Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Off Season Bike Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply
2012-10-09 11:00 PM

Subject: Off Season Bike Training
So with forecast looking like the rainy weather is about to return, just wanted to see if anyone had any good suggestions for off season biking, aside from the standard indoor trainer?  Does anyone know any good cross-country mountain bike trails around the lower mainland/sea-to-sky area?  Do you feel comfortable/safe riding in the wetter conditions on your regular road bike? Anybody swap out their normal tires for something with a little tread or do you just keep the slicks on? Any other good tips/suggestions, or things you have heard about and always wanted to try?

2012-10-09 11:52 PM
in reply to: #4447466

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Off Season Bike Training
I do more mountain biking in the winter, I couldn't imagine being out on my road bike, but a CX bike with knobbies might be alright too.

If it's really clear out then I will take out the roadbike and bundle up really well.  Can't really get much for grippie knobbies on mine though.
2012-10-10 11:03 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2012-10-12 2:16 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

Don't forget about the veldrome! There's no rain there. That's where I do a lot of my hard training in the winter.

I ride my road bike too, but I also have a winter road bike so it's not too hard on my race bike. I think 9 speed (wider chain, easier to maintain) is better for winter riding anyway. And I have some Gatorskin tires which are better than race slicks for winter. I have no problem training outside in the rain, but you can often find a couple of hours when it isn't raining.

I just got a mountain bike and I've been riding a bit. I'm a little bit more worried about riding over slick rocks and roots, but maybe crashing won't hurt as much when the ground is wet? Smile So far I've been riding in Pacific Spirit Park (more of cross riding), Stanley Park (pretty challenging for me, lots of walking sections over trees and logs), SFU perfect riding for me, I like the Dead Moped, Jim's Jungle and the North Road trail. Here's a map. I've also been mountain biking around the trails of Lost Lake in Whistler which were pretty good too and in Kamloops a lot because I have a good friend who lives there.

Oh, I even tried a cyclocross race this year which is pretty good training in the winter.

So there's lots of options. I never get on the trainer. 

Edited by jeng 2012-10-12 2:17 PM
2012-10-12 6:34 PM
in reply to: #4451761

2012-10-16 2:40 PM

Pro
Vancouver, BC

I'll call you next time Leah. I went on Sunday and while it was raining, it was actually a lot nicer to be in the trails in the rain. Maybe it's because it is partially covered by trees or maybe it is because you aren't going as fast and therefore don't get the rain pounding against you, but it was much more pleasant.

I'm trying to work my way up to being good enough to go on Mel's. I'm going to Kamloops this weekend to mountain bike. Maybe after that.

2012-10-16 10:51 PM

Do you ever ride on the North Shore?  Any suggestions for good trails that aren't more suited to downhill riding/have lots of man made ramps etc.?
2012-10-17 10:37 AM
in reply to: #4456931

New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum British Columbia » Off Season Bike Training Rss Feed