Fort4Fitness
45F / 7C
Overcast
Total Time = 8h 00m
Overall Rank = 424/2582
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 23/263
Pre-race routine:

I couldn't sleep the night before. I had gone to bed around 10pm, but I woke up at 2am and couldn't fall back asleep. I got out of bed just before 6am and got dressed and then headed out around 6:15am. Ryan and I stopped at McDonald's for egg McMuffin's, which we ate at about 6:30am. We got to the coral area around 6:50am and did a little bit of stretching. We watched the 4 mile race start and then stretched a little more.
Event warmup:

No run warm-up this morning. Just some stretching.
Run
  • 1h 46m 15s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I was in coral C (8min/mile pace group). I started near Ryan, and he was right in front of me. For some stupid reason, I decided that I should try to just stay right behind him. I ran the first mile in 7:30- it didn't feel hard, but I knew that was going to get me in trouble. I had a little talk with myself at that point and reminded myself to run my own race and not someone else's. I backed off after that and slowed to a 7:50-ish pace. I think it was too late and had already done its damage. I was feeling more tired than I should have been feeling by about 5 miles. I did my best to hang in there for the next five miles (did ok). My back started aching pretty badly around 9.5 miles, and I wasn't even sure if I could make it. I got passed by my pace group right around this point. Miles 10 and 11 were really rough, and it took a lot of determination to keep going. I got my second wind after that when I realized how close I was and that I was going to make it after all. I finished the last 1.1 miles strong.
What would you do differently?:

I would've taken more preventive action against my back issues earlier in the week. A really stressful week at work had me feeling uncomfortable for a few days previous.

I always say this, but I need to go out slower. I have a really hard time doing that when my adrenaline level is so high at the start of the race.
Post race
Warm down:

I had Ryan rub my back a little while we sat and talked about our races. Then we walked back to the car. We met up with Dirk quickly to get my heart rate monitor back.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Back issues and going out too fast

Also, I wore a long sleeve shirt, which was comfortable for the first 6-7 miles but definitely felt too hot after that.

Event comments:

I thought this race was really well organized. They said that almost 10,000 people were racing this weekend between all of the events, but it didn't feel chaotic at all.

The race shirts (long-sleeved tech shirt) were really nice, and the medals were too. I would definitely do this race again.

Last updated: 2012-05-19 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:15 | 13.1 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 23/263
Overall: 424/2582
Performance: Below average
5 mile split: 38:54 (305) 10 mile split: 1:20:08 (402) Last 3.1: 26:07 (530) I took off my heart rate monitor around mile 4.5 because I felt like my chest couldn't expand to breath very well for some reason. I put it around my waist and then threw it to Dirk the next time I saw him. (Thanks, Dirk!)
Course: We ran down Calhoun for a few miles down to Lower Huntington Road. Then we turned and headed north again, running along a golf course, the River Greenway, and then another golf course before hitting the downtown area for the remaining few miles. We finished on the TinCaps field at the home plate. Everyone says that the course was very hilly. I don't know what normal half marathons are like, but I thought the course was pretty flat. There were gatorade/water stops approximately every 1.5 miles. I wasn't feeling on top of my game today and thought it was really important to consume calories frequently, so I took 1-2 sips of gatorade at 4 of the stops. I also took a gel at 6 miles. I think the course may have been slightly longer than 13.1. Ryan and I both had 13.15 on our watches at the finish, even though we are both certain that we started the timer as we ran over the first chip timing mat. Or perhaps neither one of us ran in a straight line very well.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-09-30 8:57 PM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Subject: Fort4Fitness Half Marathon

2012-10-01 4:44 AM
in reply to: #4434233

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Fort4Fitness Half Marathon

I know this was slightly slower than you were looking for for your first half marathon but it's a very solid time.  Heck, my first HM wasn't this fast and now I think I'm getting kind of jealous.  Many people won't ever get this fast. 

Sleepless night are kind of part of my race routine anymore but back spasms aren't.  I think you held your own pretty well considering those troubles.  Going out a little too fast may not have caused too many problems if you only did 1 mile that fast.  If you like this distance race you'll definitely get much better and faster.  Learning how to race a long course race take time to develop how to pace properly.  You'll get there and be killing it when you do.

Congrats and great job get through those last few miles!

2012-10-01 6:23 AM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

Congrats!!!!  I would love to have your time in my 1st HM.  You killed it!  Sorry about your back, it is better today?  Are you going to sign up for any more soon?  My wife likes Ultra's and she says it is easier to stay in shape than to get in shape.

Again, we are proud for you!!!

2012-10-01 6:53 AM

User image

Congratulations, Allison!! I had to laugh at Dirk's statement that some folks will never be that fast. Yep, that's me. Like Karl, I'd love to have your finish time. Each race distance takes some learning how to pace well so don't kick yourself about going out too fast on your first one. You did fantastic, Allison! It was fun to get your text updates. I was sitting at my son's football game worried because I got Ryan's 5 miler and it took over 30 minutes later until I got yours. I thought maybe something happened and you'd had to pull out. I'm glad that wasn't the case when your 5 miler came up and you were only 2 minutes behind Ryan! I love that you and your hubby did the event together and ate at McDs before. That made me smile. As I commented on one of Dirk's pictures of you - you looked very pretty in pink! Sorry it was a little warm for the long sleeve, but you looked good any ways! Keep us posted on how your back is doing. Again, congratulations for a strong finish, Allison. 23rd out of 263 women in your AG and 424th out of 2582 overall is awesome!
2012-10-01 6:16 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Allison congrats on finishing your first HM. You did a great job and I will echo everyone's sentiments in saying that I can only run that fast in my dreams. You did a great job of keeping your pace and running a pretty fast race. I think you will continue to improve with your pace if you stick with the HM and Marathon distances. That will come with time and training but you did an awesome job and we are proud of you.
2012-10-01 6:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Racine, Wisconsin
Wow Allison awesome race! McDonald effort your run hmmmm maybe I will have to give that a try . As everyone said your time was amazing!

2012-10-02 3:24 PM

User image

NH
Great race and way to keep the pace strong to the end.  I throw my two cents in and let you know that your time is pretty speedy.  I have spent three years at this running thing and still haven't hit that pace for a half.  Great job training for this distance and running a smart, strong race.
2012-10-02 9:35 PM

User image

Expert
MI
Way to go Allison!  Thanks for posting- this serves as a very good reminder to me... to not start off too fast even if I'm tempted to do so!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fort4Fitness Half Marathon Rss Feed