The Empire State Marathon
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 46m 52s
Overall Rank = 201/1351
Age Group = 45 - 49
Age Group Rank = 18/80
Pre-race routine:

Up early to have a little breakfast and pack up some warmer clothes for post race. Mike stayed at Dud's house since he was going to be out late, and I picked them both up and headed to Syracuse. Once at the race site we found the porto potties and hung out.

Struggled a bit with what to wear, long sleeves or short. Decided on short sleeves with gloves and it turned out to be a good choice.

Tried to start my garmin and realized I had left it on and the batteries were dead. Mike and Dud had planned to run together so Dud lent me his 305! Thank you!!!
Event warmup:

Stood in the starting corral shivering looking for my sister, brother in law and niece. Standing on tip toes looking and they were standing right in front of me!
Other than that, no particular warm up.
Run
  • 1h 46m 52s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Wished everyone around me good luck and slowly moved forward as the crowd began to creep along. Once we got going the road opened up some and it allowed me to get into my pace. The miles clicked off and at about mile 3 we entered the park, they are in the process of setting up all the Christmas displays that are a big deal in this park. Although they weren't lit, it was interesting to see what they were and provided a nice mental distraction.

Most of the first half was into a pretty stiff breeze, so I was encouraged that the miles went off at a fairly consistent pace right about 8 min/mile according to the Garmin. I kept thinking that the wind would be to my back on the way in and it would help, although that is more mental than anything.

It seemed to take forever to get from the mile 6 marker to the turn around at half way. I was looking forward to that to start seeing the people going out and look for some familiar faces.

Unfortunately the wind didn't help much, and although it didn't creep as bad as it did last month in Rochester, the pace did gradually slow for the second half of the race. Especially after mile 10, where the avg. pace fell above 8 minutes and I think subconsciously I let up a bit.

Finished fairly strong using a couple of people that passed me as rabbits to chase or at least keep consistent with the last half mile or so.

Fairly happy as I beat my time from last month, but this was an easier course so I should have been. Not disappointed, but I know I can do better.
What would you do differently?:

My training wasn't as good in September as I would have liked between travel and other time commitments. Plus, this season was kind of a bust so my motivation to train hard hasn't been there.
Post race
Warm down:

Waited for the rest of the crew to finish up. Put on some warm and dry clothes, grabbed a chocolate milk. When everyone finished we headed to Denny's for breakfast, Thanks Mike!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This page left blank intentionally

Event comments:

Lots of aid stations!! I believer there was one every mile, or close to it. Course is a PR type course, especially with a nice typical fall day. Next year!
Post race we found it a struggle to find water and the food area was quite crowded.
Other wise they did a nice job and I would certainly participate in this race again.

Last updated: 2012-09-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:46:52 | 13.1 miles | 08m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/80
Overall: 201/1351
Performance: Average
Course: Out and back on park roads along the lake.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-10-25 8:40 AM

User image

Pro
Canandaigua NY
Subject: Empire State Half Marathon

2012-10-25 9:24 AM
in reply to: #4468504

User image

Extreme Veteran
Cold Spring, NY
Subject: RE: Empire State Half Marathon
Solid race, Ken!
2012-10-25 9:52 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Solid race!  Nice work out there!!
2012-10-25 10:43 AM

User image

Expert
Chugiak, Alaska
Its always great to read your RR reports Ken! Thanks for sharing!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Empire State Half Marathon Rss Feed