Set Up Events
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 6h 16m 35s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 10/24
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 and checked the weather... hmmmm great its a nice and toasty 35 outside... do I really even want to do this?

Had some coffee and a bagel for breakfast and got my gear ready to go, then headed out at about 5:00.

As soon as I pulled out of the parking lot I heard 'beep beep'... hmmmm what was that? Oh, its my truck's computer telling me to be careful because freezing conditions are likely. I ask again do I really want to do this?

Got to the race site and stood in line to pick up my race packet. I passed some folks that decided to camp at the park the night before... thankfully now I don't feel so bad. Got my stuff and went back to the truck to get my gear together and set up my transition.

In transition I had a pre-race gel that I really had to work for... it was the consistency of Vaseline it was so cold. Same thing for my Suit Juice that you are supposed to spray on... yea right, I had to unscrew the cap and slather it on like body lotion. Do I really want to do this?
Event warmup:

None.
Swim
  • 47m 37s
  • 2112 yards
  • 02m 15s / 100 yards
Comments:

I go my suit on and left transition to walk down to the dock. Special thanks to the guy that help me with my zipper. I was so cold and my hands and fingers so numb that I couldn't zip up, so thanks bro.

Leaving transition I had my worst bout of "why in the h3ll am I doing this". The ground was freezing, the grass was freezing, and there was no place that I could go. Its my fault for not having some type of wet suit booties or whatever, but damn my feet are freezing. It did get better though, as I was on the dock waiting to jump in the water, I think that my feet finally froze to the point that they were numb. I literary stopped having any feeling from my feet.

Jumped in the water and actually felt a bit better, the water was 61 degrees so nearly double the outside air temp. I started swimming and it really became a effort of simply finishing... I was cold, I was having a hard time settling into any sort of rhythm and I knew that my only goal was to get this damn thing over with.

Do I really want to keep doing this?

What would you do differently?:

I don't know... if I had booties and had worn the full suit things might have been better, but honestly I didn't sign up for a polar bear plunge but that's what it felt like.
Transition 1
  • 11m 59s
Comments:

Yes you read that right my T1 time was a tick of the clock under 12 minutes. Surprisingly I was 22 of 24 in my AG so I guess it could've been worse.

I knew on the last leg of the swim that it was going to be ridiculous once I got out. What reprieve I got from the 61 degree water was soon to be a detriment multi-fold when I got out. Not sure what the air temp was at the end of the swim, but I'm sure it was still in the 30. The moment I got out I started to shiver uncontrollably and could barely manage a walk into transition.

I knew that there was no way that I could do the bike in any sort of normal triathlon fashion, it was simply too cold. So I toweled off to try to get as dry as possible... I'm not talking about a quick once over with a hand towel... I used a full on beach towel and was drying off like I just got out of the shower.

I then did my best to put on my multiple layers of clothes... 2 pair of socks, my tights, a long sleeve running shirt and my long sleeve cycling jersey. All thing while still shivering uncontrollably.

Do I really want to keep doing this?

Finally grabbed my bike and walked to the mount line. No run, no flying mount none of that nonsense there was no way I could execute so I didn't even try.

Nothing, given the conditions I would do exactly the same thing again.
Bike
  • 3h 11m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 17.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I was dreading this part... mid thirties, still wet, and I'm about to go ride a bike for 3 hours... why am I doing this.

Started out pretty slow, I was actually a bit concerned for my own safety. I was still shivering and my hands and feet were numb. I wanted to try to warm up a bit before going anything that resembles fast just to make sure I was in control of my body and the bike.

For the first 10 miles or so I was actually looking forward to the climbs and was cursing the descents... how effed up is that!

After about 45 minutes or so on the bike, I pretty much warmed up. I could feel my hands and my body was warm. This was the best I felt all day, although I still couldn't feel my feet. I knew at this point I'd be able to make it and I wasn't questioning if I should continue. I was well in the hole by now though and I just decided to get though the rest of the race.

shoe covers maybe.
Transition 2
  • 02m 59s
Comments:

No flying dismount again, I had decided that I was completing, not competing so I didn't want to take any unnecessary chances, besides, I honestly still couldn't feel my feet.

Came in and pulled off the jersey and long sleeve, pulled off the tights and one pair of socks and put on the running kicks. I grabbed my race belt and headed out.

All things considered it wasn't a bad T2, I was 10 of 24 in my AG.

Nothing.
Run
  • 2h 02m 35s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 22s  min/mile
Comments:

Normally, this is my best leg but by this point in the day I just didn't have any push left in me. I'd given up on "racing" this race so I just settled into a nice easy pace.

By mile 2ish of the run, my left foot started to come around and I could feel things again... the right however was not. It was at mile 3-3.5 that I honestly thought about pulling off and looking at my foot, I really thought I might have a case of frost bite. But I just pushed on. Thankfully, by mile 5 or so I started to get feeling back in the right foot , so I knew all was good.

Nothing, had I been "racing" I know I could've pushed to 8:30ish miles.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, got some cold pizza and stretched a bit.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The temperature, plain and simple.

Event comments:

So I set a PW (Personal Worst)for this distance, coming in over 35 minutes slower than my previous "worst" time, but in the end I'm happy. I had strongly considered not even doing the race. It was a mental challenge from the time I woke up, so that said I'm glad I finished! Not sure I'll do this race again though, the timing is just too "iffy" for the weather.

BOP>DFL>DNF>DNS

Last updated: 2012-01-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:47:37 | 2112 yards | 02m 15s / 100yards
Age Group: 22/24
Overall: 97/
Performance: Bad
Suit: Neosport sleeveless
Course: Two loop triangular course
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 61F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 11:59
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:11:27 | 56 miles | 17.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/24
Overall: 48/
Performance: Below average
Timex died on me so I have no idea... so much for taking a licking and keeping on ticking.
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
02:02:35 | 13.1 miles | 09m 22s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/24
Overall: 49/
Performance: Below average
None. See above.
Course: Two loop out and back, fairly rolling course with a small section of gravel and dirt path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 1
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-18 12:51 PM

User image

Master
Washington, DC Metro
Subject: Waterman's Half

2012-10-18 11:24 PM
in reply to: #4459305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Northern Virginia
Subject: RE: Waterman's Half
Great report. If I don't have a chance to post my own next week, I'll simply say x2. It was cold! Congratulations on finishing.
2013-01-10 10:08 AM
in reply to: #4459305

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Waterman's Half

Maybe we need a new classification of triathlete. Liquid Nitrogen Man?

Congratulations for toughing it out and not losing any digits.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Waterman's Half Rss Feed