General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-26 8:51 AM
in reply to: #4426606

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike?
I started with a road bike. While I still had that road bike, I got a tri bike. I bought it online, brand new, 2001 Cervelo One, for $500. So it was worth the gamble.

I started out wanting to love the tri bike. But the more I rode it the less I enjoyed it. Sure it was great being more aero dynamic, but I could only carry 1 water bottle, I didn't like the gearing (I would need to replace it), I didn't like the brakes (very unresponsive), etc. I liked my road bike more.

So my tri bike is my permanent trainer bike and my second road bike is what I ride outdoors 100% of the time.

If you said you didn't like the aero bars and you took them off, then that might be a clue that you won't enjoy a tri bike.

2012-09-26 8:53 AM
in reply to: #4427913

User image

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
TriMike - 2012-09-26 4:56 AM
siberian - 2012-09-25 12:36 PM

I'm about the same size as you, and I was also hesitant to buy a tri bike for the same reasons.  The one area where fit was tricky for me was in the aero bars.  I'm wide shouldered, and when I first started riding it with the stock aero bars, I found that my upper arms started to ache from the elbow pads being too close together.  It just wasn't a natural position for me.  Even with adjustments, I just couldn't get the elbow pads wide enough.  The trick was to find an aero bar combination that allowed me to have my elbows far apart and my wrists closer together to form a "triangle" that was not stressing my shoulder and elbow joints.  This was the point of contention for my comfort level.  To illustrate what I'm talking about, while sitting at your desk, just lean forward and rest your elbows on the desk about 6" apart, and extend your forearms so they are parallel to each other.  This is close to the typical aero bar position based on all the bars I looked at, and extremely uncomfortable for me.  Now move your elbows further apart (about 10 to 12"), and leave your hands closer together, (about 3") to form a triangle.  Feel a difference?  For me, night and day.  So after tons of research I found an aero bar combination that allowed me to get in that position (it wasn't easy but I found the needle in the heystack).  This was the one thing that made the biggest difference in my comfort level on the tri bike. 

One other point...  just like on a road bike where you can ride in the hoods or the drops, you can always sit up and ride the bullhorns on a tri bike to give yourself a break if you start to feel uncomfortable.  Then drop back into aero when you're ready.  As your body adapts to the positioning, and as you get more confident, you'll eventually find yourself spending more time in the aero position.

I also own a road bike and ride both regularly... 

This is me 100%  My shoulders bother me the most on long rides.  And my pads are as wide as they will go as well.  Do you mind sharing what your solution was? 

I'm looking at a 140.6 in 2013 and one of the things on my list to have complete before I'll do it is better aero comfort...

To the OP, I'm 6'1" and I did a 70.3 at 240 and with the exception of my aero bars, the rest of the fit was very comfortable....Getting on the horns once in a while to mix things up helped...

If you get a good fit you'll be fine.  Oh, and make sure to follow Siberian's advice, wish I had known to push the LBS for a better solution to my aero bars before I purchased..

We had a guy come into the shop a few weeks ago and was talking about replacing his entire Hed front end set-up because he was having issues staying in position. I started asking him about what was going on, and it turned out that it was the shallow s-bend extensions that were giving him grief, both in how it turned his wrists down (causing tension in the arms) and how it placed his forearms parallel (causing tension in the shoulders). We had a set of Profile Carbon Stryke extensions in the parts bin, and I experimented a bit with him on a trainer... Hands very close together, wrists straight and relaxed. Immediately his eyes opened wide and he said it was WAY more comfortable. I trimmed down the extensions so they'd fit into the Hed collets, and he's been a happy camper ever since. Says we saved his IM training.

2012-09-26 9:44 AM

Veteran
Never regretted putting my road bike on the shelf in 12 years of owning tri bikes. I feel more comfortable in aero bars than sitting up.
2012-09-26 10:01 AM
in reply to: #4428098

User image

Champion
Columbia, South Carolina

KSH - 2012-09-26 9:51 AM I started with a road bike. While I still had that road bike, I got a tri bike. I bought it online, brand new, 2001 Cervelo One, for $500. So it was worth the gamble. I started out wanting to love the tri bike. But the more I rode it the less I enjoyed it. Sure it was great being more aero dynamic, but I could only carry 1 water bottle, I didn't like the gearing (I would need to replace it), I didn't like the brakes (very unresponsive), etc. I liked my road bike more. So my tri bike is my permanent trainer bike and my second road bike is what I ride outdoors 100% of the time.

How do any of those issues relate to the fact that it is a tri bike?

If you said you didn't like the aero bars and you took them off, then that might be a clue that you won't enjoy a tri bike.

I don't see how that follows at all.  I'd be far more inclined to infer that the fit wasn't good than that OP is somehow just 'not cut out' for a tri bike.  

2012-09-26 10:41 AM
in reply to: #4427913

User image

Regular
Chicago Area
TriMike - 2012-09-26 6:56 AM
siberian - 2012-09-25 12:36 PM

I'm about the same size as you, and I was also hesitant to buy a tri bike for the same reasons.  The one area where fit was tricky for me was in the aero bars.  I'm wide shouldered, and when I first started riding it with the stock aero bars, I found that my upper arms started to ache from the elbow pads being too close together.  It just wasn't a natural position for me.  Even with adjustments, I just couldn't get the elbow pads wide enough.  The trick was to find an aero bar combination that allowed me to have my elbows far apart and my wrists closer together to form a "triangle" that was not stressing my shoulder and elbow joints.  This was the point of contention for my comfort level.  To illustrate what I'm talking about, while sitting at your desk, just lean forward and rest your elbows on the desk about 6" apart, and extend your forearms so they are parallel to each other.  This is close to the typical aero bar position based on all the bars I looked at, and extremely uncomfortable for me.  Now move your elbows further apart (about 10 to 12"), and leave your hands closer together, (about 3") to form a triangle.  Feel a difference?  For me, night and day.  So after tons of research I found an aero bar combination that allowed me to get in that position (it wasn't easy but I found the needle in the heystack).  This was the one thing that made the biggest difference in my comfort level on the tri bike. 

One other point...  just like on a road bike where you can ride in the hoods or the drops, you can always sit up and ride the bullhorns on a tri bike to give yourself a break if you start to feel uncomfortable.  Then drop back into aero when you're ready.  As your body adapts to the positioning, and as you get more confident, you'll eventually find yourself spending more time in the aero position.

I also own a road bike and ride both regularly... 

This is me 100%  My shoulders bother me the most on long rides.  And my pads are as wide as they will go as well.  Do you mind sharing what your solution was? 

I'm looking at a 140.6 in 2013 and one of the things on my list to have complete before I'll do it is better aero comfort...

To the OP, I'm 6'1" and I did a 70.3 at 240 and with the exception of my aero bars, the rest of the fit was very comfortable....Getting on the horns once in a while to mix things up helped...

If you get a good fit you'll be fine.  Oh, and make sure to follow Siberian's advice, wish I had known to push the LBS for a better solution to my aero bars before I purchased..

The solution I ended up with is the 3T Aura Base bar with Zipp VUKA elbow pads and pad wing extension brackets. 

The back story on how I came to this...  

Some base bars come with a fixed position aero bar extension and pad mount.  Some allow you to slide the aero bar brackets and pad mounts to adjust the width (clip-on style).  However nobody seems to make an aerobar setup where the elbow rest and aero extensions can be adjusted INDEPENDENTLY of each other.  Out of the ones that allow any adjustment, the width of the circular clamping area (same area the stem clamps to) never seems to be wide enough to set the elbow rests far enough apart.  So Zipp makes these pad wing extension brackets that screw into the original pad mount holes, then you screw the pads into the brackets, effectively setting the pads wider.  

Now with adjustable aero bar clamps, the aero bars move with the clamps. So if you set the elbow pads as wide as possible, then your hands also move further apart.  This creates that uncomfortable "parrallel forearm" position that I described in my original post.  I didn't want that.  So I found that the 3T Aura base bar has a fixed aero bar and pad mount position, which happens to be very close together.  And it just so happens that the Zipp Vuka pad wing brackets fit the same bolt hole pattern as the 3T elbow rest bolt hole pattern.  So I was able to install the Zipp brackets to the 3T base bar and get my elbows comfortably far apart... while keeping the aero bars (hands) closer together, and it's perfect. 

According to 3T they are also supposed to be releasing their own version of that pad wing extension bracket.  For all I know it may be out by now. 

The other thing I am still toying with is ski-bend vs s-bend.  I currently have the stock 3T s-bend extensions and they feel fine.  However while in the aero position I have tried moving my wrists into a position as if holding onto imaginary ski-bends and I felt even MORE comfortable.  So over the winter I plan to pick up some ski-bends and test them out for real to see how I like them. 

Ya know... sometimes the whole fitting thing is a matter of trial and error.  It's difficult to assess long term comfort during a one hour fitting session.  You sometimes don't identify points of discomfort until you're out on the bike, really riding, for longer periods of time.  While there's great value in a good fitting session, I believe that ultimately it becomes a trial and error kind of thing over an extended period, until you REALLY get dialed in. 

Edited by siberian 2012-09-26 10:49 AM
2012-09-26 10:41 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Media, PA

No regrets here.  1st tri, mountain bike.  That winter, picked up a frankenbike road bike for a good price, did a couple more races on that.  Next winter, picked up the tri bike.

As others have said, comfort will be based on fit, your body shape and mobility (flexibility) and the bike itself.  There are a lot of things that go into fit beyond seat height.

I've found my tri bike to be as, or more comfortable than my road bike.  Maybe it's a better fit for me.

We're also heading into a good time for sales, but keep fit out in front over saving a couple $$.

2012-09-26 12:33 PM
in reply to: #4427638

User image

Science Nerd
Redwood City, California
tri808 - 2012-09-25 9:46 PM

I started with a road bike, then bought a P2.  I thought to myself that I would ride that bike all the time and it would be my best friend in the whole wide world.

It's pretty much collecting dust right now.  Of course I use it for tri races and TTs, but I rather ride my aluminum road bike than my carbon P2.  There isn't anything wrong with the fit, and I'm much faster on my P2...I just prefer riding my road bike.

That's how I feel about my tri bike.  It's a fantastic bike, but I don't ride it.  It's actually a bit too big for me (purchased second hand), and I should probably resell it and use the money to buy something else.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike? Rss Feed  

of 2