Cowtown Marathon
36F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 30m 41s
Overall Rank = 113/528
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 6/10
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 5am after a not real restful nights sleep. Woke up about 3:30 am and just couldn't get back to sleep. Dug out the cold weather running gear, got dressed, ate a Peanut Butter and Honey Sandwich. Headed over to Jared's House to pick him up and headed to the Speedway
Event warmup:

No real warm-up other than some jumping around to stay warm waiting for the race to start. I was very anxious about the race until I got into the start corral. Once I got in there, and the gun went off, I started to relax a bit.
Run
  • 30m 41s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

I was very nervous about this race for no reason other than I've not raced for at least a year and a half. I was also anxious because I was not expecting a good time.

Run started out really well, and I thought. WoW -- I'm gonna burn myself out, and die, but I was able to stay very consistent on pace ranging from 9:43 to 9:57 per mile.
What would you do differently?:

Of Course, I'd be better trained so I could go closer to my last 5k, but overall, I think I would have managed the HR perhaps a little better. It got a little high at the end, and I actually slowed down as a result.

I think also, I need to step up distances on my training runs now. I've got some speed, but I need better endurance over distance, and that won't come without some extension of distance.

Post race
Warm down:

Just walked it off for a few yards, grabbed some water and my medal, then went back to the finish line with a buddy who was volunteering and helped guide runners still coming once they came in.

Watched for several friends who were running the half come in.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I performed better than I expected to today, particularly given my LONG absence from racing, and the just getting restarted training a few weeks ago. I'm really pleased.

I could have perhaps 'redlined' it a bit more, pushed the heart rate a bit higher, but I really don't feel that would have been the best course. I'm extremely pleased with today's result

Event comments:

This is the first year of the event. Was good. Few little VERY minor issues that will correct themselves quickly for next year, but I'll DEFINATELY do this race again. The venue is a lot of fun. It's pretty cool to go out and RUN on a NASCAR track!

Last updated: 2012-10-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:30:41 | 03.11 miles | 09m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 6/10
Overall: 113/528
Performance: Good
Lap 1- Ave 9:43 Max: 8:46 AVG HR 167 Lap 2- Ave 9:48 Max: 8:54 AVG HR 169 Lap 3- Ave 9:57 Max: 8:30 AVG HR 174 Lap 3.1 Avg 9:57 Max: 8:54 AVG HR 176
Course: Course started in the midfield area of the Texas Motor Speedway, ran out into the general service roads for about a quarter of a mile. Came back into the infield area, entered Pit Row, and then did the final 1.25 miles on the actual Texas Motor Speedway Main Track. Course very flat except for the tunnel we had to go through to get to the outter parking lot and back into the midfield.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-10-27 2:52 PM

User image

Expert
Tremonton, Utah
Subject: No Limits Run 5k

2012-10-27 3:01 PM
in reply to: #4471864

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio
Subject: RE: No Limits Run 5k
Awesome job on your first race in a long time!

Met the goal pace too.  Go You!! 
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » No Limits Run 5k Rss Feed