General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-09-25 11:20 AM

User image

Subject: Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike?
When I started in the sport five years ago I purchased a new road bike that I am relatively happy with. I like the sport and each year I usually do two Olympic distance races but I'm a true BOP rider and the only way I'll ever be on the podium would be if I'm still doing this at 85 years old. My future plans are IM Cozumel in 2013 which is flat and windy so I am considering a new bike purchase but I'm concerned that it will not be comfortable and I will end up going back to the road bike.

I am a big guy (6' 225 lbs) and my primary concern is comfort and being able to maintain a position for a long period of time. My LBS assures me that they have put plenty of people bigger than me on tri bikes and as long as the fit is good there will be no problem but I'm still skeptical.

I would love to hear some first hand accounts of people who either struggled with the same issue and overcame it or made the purchase and wish they didn't.

I did try aero bars a few years ago but never felt comfortable on them and eventually took them off.

Thanks for any insight or advice.

Keba

2012-09-25 11:27 AM
in reply to: #4426606

User image

Master
Cumming, Georgia
Subject: RE: Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike?

What kind of riding do you prefer, solo or group rides?  I don't regret buying a tri bike at all.  I'm not a big group riding person at the moment and prefer doing solo rides when and where I want and at whatever pace I feel like riding.  I also find tri bikes more comfortable for longer rides.  I don't think your size is any factor at all.  I think the key is get fit first so you know what bikes will fit.  I poorly fit tri bike is worse than a good fitting road bike.

I did IM Cozumel in 2010 and LOVED IT so great choice.

Edited by csharp1171 2012-09-25 11:28 AM
2012-09-25 11:30 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-09-25 11:35 AM

Master
Just South of Boston
Keba -- we're about the same size (I'm 6'1", 225) and have ridden a tri bike for almost 2 years. It has been a very comfortable ride, and no regrets. Did not have a roadie before, and since most of my riding is either on the trainer or early AM weekends, group rides are not a big thing for me.

the key to this is getting a good fit. I never had a tri bike before my current one, and its comfy. Love riding it (Cervelo P2)
2012-09-25 11:36 AM

Regular
Chicago Area

I'm about the same size as you, and I was also hesitant to buy a tri bike for the same reasons.  The one area where fit was tricky for me was in the aero bars.  I'm wide shouldered, and when I first started riding it with the stock aero bars, I found that my upper arms started to ache from the elbow pads being too close together.  It just wasn't a natural position for me.  Even with adjustments, I just couldn't get the elbow pads wide enough.  The trick was to find an aero bar combination that allowed me to have my elbows far apart and my wrists closer together to form a "triangle" that was not stressing my shoulder and elbow joints.  This was the point of contention for my comfort level.  To illustrate what I'm talking about, while sitting at your desk, just lean forward and rest your elbows on the desk about 6" apart, and extend your forearms so they are parallel to each other.  This is close to the typical aero bar position based on all the bars I looked at, and extremely uncomfortable for me.  Now move your elbows further apart (about 10 to 12"), and leave your hands closer together, (about 3") to form a triangle.  Feel a difference?  For me, night and day.  So after tons of research I found an aero bar combination that allowed me to get in that position (it wasn't easy but I found the needle in the heystack).  This was the one thing that made the biggest difference in my comfort level on the tri bike. 

One other point...  just like on a road bike where you can ride in the hoods or the drops, you can always sit up and ride the bullhorns on a tri bike to give yourself a break if you start to feel uncomfortable.  Then drop back into aero when you're ready.  As your body adapts to the positioning, and as you get more confident, you'll eventually find yourself spending more time in the aero position.

I also own a road bike and ride both regularly... 

Edited by siberian 2012-09-25 11:40 AM
2012-09-25 11:36 AM
in reply to: #4426615

csharp1171 - 2012-09-25 11:27 AM

What kind of riding do you prefer, solo or group rides?  I don't regret buying a tri bike at all.  I'm not a big group riding person at the moment and prefer doing solo rides when and where I want and at whatever pace I feel like riding.....

I did IM Cozumel in 2010 and LOVED IT so great choice.

99% of my riding is by myself. I agree with riding and doing my own thing.

Keba

2012-09-25 11:42 AM
in reply to: #4426622

FoggyGoggles - 2012-09-25 11:30 AM

This question is blasphemy!

Just kidding. 

My biggest concern is you've tried aero bars previously and gave up on them. Did you by chance have a professional fit you with the bars? That might have made the difference in your comfort.

As far as buying a tri-specific bike, the only way to know is for you to try it out. Either go to a bike shop with a reputable fitter and give your aerobars another go... or go to a bike shop and get fit on a tri-specific bike. If neither feel right, stick with what you have.

I never had a fit on the bars other than the LBS guy looking and saying "that looks good" and locking them in. I'm fortunate that I have tons of LBS here but I really don't trust a shop that doesn't at least have some foucs on Triathlon.

Thanks

Keba
2012-09-25 11:55 AM

Elite
Cleveland
I am a big guy (6' 225 lbs) and my primary concern is comfort and being able to maintain a position for a long period of time.

I'm 6' 2", and while I'm down to 205 now, I was at 217 when I bought my bike back in March. Like anything with weight, it depends upon how that weight is distributed. Mine is a very lean weight, and I've had absolutely zero trouble remaining comfortable in aero on the bike for an extended period (up to 2 hours is all I've done so far). The ONLY discomfort I've had was related to my bike's initial setup being a little too aggressive resulting in me being a little too flat on it with my hips rolled too far forward. Once I got that fixed, I've had a whole new level of comfort on there.

As for aero bars - I don't have first hand knowledge, but it has been said on here many times that simply due to bike geometry, clip-ons on a road bike is inherently less stable than aero bars on a tri-bike. Tri/TT bikes are designed with the purpose of being stable in that position.

2012-09-25 12:01 PM

Champion
Tacoma, Washington
I don't think you'd regret buying a tri bike unless it necessitates selling the road bike.
2012-09-25 12:06 PM

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region

If you ever plan on doing group rides (including some bike rallies that don't allow TT bikes), I'd stay on a road bike as it gives more flexibility IF you can only have 1 bike.

I did my first tri season on a road bike and quite honestly, I'm only marginally faster on my TT bike (less than 1mph). While there are others who have gained 2-3 mph switching bikes from road to TT, mine wasn't the case.  If you get fit, and get the flexibility and core strength to get fit into a good aggressive position on a road bike (that you can hold comfortably), then you will be pretty close to your TT bike potential anyway.  I ride my TT bike on the trainer, a pre-race check-out ride, and the race itself (I have several bikes so I do most of my road rides on a road bike).

Keep in mind that you will have to get used to a TT bike so that needs to be part of the equation.

2012-09-25 12:45 PM

Elite
Romeoville, Il

Absolutely not!  and I have two! Laughing

I think I'd regret it if I sold one.  Although, if I replaced one with an upgrade I wouldn't be too sad. 

2012-09-25 1:32 PM

Expert
6'3" 205 lbs. on a 61 cm frame tri bike and I love it.  I actually find it more comfortable.  When I started on the bike I was at 255 lbs.  So no being a bigger guy does not preclude you from comfort.
2012-09-25 1:55 PM

Veteran
North Carolina Foothills
I don't regret buying it, just don't use it very often.

Most of my rides are on my road bike, the tri bike might get one ride before a race, and the race itself, but that's it. The road bike is just way more comfortable .. especially on long rides.

For group and solo rides, I just prefer my road bike for a lot of reasons. But it is still nice to have the tri bike to gain some speed in races.

Edited by rventuri 2012-09-25 1:56 PM
2012-09-25 1:57 PM

Thanks for all the advice. If I was not at work right now I would grab the Amex and head over to the bike shop.

Keba
2012-09-25 2:08 PM

Expert
Is this Heaven? No, it's Iowa.

I'm in the same boat as you Keba.  I love my road bike but I have been considering getting a tri bike for a few months now.  I'm 6'2" and about 185.  Not to long ago I was 240.  My speed on my road bike has improoved so much from last year but I just started this sport in May of 2011 and losing 50+ pounds probably afffected my speed more than anything.  I'm allowed to have two bikes (per my lovely wife in case you are reading this honey), but I have no idea what to buy. 

This was a good thread to read.  Thanks for posting the question.

2012-09-25 2:21 PM

Regular
Wisconsin

I regretted buying a tri bike, only because I bought a low-end aluminum frame one that didn't have shifters on the aero bars.  A Trek Equinox 5.  It nowhere compared to the mid to higher end ones in speed or comfort.

2012-09-25 2:25 PM

Veteran
Southern Pines, NC
Just remember that even with a perfectly fitted tri bike, you will still need time to adjust to the new body position and bike handling.  
2012-09-25 4:43 PM

Tri bikes are, IMO, much more comfortable on the aero bars than a road bike.  However, they don't necessarily handle as well.  If you can keep a road bike, then there is no reason to avoid a tri bike.  If you have to choose between them I would consider the type of riding you do, how much is in a group, how confident your handling skills are, among other things.  

But you didn't ask for advice.  You asked about regrets.  My one regret happened today. I recently crashed and my confidence is a little shaken.  The wind was really gusty and I freaked every the wind would blow.  My tri bike has very deep aero shapes and is very, very light.  It can be tough to handle, especially in a cross wind.  I didn't consider that implication because I have traditionally high winds have been no trouble.  However, I lost 30 lbs this year and suddenly I can't control the bike in the wind.  As solid as you are, there is probably no issue there.  

2012-09-25 7:59 PM

Did one Tri and bought a P2. Did my second Tri and bought a carbon wheel set. I have no regrets. On every single ride I've tracked, I am 2 to 2.5mph faster for my average speed. Your mileage may vary. I continue to use my roadie and love them both. Pull the trigger!
2012-09-25 8:46 PM

I started with a road bike, then bought a P2.  I thought to myself that I would ride that bike all the time and it would be my best friend in the whole wide world.

It's pretty much collecting dust right now.  Of course I use it for tri races and TTs, but I rather ride my aluminum road bike than my carbon P2.  There isn't anything wrong with the fit, and I'm much faster on my P2...I just prefer riding my road bike.

2012-09-25 8:49 PM

Expert
Fernandina Beach, FL

I'm 6'4" 240lbs on a 58cm Felt B16. Glad I wend to the LBS because I would have purchased a bike probably to big for me, which I didn't think was possible. It took a little getting used to but I can honestly say I'm comfortable on my bike

Also FWIW I tried aero bars on my 60cm Cannondale road bike and didn't like them either. The fit is very important with the aero components

Edited by rjrankin83 2012-09-25 8:50 PM

2012-09-25 10:44 PM

Extreme Veteran
Las Vegas

I ride in groups most of the time, so I love my roadie with clip ons. 

If you are asking about regrets from a tri purchase, you have only to look on Ebay for bicycles where by far the majority of bikes for sale are tri bikes.  I think a lot of people think they want to do it, buy the bike and then find the comfort level takes too much time, or they just don't like it and...up for sale it goes.

2012-09-26 1:55 AM

Veteran

"I wish I'd never owned this properly fitted tri bike."

-no one ever

2012-09-26 4:43 AM

Master
Fort Wayne

If you can keep the road bike I very seriously doubt you will ever have a regret of making the purchase.  This year was the first year I rode a tri bike and I loved it.  I have put 1900 miles on mine while training for HIM's but now I am back to riding my roadie.  Both serve purposes, both have benefits.  Try to utilize both of them throughout all of your training.

2012-09-26 6:56 AM
in reply to: #4426634

Extreme Veteran
West Michigan
siberian - 2012-09-25 12:36 PM

I'm about the same size as you, and I was also hesitant to buy a tri bike for the same reasons.  The one area where fit was tricky for me was in the aero bars.  I'm wide shouldered, and when I first started riding it with the stock aero bars, I found that my upper arms started to ache from the elbow pads being too close together.  It just wasn't a natural position for me.  Even with adjustments, I just couldn't get the elbow pads wide enough.  The trick was to find an aero bar combination that allowed me to have my elbows far apart and my wrists closer together to form a "triangle" that was not stressing my shoulder and elbow joints.  This was the point of contention for my comfort level.  To illustrate what I'm talking about, while sitting at your desk, just lean forward and rest your elbows on the desk about 6" apart, and extend your forearms so they are parallel to each other.  This is close to the typical aero bar position based on all the bars I looked at, and extremely uncomfortable for me.  Now move your elbows further apart (about 10 to 12"), and leave your hands closer together, (about 3") to form a triangle.  Feel a difference?  For me, night and day.  So after tons of research I found an aero bar combination that allowed me to get in that position (it wasn't easy but I found the needle in the heystack).  This was the one thing that made the biggest difference in my comfort level on the tri bike. 

One other point...  just like on a road bike where you can ride in the hoods or the drops, you can always sit up and ride the bullhorns on a tri bike to give yourself a break if you start to feel uncomfortable.  Then drop back into aero when you're ready.  As your body adapts to the positioning, and as you get more confident, you'll eventually find yourself spending more time in the aero position.

I also own a road bike and ride both regularly... 

This is me 100%  My shoulders bother me the most on long rides.  And my pads are as wide as they will go as well.  Do you mind sharing what your solution was? 

I'm looking at a 140.6 in 2013 and one of the things on my list to have complete before I'll do it is better aero comfort...

To the OP, I'm 6'1" and I did a 70.3 at 240 and with the exception of my aero bars, the rest of the fit was very comfortable....Getting on the horns once in a while to mix things up helped...

If you get a good fit you'll be fine.  Oh, and make sure to follow Siberian's advice, wish I had known to push the LBS for a better solution to my aero bars before I purchased..

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone ever regret buying a triathlon bike? Rss Feed  

of 2