Salisbury University
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 12m
Overall Rank = 0/8000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The Seagull Century brings together around 8000 riders, of all shapes and sizes and for all kinds of reasons, and that's why I like to do it every year. It's not a race, so there's not really a race to report, but there's plenty to look out for along the course. My most memorable moment came when I was riding along at around 40 miles and came upon a guy who was riding a tandem with an empty rear seat. I was about to make a wise crack about that, but noticed just in time that there was an explanation on the back of his t-shirt: he was riding in memory of a family member who had recently died. Very poignant.

This year's question: is marathon training a substitute for bike-specific training? Can you get through 100 miles off just a couple of rides in the past month, but lots of running? Answer: yes indeed, specificity matters.

Up at 2:45am, hit the road by 4am. I always enjoy the 2-hour drive across the Chesapeake Bay to Salisbury, as the normally crowded roads have mostly only cars with bikes.

This was the first outing for my new Savageman jersey. Great conversation starter, never had so many people come and talk to me in a ride. I met a woman at the start who was from Appalachia, slight build, probably in her late 50s. She said that she regularly rode the Savageman climbs, but that she was worried about this ride: "with it being so flat, you just have to keep pedaling; I'm not used to that".
Bike
  • 5h 12m
  • 101.4 miles
  • 19.50 mile/hr
Comments:

Set off at a deliberately low effort, given how far there was to go. I was curious to see if I could make a 20mph average for the whole ride, but knew that might be hard given my limited of preparation and the winds that inevitably attack the riders in the later part of this ride. My personal rules for this: no drafting, no TT bike, and no aero gear allowed. That's how I rode it when it was one of my first events, so I like to do it the same way each year, as a bit of an anniversary.

Felt comfortable through the first 50 miles, which went by fairly quickly. I was a few minutes ahead of the 20mph schedule, but I knew that was unlikely to be enough, as the last third is always slower. Passed hundreds of riders, on all manner of different bikes. Passed by a handful of triathletes riding solo on their TT bikes. That looked like fun, except for navigating the traffic. Passed by a few triathletes in their TT gear and aero helmets who had joined the packs that zoom along the course -- I felt tempted to call them out for going over to the other side, but resisted the urge. In a couple of places I found that I had sprouted a peloton of my own, with a train dragging along behind me. Then somebody from the peloton would offer to come up and give me a break for a while, and it was hard to explain that I wasn't interested in a break.

No ponies at Assateague Island (mile 63) this year. Big disappointment. But the cake at the rest stop was as delicious as ever. One foot was starting to go numb, which hasn't happened in a while. I managed to hold the 20mph average through ~75 miles, but the wind was getting worse. It was less brutal than the normal westerly wind in that area, but this year it was more evil, as it changed direction through the morning, so that we had a cross wind or a head wind for what seemed like most of the ride. I hit my low point at around 80 miles; legs were drained, and I was going slower. The apple pie and ice cream at the 85 mile stop helped a lot, and I was able to ride more strongly for the last section, avoiding the big packs, and picking off riders one by one into the wind. I always enjoy the end of the ride: the route dips through an underpass and then emerges into the main quad of Salisbury University.
Post race
Warm down:

Not disappointed with my ride time. About 15 mins slower than I've done in the past, but also faster than other years. Main thing, it was a fun long workout. The drive back to DC was a lot more crowded, but I still enjoyed seeing so many cars with bikes.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Bike training. Or rather, lack of it.

Event comments:

A fun event with a massive turn-out. This was my 4th Seagull, and I plan to come back every year.

Last updated: 2012-10-07 12:00 AM
Biking
05:12:00 | 101.4 miles | 19.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/8000
Performance: Average
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-07 11:35 AM

User image

Master
University Park, MD
Subject: Sea Gull Century

2012-10-07 12:01 PM
in reply to: #4444125

Master
Northern IL
Subject: RE: Sea Gull Century
Nice riding, Colin! Especially with the limitations you put on yourself. I think a lot of run training with a little bit of the right bike training can do very well to at least maintain bike fitness for a lot of people.
2012-10-07 7:58 PM
in reply to: #4444125

User image

Master
Crab Cake City
Subject: RE: Sea Gull Century
Great Race Colin
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sea Gull Century Rss Feed