Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Walking Dead Season 3 !!!! (May be spoilers!!) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 22

2012-10-15 6:36 PM
in reply to: #4454865

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Walking Dead Season 3 !!!!

nhermes - 2012-10-15 6:33 PM Just wondering, why would you keep zombie slaves?

Pets.

2012-10-15 9:19 PM
in reply to: #4452386

User image

Austin, Texas or Jupiter, Florida
They're her brothers I think. Just like Herschel's barn.

I had dreams earlier this year when I started watching this about how there's really no escape from the zombies. There are 8 Billion of us. That's a lot of hacking. Not sure how many rounds of ammo you could scrounge, but 8 billion seems a lot.

The whole cutting zombies heads in half thing is strange. Are their skulls rotted or something? I'd assume it takes a lot of effort to cut a skull in half.

I would think Key West would be a good place to hold up. Blow the bridges. Zombies can't swim can they? Cuba would be the last great hope...
2012-10-15 9:21 PM

Now they have a bunch of prisoners to deal with. They will probably kick them out of their prison or rape, pillage, and plunder.
2012-10-15 9:25 PM

User image

Milwaukee, WI
The zombie to drama ratio for this season so far is very good.
2012-10-15 9:42 PM
in reply to: #4454865

User image

Regular
Ocala, FL

nhermes - 2012-10-15 7:33 PM Just wondering, why would you keep zombie slaves?

I saw a short story on the origins of Mishon (sp?) and why she has her "pets".  They are apparently family (brothers I think), but she takes them with her because it apparently camouflages her.  The other walkers recognize the pets and leave them alone, I guess the heavy robe helps.  Similar to how our heroes put on a rain jacket and covered themselves in walker guts to sneak through a big group of them in season 1.  The arms and lower jaws are removed to make them "harmless", or at least far less of a threat.

It did seem pretty easy to kill off the walkers, I'd presume that if the flesh is decaying that the bone is as well.  Good theory to make filming the action easier anyway.  Which is also probably why Hershel had his leg amputated below the knee.  Put on a pair of long pants then limp a lot and the viewing audience presumes you have a prosthetic.  My dark humor side wants to predict that soon a walker with a prosthetic is going to get offed.........

Looks like a GREAT season is forming up.  I think i said "oh poop" at the exact same time the prisoner did at the end of the show.

2012-10-16 7:52 AM
in reply to: #4455063

User image

Expert
Central Mass

GomesBolt - 2012-10-15 7:19 PM They're her brothers I think. Just like Herschel's barn.

I had dreams earlier this year when I started watching this about how there's really no escape from the zombies. There are 8 Billion of us. That's a lot of hacking. Not sure how many rounds of ammo you could scrounge, but 8 billion seems a lot.

The whole cutting zombies heads in half thing is strange. Are their skulls rotted or something? I'd assume it takes a lot of effort to cut a skull in half.

I would think Key West would be a good place to hold up. Blow the bridges. Zombies can't swim can they? Cuba would be the last great hope...

They don't breathe either.  They could just walk to an island.  Haven't you seen Pirates of the Caribbean? lol

As to the ease of slicing zombies - cutting through bone should still be tough, but they've been dead for ~8 months probably (assume 1 month for Rick in the hospital, 1 month for season 1 & 2, 6 months for "winter" and baby bump), there's going to be a bit of decay to the soft tissue.  They are going to come apart much easier.

2012-10-16 8:37 AM
in reply to: #4455076

User image

Master
Western MA near the VT & NH border on the CT river

JRL - 2012-10-15 10:25 PM The zombie to drama ratio for this season so far is very good.

I have to disagree.  What makes WD great is the character study of how the survivors intact with each other, how the deal with death of friends and trying to create a new life in a messed up world.

If you think the drama was bad before - wait till they try and make a life in the prison, there are issues of the comic w/ little to no zombies during this phase.  Woodbridge has zombies, but the 'real' monster is the governor.  More zombies in woodbridge wouldnt make the story line any less dramatic, compelling or down right shocking.  

I assume you havent read the comic.  It is one of the best apocalyptic stories I have ever read.  The zombies really are superfluousness.  You could replace them with vampires, werewolves or radioactive CHUD.  The story is about the survivors surviving, not killing zombies.  If it gets more zombie and less character, then the show becomes nothing more than a serialized 'Day of the Dead' as you could care less about the characters living, but how they will gorily die.   No one in DotD had to make the 'real' decisions that Rick and his group have had to make.  Thats what makes Walking Dead different than all zombie movies out there and why its a great TV show and an awesome comic err Graphic novel.

Other than that - I though the first episode was great.  And even though they have made some minor character changes (Dale comes to mind considering what is 'supposed' to happen to him, and what happens IMO is much worse, or Hershel's twins which play a part in the prison) I think its being very true to the story and hope it stays that way and doesnt become just another show with action and no substance. 

2012-10-16 8:47 AM
in reply to: #4455400

User image

ratherbesnowboarding - 2012-10-16 9:37 AM

JRL - 2012-10-15 10:25 PM The zombie to drama ratio for this season so far is very good.

I have to disagree.  What makes WD great is the character study of how the survivors intact with each other, how the deal with death of friends and trying to create a new life in a messed up world.

If you think the drama was bad before - wait till they try and make a life in the prison, there are issues of the comic w/ little to no zombies during this phase.  Woodbridge has zombies, but the 'real' monster is the governor.  More zombies in woodbridge wouldnt make the story line any less dramatic, compelling or down right shocking.  

I assume you havent read the comic.  It is one of the best apocalyptic stories I have ever read.  The zombies really are superfluousness.  You could replace them with vampires, werewolves or radioactive CHUD.  The story is about the survivors surviving, not killing zombies.  If it gets more zombie and less character, then the show becomes nothing more than a serialized 'Day of the Dead' as you could care less about the characters living, but how they will gorily die.   No one in DotD had to make the 'real' decisions that Rick and his group have had to make.  Thats what makes Walking Dead different than all zombie movies out there and why its a great TV show and an awesome comic err Graphic novel.

Other than that - I though the first episode was great.  And even though they have made some minor character changes (Dale comes to mind considering what is 'supposed' to happen to him, and what happens IMO is much worse, or Hershel's twins which play a part in the prison) I think its being very true to the story and hope it stays that way and doesnt become just another show with action and no substance. 

I agree somewhat.  Take-away the drama, you have "night of the living dead".  But too much drama and you have "Lost". 

Seriously though, can these zombies cross water?  I'd think they'd sink.  So Alcatraz would be a good place to hold-up.  I would think they're going to run out of gas at some point too.

I want to see them find a cache of ammo like in Fort Stewart or Camp Lejeune or something and have them go rolling down the road in a Buffalo Vehicle or an AAV just crushing zombies.  Of course, if you go to Camp Lejeune, you'll run into Marine Zombies and that's just scary...probably no more scary than prisoner zombies.

OK, scariest thing possible...Zombie Fetus... Think Aliens...

2012-10-16 8:58 AM
in reply to: #4455432

User image

Master
GomesBolt - 2012-10-16 9:47 AM
ratherbesnowboarding - 2012-10-16 9:37 AM

I agree somewhat.  Take-away the drama, you have "night of the living dead".  But too much drama and you have "Lost". 

Seriously though, can these zombies cross water?  I'd think they'd sink.  So Alcatraz would be a good place to hold-up.  I would think they're going to run out of gas at some point too.

I want to see them find a cache of ammo like in Fort Stewart or Camp Lejeune or something and have them go rolling down the road in a Buffalo Vehicle or an AAV just crushing zombies.  Of course, if you go to Camp Lejeune, you'll run into Marine Zombies and that's just scary...probably no more scary than prisoner zombies.

OK, scariest thing possible...Zombie Fetus... Think Aliens...

Thats whats great about the GN, and the TV show for that matter.  It has the right mix of both.  I dont think that more zombie's in last season would have made it any better.  I was hooked, engrossed in the story and wanted more at the end of every episode.  

2012-10-16 9:39 AM
in reply to: #4455076

User image

Pro

JRL - 2012-10-15 9:25 PM The zombie to drama ratio for this season so far is very good.

100% agree   lets hope it says that way and doesn't get slow     more blood and zombies the better IMO

2012-10-16 9:51 AM
in reply to: #4455542

User image

Iowaman - 2012-10-16 10:39 AM

JRL - 2012-10-15 9:25 PM The zombie to drama ratio for this season so far is very good.

100% agree   lets hope it says that way and doesn't get slow     more blood and zombies the better IMO

So I was also wondering about the zombie blood thing.  How have they kept from getting infected and dying (only to come back) when they are covered in zombie blood?  Presumably, one cut or blister on a hand could turn them into zombies.

I'm asking because I want to make sure I know what level of self-protection to maintain when the zombie apocalypse starts. 

2012-10-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4455568

User image

Champion
SoCal
GomesBolt - 2012-10-16 7:51 AM

So I was also wondering about the zombie blood thing.  How have they kept from getting infected and dying (only to come back) when they are covered in zombie blood?  Presumably, one cut or blister on a hand could turn them into zombies.

I'm asking because I want to make sure I know what level of self-protection to maintain when the zombie apocalypse starts. 

Don't follow the show for self protection from zombies. I would think riot gear or motorcycle racing gear would be the best. Flexible yet tough enough that a zombie would not be able to bite though it.

Edited by Big Appa 2012-10-16 9:55 AM
2012-10-16 9:54 AM
in reply to: #4455542

User image

Master

Prepare to be disappointed

2012-10-16 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4455575

User image

Big Appa - 2012-10-16 10:54 AM
GomesBolt - 2012-10-16 7:51 AM

Don't follow the show for self protection from zombies. I would think riot gear or motorcycle racing gear would be the best. Flexible yet tough enough that a zombie would not be able to bite though it.

Which begs another question.  Why haven't they gotten some clean clothes in 8 months?  They have free clothes at all the shopping malls, but they haven't said "this shirt can stand-up on its own,  I'm gonna get a new one."

Anyone notice the loose-head on the ground when the samurai lady was on a killin spree?  I think it looked like the same head as the one that was in the well at Hershel's farm.  Just recycled a zombie head for that scene. 

2012-10-16 9:59 AM
in reply to: #4455568

User image

Master
GomesBolt - 2012-10-16 10:51 AM

Its not the blood that changes you. its when you die.  You can change if youre bitten because the zombies bite is infected, or its the saliva kills you.  A scratch, gun shot wound or anything wont change you.  Otherwise, with all the splattering blood, they wouldve changed already.

This is walking dead lore, not Romero, so survival rules are a little different

The riot gear works b/c the zombies cant bite though it.  

2012-10-16 10:02 AM
in reply to: #4455582

User image

Master
GomesBolt - 2012-10-16 10:59 AM

Which begs another question.  Why haven't they gotten some clean clothes in 8 months?  They have free clothes at all the shopping malls, but they haven't said "this shirt can stand-up on its own,  I'm gonna get a new one."

I think because all of the stores have been ransacked.. but I agree it is a little strange.   Little spoiler here, they address this while in the prison and they end up wearing prison jumpsuits

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2012-10-16 10:20 AM

2012-10-16 10:16 AM

User image

Expert
Johns Creek, Georgia

Who the hell would want to do a triathlon with zombies in the water.

If you are gonna sit it out anywhere you must have the ability to grow food or access food..  No seeds, no crops.  No animals in the city, well, rats, and there you have disease, and in Zombie world, if you get sick, even dehydrated, you are done for.  Can't run with cramps, tried it before in a 1/2 Iron, nope, doesn't work well.  I will say, if you get hungry enough, you will damn near eat anything.  Oh, BTW, human skin is really that easy to bite through?  PSI on the mandible for a Zombie must have torqued up some.  But hey, it's fantasy right!  ?  right?

2012-10-16 10:34 AM

User image

I'd like to see one of two things in future episodes:

1) A breed of half-zombies that can actually run and communicate, but they're sinister zombies.

and/or

2) regular dead zombies who can run.

The killin's just a little too easy.

As for the mandible strength.  That doesn't coincide well with the ability to slice skull in half with a machete. 

But there is much about the undead of which we do not yet understand...

2012-10-16 11:03 AM
in reply to: #4455657

User image

Master
GomesBolt - 2012-10-16 11:34 AM

I'd like to see one of two things in future episodes:

1) A breed of half-zombies that can actually run and communicate, but they're sinister zombies.

and/or

2) regular dead zombies who can run.

The killin's just a little too easy.

As for the mandible strength.  That doesn't coincide well with the ability to slice skull in half with a machete. 

But there is much about the undead of which we do not yet understand...

Hate to disappoint again, but wont happen.  Not in this mythos.  The zombies are just reanimated corpses that are mostly mindless looking for fresh meat/food.   There are some exceptions as Kirkland has said - 'Its a case by case situation.  Zombies cant climb stairs, but some have problem solving skills like throwing a rock through a window and some remember bits of their past life.' a zombie shows this trait later, but in the TV show (not the comic) Morgans wife displays some remembrance.

The story isnt about the zombies, nor is the title.  The term 'walker' isnt used in the comic.  As the walking dead actually refers to the survivors.

rick

(one of the best panels and plot twists in the comic IMO)

Killing one zombie maybe easy, but killing 100 is next to impossible.  Thats the real strength of the zombies as they just keep coming.   One of the last things you ever want to do in the 'Kirkland world' is turn around and go back the way you came, because most likely you will have a train of zombies on your trail.  Kind of like a lava flow.  Slow, but very deadly if you get trapped and dont pay attention.

Edited by ratherbesnowboarding 2012-10-16 11:04 AM
2012-10-16 12:33 PM

User image

2012-10-20 11:15 PM

User image

Getting ready for tomorrow night.

We're building a house and I said "this closet in the pantry is a good spot for ammo and weapons for the zombie apocalypse."

My wife rolled her eyes.

2012-10-21 8:08 AM
in reply to: #4462126

User image

Pro

GomesBolt - 2012-10-20 11:15 PM Getting ready for tomorrow night.

We're building a house and I said "this closet in the pantry is a good spot for ammo and weapons for the zombie apocalypse."

My wife rolled her eyes.

Now you're thinking clearly.

2012-10-21 8:09 AM
in reply to: #4455911

User image

Pro

Looks like a coverup.

2012-10-21 8:29 PM

User image

Anyone else watching tonight?
2012-10-21 8:40 PM
in reply to: #4462737

User image

Pro

GomesBolt - 2012-10-21 8:29 PM Anyone else watching tonight?

Hell Yes!

P.S. I just killed two walkers in my front yard. Or there will be two jehovah witnesses missing tomorrow. Laughing

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » Walking Dead Season 3 !!!! (May be spoilers!!) Rss Feed  

of 22