A Dolphin Safe Event, LLC.
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 25s
Overall Rank = 64/73
Age Group = F 30-34
Age Group Rank = 3/4
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 2am in the morning an couldn't go back to sleep, so I ate some spaghetti and meatsauce. Checked surf conditions online. Did a final checkoff on the equipment list and packed it.

It took me an hour to drive down to Oceanside, so the pre-race routine continued while I was driving the car. I munched on a slice of bread with some spread and drank some hot, black coffee. Went to the rest stop right before Oceanside. Park car. Walk down to the beach to study the surf patterns. Took one last bathroom break. Went back to car, sipped electrolyte drink. Put the wetsuit on, stashed my backpack at "gear check" (just on the sidewalk with everyone else's stuff.)
Event warmup:

Waded into the water and practiced a couple of dives and strokes, checked the depth of the water going out part way. Headed back to the beach to listen to last minute instructions.
Swim
  • 1h 04m 25s
  • 2112 yards
  • 03m 03s / 100 yards
Comments:

Not bad for my first ocean race with a surf start. After enduring some of the surf an turf (as in, surf crash, I eat sand) served by Huntington Beach, the conditions this day at Oceanside really wasn't so intimidating (I am told the 2.4 race had much more intimidating surf due to it being at the pier). The sets were at least reasonably paced so I could get in some decent strokes between waves, and I was much better at reading what type of wave was going to hit me (swells, crumbling, crashing) and did not make a mistake reading and reacting to them. I also heard the lifeguards yelling about good opportunities to go hard since the ocean let up for a bit.

I was shocked at how had it was to see the first buoy and how long it took for me to get there! I had to stop and look around a couple of times to make sure I didn't accidentally pass it and was off course. I ended up just following people in front of me (including one who almost kicked me in the face due to breast stroking) and finally spotted the buoy about 10 minutes into the race.

I swam an extra .18 miles due to my veering off course here and there. It was obvious after the first buoy I was constantly veering to the left, regardless of if I was still in open water or after I got into the harbor. I would have been really pissed if I missed placing due to this, but overall I was pleased I made it through the surf so really I was happy regardless.
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim in a straighter line.

Practice to swim faster. I was not even close to the top two finishers in my age group at all. I missed placing by only one place, but it was by nearly 20 minutes XD
Post race
Warm down:

Take wetsuit off, change into dry clothes, get some pancakes from cute Oceanside firemen :3

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My form probably started to suck really bad towards the second half of the race. I wasn't much slower, but probably much less effective in my strokes.

Last updated: 2012-09-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:04:25 | 2112 yards | 03m 03s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/4
Overall: 64/73
Performance: Average
Suit: BluSeventy Reaction 2010
Course: Diagonally out from the beach to the first buoy which was nearly 4/10 of a mile out into the ocean, then straight back into the mouth of the harbor and follow the harbor to the boat ramp.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-10-02 8:08 PM

User image

Regular
Costa Mesa
Subject: Tiki Swim - 1.2 Mile

2012-10-02 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4437916

User image

Expert
Palm Springs, California
Subject: RE: Tiki Swim - 1.2 Mile
Great job! The buoy by the pier took forever to get to too. Fun!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiki Swim - 1.2 Mile Rss Feed