Superfrog Triathlons
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 42m 13s
Overall Rank = 17/474
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 1/61
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30'ish. Couldn't go back to sleep after checking clock. Had a descent night sleep the nights before, so just got up and made my coffee, grabbed my bottles, and headed out. Packed the car the night prior which made things a little less stressful.

Drank coffee and ate muelsi, my new favorite pre-workout/race meal. Love the recipe from Allen Lims "Feed Zone" book. Easy way to take in 1,000 calories.

Event warmup:

Got to transition around 5:00. Set up and then headed back to the car and grabbed my camera. Got familiar with the transition area while partaking in some shutter therapy. Good way not to overthink the race and relax a little.

This race was a little of a spectacle as Lance Armstrong was racing it. I felt for him as there were always hoards of people and camera crews around as he prepped and headed out to the swim. Every action under watch. I'm glad nobody watches me as they would likely think I was crazy walking back and forth to my car, going in and out of transition, making multiple trips to the porta potties, and going back to my bike to repeatedly check on whether I forgot something.

Drank a big can of coconut juice and had a gel prior to swim start.
Swim
  • 33m 35s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 35s / 100 yards
Comments:

Interesting swim. Didn't realize how strong the current was (northerly) until I jumped in for a practice swim. Started south of the race entry and ended up halfway between the entry and exit when I got out.

As soon as our wave started and I ran in, the bottom of my left foot started cramping. Cramping during the swim has been my nemisis. I just tried to continue fwd easily. By the time we hit the waves, my attention was diverted and it wasn't a problem the rest of the swim.
Tried to start wide which worked out well to the first bouy, but I was almost by myself. No drafting. By the time I reached the first turn bouy, I think the current changed and I ended up way wide.

Ended up swimming wide for 2/3rds of the course (both laps), only really getting a good line on the leg coming back to shore.

Was a little concerned when I didn't see any other caps from my wave when exiting the water.

Took it easy on the swim, focusing on relaxing and taking comlete strokes. Since It felt like I was so wide of everone else, it was pretty easy to stay in a rhythm.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe experiment with pickle juice prior to swim. Have heard it can help with cramps.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Nothing too crazy here. Put my shoes on and ran out to the exit. Kind of far to run with bike shoes on, but have never mastered leaving shoes on the bike.

Also, put two gel flasks in my jersey.

Had two sleaves of shot blocks and my salt in my bento.

Taped my glasses onto the bike so I can put them on when riding. Seems to work well.

Overall, i just tried to stay relaxed without spiking my HR.

maybe just bring one bottle on the bike. See below.
Bike
  • 2h 22m 29s
  • 56 miles
  • 23.58 mile/hr
Comments:

Goal was to avg. 230 watts. Actual was 231. Bingo.

First lap was easy, letting HR settle and letting legs warm up.

Was expecting it to be a really hot day so was thinking would need to drink a lot.

Brought two bootles on the bike. Started drinking about 10 miles in.

Had been hydrating well the day before (Gatorade, Coconut juice). With the big coconut juice I had prior to the swim, I was concerned about drinking too much and needing to go to the bathroom.

By lap four, was hitting my power targets quite well, but started to feel the fatigue.

I'm not sure what happened, but started feeling started feeling better as i put down more power, then made a deal with myself to let power go up with a HR cap of 153 for the final lap (150 avg. Target).

Felt like a rock star rolling into transition and then had my first Twighlight Zone experience of entering T2 and racking my bike with not another bike to be seen.

In the end I only ended up drinking one of my bottles and one of the small Cytomax bottle from the aid station. Returned back to T2 with one of my orignal bottles, completely full.

Ended up eating 1.5 sleeves of Shot Bloks and 1 gel flask.

Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Again, just took it nice and easy running back to my spot, racking the bike, and running out.

Took it nice and slow putting my socks and shoes on to avoid any sudden movements that might trigger a cramp.

Forgot to dump my flasks when I started out, so ran back and left the empty and took the other full one.

Had left a frozen bottle of sports drink which was such a nice treat the first mile or two of the run.

Started my Garmin and strapped it on while running (now running separate GPS's for bike and run).

Not much.
Run
  • 1h 43m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Tried to go slow the first 2 miles. Wanted to enjoy my drink and not suffer at this stage. The transition to sand running is condusive to cramping, so you need to be even more careful than on roads.

I was forced to slow when the twinging in my calves started.

Got into a rythm after mile two. Focused on staying relaxed, efficient, with good cadence.

Stopped at the first aid station on the base and had them fill my bottle with water. Dumped a few cups on my heads to cool off.

It was such a relief to be off the sand and be able to get up to speed.

Again, I re-entered the twighlight zone as i made my way around the first of two loops on the base. Where is everone? How come there aren't a bunch of faster runners chasing me down? The only people I see are way back and they don't seems to be closing in.

As I entered the second loop, it was nice to see a few more folks.

But that was short lived as I exited the base for the soft sand portion of the run. Really? Who dreamed this up? My pace slowed to a slog. I only managed to pace myself with HR throught this section.

Actually, I paced with HR through most of the run targeting 158. Ended up avg'ing 159. Bingo again.

The last 3 mile stretch back to the finish was again in solitutude. I looked back a few times, but never really saw anyone. Was passed by a 20' something Age grouper who looked really strong and by what I think was a relay runner, but other than that, it was a lonely run.

I made my way down the finishing shoot feeling remarkably good.

My Mom, daughter, and neices were there, which made my first podium win extra special.

Can't think of much. Just ran my plan without much deviation. Had a couple "rest" breaks as i refilled my water bottle and a couple quick walk breaks the last 3 miles to fend of cramps when i needed to quickly jump out of the way of the waves as they rolled up the beach.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt pretty good afterwards. Had some water and an orange. Wasn't really that hungry.

Overall, was able to follow the race plan well and as a result, was fortunate to have a good outcome.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Navigating on swim. Cramping, although didn't materially have an impact in the end.

Event comments:

This is the second time I've done this race. The first was on the 10 year anniversary of 9/11.
As this race is put on by the Navy seals, it's a yearly reminder of the sacrifice they make so we can participate in things like triathlon.

The race has it's own character and "charm" that you won't forget it if you ever have the opportunity to participate.

Last updated: 2012-09-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:35 | 2112 yards | 01m 35s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/61
Overall: 0/474
Performance: Average
Suit: Full
Course: Two rectagular loops with a run along the beach to re-enter.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:22:29 | 56 miles | 23.58 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: 4 loops on the very flat Silverstand highway.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:35 | 13.1 miles | 07m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: 6 miles of hard pack sand. Half a mile or so of sanbox style soft sand running. The rest is trail with a few miles of asphalt road.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-02 9:30 PM

User image

Regular
Subject: SuperFrog Triathlon

2012-10-03 6:10 PM
in reply to: #4437993

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: SuperFrog Triathlon
Nice write-up and tremendous job! Running through sand is tough.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » SuperFrog Triathlon Rss Feed