United States
61F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 26m 51s
Overall Rank = 164/327
Age Group = 50-54 M
Age Group Rank = 8/12
Pre-race routine:

I started feeling bad really Wednesday but I thought maybe it was nerves, worse Thursday, better Friday and Saturday I got up at 3:30a.m., took 2 Allegra sinus pills and 2 Aleve because I was feeling so achie or however you spell it. I ate breakfast of yogurt, protein powder and oatmeal and a banana and of course I had coffee and my pre-workout stimulant I always take. I was so nervous, my stomach was churning and I was wondering if I would even get in the water, I was DREADING it. Then I tried to get my mind right and say I was going to enjoy the swim and the experience.
We got to the tri and going into the transition area got marked. (Remember to carry a flashlight) I had to ask for help finding my bike rack. Ummmm, the bike rack I was in already had bikes racked with tri bikes and they all had Zipp wheels, aero helmets, shoes clipped in and gosh that was intimidating. Got set up and tried to relax, just talking to people. They finally closed transition and we headed to the water. It was getting windy with the wind blowing straight in. The 1st flight was college guys, 2nd college women, 3 flight 40+ men, 4th flight 39 under men, 5th flight ladies, 6th flight athena and clydes. FSU, University of Florida and Central Florida all had their tri teams here. At the start of the swim they announced the 50 – 55 males were the most competitive group. (I’m 51 and it was not me). I thought, I will get swam over by the 39 and below.

Event warmup:

Just tried to relax and visit the portie potties. Note, prioe to swim, take off wetusit before going to portie pottie.
Swim
  • 13m 20s
  • 586 yards
  • 02m 17s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim started, I let everyone go, I tried to draft but it didn’t work, I was swimming very straight to the buoy made the turn 200 yards out and said hey this is easy, and started swimming to the 2nd buoy and figured I needed to increase my speed so I started trying to push it (BIG MISTAKE) that is when I got off line and started getting winded so I turned over and floated for a few seconds to rest but finally go to the 2nd buoy and said yea I can now see the finish, just 200 yards away, now the flight behind me was catching me so I tried to push it again, do you see a common thread here (I’m not smart) so I had to roll over and float again but finally made it in. swim time 13.20
What would you do differently?:

Learn to swim better, i just started lesson in march of this year so I still have lots of work to do.
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I was expecting 5 minutes w/ wetsuit issues but it was very kind to me and just slid off.
Bike
  • 42m 45s
  • 13.96 miles
  • 19.59 mile/hr
Comments:

BTW, I took Tallulah my tri bike. I was thinking of taking my road bike due to the wind and such a short course. I am also not that good at riding a tri bike yet but it went as smooth as goat lips.I chose the tri bike because of the aero bottle and not having to slow down to drink out of a bottle. The wind increased the longer we were out there. The ride was non-eventful, I was passed by 6 people and passed two of them again but the 4 that passed me and kept going passed me like I was going backwards. I passed a BUNCH!!! I did take a big sip of drink prior to the run (another mistake) 13.96 miles 42.45
Transition 2
  • 01m 35s
Comments:

I was slow with this one, maybe I sat down and had a sandwich, I don't know!
Run
  • 26m 46s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Run, I had a hard time getting my race belt hooked and the headed out but gosh my stomach was churning due to the last drink. The 1st ¼ mile I thought I would throw up but I finally had a big burp and felt a lot better. The 1st mile was “off-road”. I haven’t run off road in a LONG time so it was different. We finally came to pavement and I was finally feeling good then we went off road again and this time it was VERY sandy and was probably ¾ mile long but then we came out of the sand and on to pavement. Now we were headed up a hill but at least it was paved. I just focused on form and coasted to the finish and wasn’t really tired at all. Time 26.46 5k
What would you do differently?:

run more
Post race
Warm down:

got some red beans and rice and waited for wife to come in.

Got to brag on wife, she got 2nd in her AG and it was her 1st tri also!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

lack of ability in the swim, bike and run but this was my 1st ever tri, the one i will remember for as long as I live.

I did about as good as I could considering my conditioning.

Event comments:

This race gets a perfect 10! They had practice OWS and runs and without them, i would not have finished. My 1st OWS practice, I DNF, had it been a race, it would have happened then. My hat is off to the organizer and volunteers. It was so good, we have already volunteered for next year's race as we want to give back to the community. This was my 1st tri and it was a blast!

Last updated: 2012-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:20 | 586 yards | 02m 17s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/12
Overall: 0/327
Performance: Below average
Suit: full with sleeves
Course: 200 yards out, turn right 200 yards and turn right 200 yards
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Bad Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance:
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:45 | 13.96 miles | 19.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 6/12
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong
Course:
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 01:35
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:26:46 | 03.11 miles | 08m 37s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/12
Performance: Below average
Course: Started off road, then a short amount of pavement, then off road again in the sand, then back on pavement.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-29 12:29 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
Subject: Tri The Rez

2012-10-29 4:11 PM
in reply to: #4473747

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tallahassee, Florida
Subject: RE: Tri The Rez

Thanks for sticking around in the cold to wait for wife's AG award.

You did amazing in the whole race but especially on the swim portion.  WTG.  Sorry you were sick but really glad that you were able to compete.

2012-10-30 12:18 PM

User image

Master
Columbia, TN

Good place to start.  I think it was 2002 when I did my first sprint tri after being out of endurance sports for 15+ years.  I was directly in the middle of the finishers overall.

The next 3 years the same...(because I didn't train much for tri).

Obviously we all tend to look at others through the lenses of comparison.  So I guess that I'm saying you are showing some pretty darn good potential to have done this well in your first race and at your ripe young age no less. 

However, you need to notice that the 50+ age group is so competitive.  Resist the temptation to judge yourself right away by your age group placing.

2012-10-30 5:21 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Center of My Universe
I am glad you both had a great first race!  I was one of the folks working body marking and transition.  If you don't already, come on out to the tri club meetings.  There is a great tri community here.

Edited by TriFlorida 2012-10-30 5:22 PM
2012-10-30 8:39 PM

User image

Master
St. Louis
Congrats on a great first race triathlete! Awesome job.
2012-10-31 9:13 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

Karl congrats to you and your wife for completing your Tri. You did a great job and your finishing time is very good. Way to hang in there on the swim and your bike and run legs were very good. You also did a great job with your transitions as well. A great first race for you and if you stay with it you will only continue to get better.

2012-11-01 2:59 AM

User image

Veteran
Huntertown, IN
Congratulations on completing your first triathlon.  You should be really proud! 
2013-02-20 2:39 PM

User image

Minneapolis
I know I'm a bit late to the party, but: great work, both you and your wife! I don't know why you're being so hard on yourself, your splits were really respectable (well, the swim, but, still--way to go & still way faster than I was-HA!) Congratulations on getting it done!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri The Rez Rss Feed