General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Montauk, New York
United States
Event Power
50-6F / 0C
Precipitation
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

I woke up at 3:30 had a quick bite to eat packed up and left. Its a 1.5 hour drive to the race site.

I got there with plenty of time to setup. One stupid thing I did was rack my bike on the wrong rack. It was dark out and I must have misread the labels on the rack. It was easy to pick up and move over - I ended up in the same exact spot anyway.
Event warmup:

It's a tough a race for a warm up. The water is cold and getting in and out of the water before the race started is tough to do especially since it's dark out. So really I wish I could figure out a warm up for this race but all I really could do was stretch.
Swim
  • 45m
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Right on par with my average for swimming. I did good sighting the buoys only once did I really drift of course. The buoys were fairly close together at the start and then spaced out further on as you went. It was raining and dark and even thought the buoys are bright orange it was hard to see them as they got further apart.
What would you do differently?:

If I can do it this winter swim lessons would take my swimming up a level.
Transition 1
  • 03m 36s
Comments:

Pretty good transition even tough it seems slow. When you exit the water it's a long way to the bike racks and then I took a little extra time putting on my arm warmers. They felt so good until the rain starting pouring down on me.
Bike
  • 3h 58m
  • 56 miles
  • 14.12 mile/hr
Comments:

It was raining and raining hard at times. I never felt out of control but I would have hit the downhill’s harder. Last year at the oly I averaged 19.5 on this course.

I ended up w/ 3 flat tires in the end. The first 2 I managed to change on my own but the 3rd just totally killed me. I was sitting by the side of the road waiting for help. They had 2 support vehicles out and those guys were busy!

It was a full 1/2 hour before I had help and I was cold - very cold. Soaked from the rain and not doing a thing but standing there I was starting to shake. I could have quite then.

The bike tech told me as got back on my bike that I get 5 minutes back for every rider I passed and then he smiled.

I believe I was DEAD FLAT LAST at this point. It was just about the shear will to go on at this point. Frozen, wet from head to toe (tri-shoes are great for letting water out and also letting water in)and all alone in the middle of the pouring rain.

So I did what I didn't want to do and I hammered the bike as hard as I could. I kept telling myself I wasn't out and "IT WILL NOT BEAT ME". Whatever "IT" was - I'm still not sure today what "IT" was. I set a goal of passing 3 riders. After about 8 miles I saw one guy in a red shirt. I passed him then another came into view and I passed him. I stopped counting after 12 riders.

Also with all the off's and on's of the wheel it wasn't adjusted correctly and I could hear the tire rubbing at low speeds. My front derailer (which was just adjusted) refused to shift into the lowest ring. This was quite frustrating but was only a factor once or twice.

At this point I just peddled.

I think statistically that 3 flat tires is fairly rare to say the least however I spoke to several people and 2 seemed to be very commonplace during the race. I just bought a few new pieces of gear to help out in the tire changing department.

Overall considering the conditions and then if you ignore the mechanical problems and wasted time associated with the problems I hit my goal right on the money.

I'm happy about that.

Transition 2
  • 02m 33s
Comments:

It went pretty well. The rain just started to stop as I hit transition. Before the race started I flipped my shoes over and covered them with my towel. They were pretty much dry when I put them on.

Yes I was ready to run. I had the biggest smile leaving T2.
Run
  • 2h 15m 39s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

I clawed my way back into it somewhat. I should be finishing the first lap of the run at this point but I wasn't. At least I had company for the first lap.

I went pretty hard on the bike and thought there was a possibility that I could struggle on the run. I told myself to walk the aid stations. A lesson learned from my marathon at the beginning of the year I should have walked them earlier then I did that day.

This was the first time I saw my family since the race had started. I was hoping to see them at the u-turn on the bike course but they weren't there. I later found out it was because of a potty break - hey when you gotta go you gotta go especially if you are 4. I told my wife about the flats and being stuck there and she later commented on how "happy" I seemed and how well I was taking it all.

My back was starting to hurt a little - I think from being in aero so long w/ the cold rain pelting down on my back it was just achy and cold. My legs seemed to be holding out so I kept up the pace.

Lap 2 started and I was alone again. Not one single person was near me for a couple miles. That does wear on me. I finally made it to were the course joins together and is one route out and back. At least I had company again.

Murder hill was coming up again and I knew the end was near. I just made mini goals at this point, this was indeed the toughest section of the course all uphill and steep.

Once I rounded the turn around it was mostly downhill. I passed the last person at the bottom of murder hill. We talked for a while and then I turned it on for the last push and went for it.

I felt great and was planning my victory dance, which ended up being quite animated for me. I think I was swinging my visor in one hand and pumping my fist on my other arm and just yelling as loud as I could. My family was on the other side waiting for me.

Run was awesome given the course and the rain on the bike I really couldn't have done much better. I also followed my nutrition plan which worked out perfectly.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

I need to assess my bike and look into upgrading some of the components. I've always had trouble with the front derailer and this time I think it cost me time. Also as I noted I upgraded a few pieces of gear that I think will help me when doing tire changes in the future.

Event comments:

I loved this race! I love this distance! I will do it again!

Last updated: 2012-08-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:45:00 | 2112 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit: yes
Course: Out and back.
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:36
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
03:58:00 | 56 miles | 14.12 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: Two laps on a 28-mile loop with rolling hills and beautiful ocean and bay views. 2200 total feet of elevation gain.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:33
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:15:39 | 13.1 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Two laps on a challenging hilly 6.55 mile course 806 total feet of elevation gain. After a rolling 3 miles you hit "murder hill" followed by two other challenging climbs and then the “Pits”.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-01 2:09 PM

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
Subject: MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon

2012-10-01 4:30 PM
in reply to: #4435406

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: RE: MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon

Considering the day you were given, your attitude is absolutely amazing Adam!!  Its too bad that you had to deal with the weather and the subsequent flats on the bike as part of your first HIM experience, but you performance if you take out the lost time is outstanding!

Congratulations on a great race!!

2012-10-02 9:56 AM
in reply to: #4435768

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
kenj - 2012-10-01 5:30 PM

Considering the day you were given, your attitude is absolutely amazing Adam!!  Its too bad that you had to deal with the weather and the subsequent flats on the bike as part of your first HIM experience, but you performance if you take out the lost time is outstanding!

Congratulations on a great race!!

Thanks Ken.

I would love to have those 45 minutes back but in hind sight I finished and I hit my personal goals. Even if the "official time" doesn't agree with my time, in the end it doesn't matter. The course will be there next year and I'll be ready to battle it again rain or shine!

2012-10-02 10:27 AM

User image

Elite

nice way to grind it out, many people who had 2 flats let alone 3 would have quit!

Its amazing how the weather was that bad in montauk when I was in center moriches in decent weather.

I did that one as a first also and people not familiar with montauk dont realize how hilly that course is.

Nice way to finish, with all the adversity!

2012-10-02 10:30 AM

User image

Master
Surprise, Arizona
Adam - Aside from a good swim, pedaling like hell to get back in it on the bike, and turning in a solid run, your mental fortitude during this race was outstanding!  Having been on courses 'alone' where you don't see anyone around, I know how hard it is to push to catch up and keep your spirit going.  You were amazing in this regard on Sunday.  With the circumstances you were dealt, a lot of people would have quit and even more people would have mailed in the rest of the bike and the run, figuring there was no point in pushing.  Instead, you made it a mission to get back in the race.  I can't tell you how impressed I am with how you turned it around.  You will always remember that day - for the rain and the flats and how difficult the conditions were.  Even more importantly, though, every race from here on, you will be able to draw on the experience of pulling yourself out of a bad spot and recovering - maybe the most valuable thing you got out of Sunday.  Super job, and congratulations!!
2012-10-02 11:48 AM
in reply to: #4436758

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY
FELTGood - 2012-10-02 11:27 AM

nice way to grind it out, many people who had 2 flats let alone 3 would have quit!

Its amazing how the weather was that bad in montauk when I was in center moriches in decent weather.

I did that one as a first also and people not familiar with montauk dont realize how hilly that course is.

Nice way to finish, with all the adversity!

After the race I was talking to my mother and she said well at least you had a nice day for the race and I said yes except for the rain - well I guess Montauk was the only place to get rain on the island last Sunday.

2012-10-02 12:09 PM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Great perserverance Adam!!!! I imagine the rain mixed with the flats was mentally fatiguing - great job staying positive.  It makes the race even more of an accomplishment! Woot!
2012-10-02 12:45 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Adam congrats on hanging tough and finishing the race. It's just unbelievable that you got 3 flats during the race. I think that is a testament to your dedication and determination to finish the race. You should be proud of yourself. I was there and it was absolutely miserable on the bike leg with the pouring rain, wind and cold weather that day so I can relate. I was on the bike for just a little less time than you were and that was without the flats. A long day for sure but well worth it after crossing the finish line.
2012-10-02 1:15 PM
in reply to: #4436765

User image

Veteran
Long Island, NY

BHannahs - 2012-10-02 11:30 AM Adam - Aside from a good swim, pedaling like hell to get back in it on the bike, and turning in a solid run, your mental fortitude during this race was outstanding!  Having been on courses 'alone' where you don't see anyone around, I know how hard it is to push to catch up and keep your spirit going.  You were amazing in this regard on Sunday.  With the circumstances you were dealt, a lot of people would have quit and even more people would have mailed in the rest of the bike and the run, figuring there was no point in pushing.  Instead, you made it a mission to get back in the race.  I can't tell you how impressed I am with how you turned it around.  You will always remember that day - for the rain and the flats and how difficult the conditions were.  Even more importantly, though, every race from here on, you will be able to draw on the experience of pulling yourself out of a bad spot and recovering - maybe the most valuable thing you got out of Sunday.  Super job, and congratulations!!

Brian,

I never thought about quitting but I did have a feeling that I might not make the time cut off. I knew people had finished the race in 8 hours last year.  I figured if I could just get back to transition without anymore bike troubles I could do the run and make it with plenty of time to spare. Thankfully I was able to do that.

The start of the second lap on the run was pretty bad, I have to admit it. I couldn't believe how far behind I was.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » MightyMan Half Iron Distance Triathlon Rss Feed