The Athletic Club of Columbus
52F / 11C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 47m 38s
Overall Rank = 1134/9919
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 111/513
Pre-race routine:

Didn't sleep very well the night before, kept waking up thinking I had overslept. Woke up for good around 5am, took shower and got dressed. Drove downtown with Austin to find parking and walk to the start.
Event warmup:

Not much of a warm-up. Walk from car to start was almost a mile so that was something. Also did a couple short runs and some light stretching.
Run
  • 1h 47m 38s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was split into 2, 1st half going mostly as planned 2nd half falling a part. My goal was to try and reach a 7:50 pace and see how long I could hold that, with all of the traffic I had no luck reaching this. Spent a lot of energy just weaving in and around people to hold a 8m pace. During this time I was trying to find someone to run with but it seems everyone was either much faster or going to slow. So I was on my own! During 1st couple of miles I experienced some discomfort in my right knee, wasn't painful but stiff. Area below my knee cap was biggest concern, monitored this for a short time and after awhile it released and went away!

. During miles 3-7 everything went as expected and uneventful. Only issue during this time was my HR, seemed to hold steady at 170. I thought this was extremely high but my perceived effort did not match the HR. So i just monitored the HR after this and would push it down to 165 occasionally during some slower times

At mile 7 was where things started to get rough, I noticed my effort was going through the roof to maintain pace, thought at 1st it was just fatigue but after .5 mile of struggling I realized the grade had changed and I was actually running up a hill. Obviously nothing steep but a little long and since I wasn't paying attention it did put me in somewhat of a hole. I should have pulled back the effort to go up the grade.

Around mile 8 started my drinking problems. I have yet to learn how to drink from a cup while running, but I knew I needed to get at least water in me. So at this point during the water stations I I would walk to make sure I stayed hydrated. I didn't walk long enough to lose much time but I did lose momentum, each time I slowed it became more and more difficult to get back to pace. This strategy really bit me during miles 11 and 12.

Mile 9 was all about keeping pace to prepare for the last 5k. Once I reached mile 10 I attempted to pick up the pace to finish strong, unfortunately I had nothing left. When I would get to a food pace my exertion would be going through the roof and I just couldn't sustain. A few times during this I pushed my self into heavy breathing and would have to walk. Around mile 12.1 was probably the worst of this.

. At mile 13 I finished the race :)! Even with the struggles I had, this race went fairly well. I may have overestimated my goal but you have to set them somewhere! This race will be a very good learning experience for me, 1st learn to drink and run at the same time! 2nd I need to get some kind of compression sleeve for my legs. After mile 9 I could feel all of the lactic acid and other junk just building up in my calves. This has become a staple of my longer runs and I believe the sleaves may help with that. If anything it cant hurt.
What would you do differently?:

Data is avg Pac/Avg HR
Mile 1: 8:13/165
Mile 2: 7:54/165
Mile 3: 7:59/163
Mile 4: 7:53/170
Mile 5: 7:53/170
Mile 6: 7:50/170
Mile 7: 8:20/170
Mile 8: 8:25/168
Mile 9: 8:01/171
Mile 10:8:18/168
Mile 11:8:18/169
Mile 12:8:31/169
Mile 13:8:20/167
Last 0.1: 7:16/175
Post race
Event comments:

I enjoyed this race, I put everything I had into completing it under my goal time. Just not to that level yet! I do feel I left everything out on the course, and specifically around mile 10 or 11. Looking at the pace data I was surprised to see how long I managed to hold close to 7:50 pace, I didnt think I was close to it. Now time to put more miles in and get over that (Or under) the 1:45 wall.

Last updated: 2012-10-15 12:00 AM
Running
01:47:38 | 13.1 miles | 08m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 111/513
Overall: 1134/9919
Performance: Average
Total Avg HR 168 states a max of 191 but this is in the 1st mile so I assume it is the recent strap issues. Next highest was 176!
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2012-10-21 6:25 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Columbus Half Marathon

2012-10-21 7:23 PM
in reply to: #4462610

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
Subject: RE: Columbus Half Marathon

Nice race!

I don't think things looked that bad at all.  The only thing might have been to try to even out the pace a little more rather than run at your goal pace in the early miles.  I don't think your fitness is too far off a 1:45 pace.  Next time you do a HM try to get into the pace group that will support your goals.  Doing this will help you find people to help you get through the hard miles and take your mind off the struggles you're in.

Drinking from a cup isn't pretty no matter what you do.  I don't even try to get all of the liquid, just a few drops or a large sip is all that's needed.  I've had it run up my nose, all over my glasses, etc..........

I think you had a good race and you PR'd!  Great job!!

2012-10-22 12:33 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Congrats on a great race.  hey this will give you something to shoot for.  You almost got it!!  The only thing is you might want a little fuel toward the end, energy drink or something....carry a cookie in your pocket...
2012-10-22 7:47 PM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
Matt congrats on a very good race. I think you did a great job running at the pace you did and you were not very far off your goal time. I think you are right there to hit it next time you do it. The hardest part about doing the HM and Marathons is getting your pacing right over the course of the entire race. I think you did a great job of keep a pretty consistent pace throughout the race and you finished out strong. Like Dirk said there is no good or easy way to run and drink from cups. I try an slow up a bit and hope I get more of the drink down my throat then getting it all over me.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Columbus Half Marathon Rss Feed