
CON - You may feel constricted around the chest and it may feel hard to breath. This may be frightning. Just stop, take a few deep breaths and you will be fine. It will be a pain to get out of during T1. I suggest, putting it on in the shower at home and then try taking it off. Do this a few times. Also, lots of Body Glide!! Especially around the neck, arms (if a full suit), and calves. In fact, when you think you have put enough on, put more!

The most important thing is Don't Panic during the swim. If you feel uneasy at any time, immediately swim for a lifeguard and hang on. They will let you rest.

Hope this helps. Good luck on your race.

-Rob
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » I need advice!! Rss Feed