Xterra
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 46m 6s
Overall Rank = 361/652
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 24/54
Pre-race routine:

woke up around 5am, ate breakfast (eggs, toast, powerbar, coffee). A little tired from lack of sleep due to Tsunami warning the night before that kept everyone up (Luckily no race hiccups occurred due to Tsunami!)

Event warmup:

short beach run and tested the waters with a short swim.
Swim
  • 31m 39s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

Ok, this was a bit nuts. Shorebreak was overhead smashers that creamed us each time we went in/out of the surf. They started us right into a large set which sent hundreds flying into each other, bodies all over. The buoys were hard to sight due to chaos, chop. The return path to the beach was hard to sight because lack of buoys (they needed more). Lack of water personnel made it a chaotic mess in the middle of the "M" course. Head on collisions and also people cutting the course :(. The shorebreak pounded me each time I went in and out, felt like I was drowning.
Transition 1
  • 03m 20s
Comments:

Ok T1. LONG run from the beach to the spot where my bike was, perched on top a grassy hill.
Bike
  • 2h 12m 6s
  • 19.88 miles
  • 9.03 mile/hr
Comments:

Course was a mix of new sections and parts from last year.
Overall very hilly and quite difficult. Harder course than last year for sure. I'd like to say that's why I was 10mins slower...haha.
My right knee was killing me the last 5 miles. Sucked in a lot of red dirt, thought I was going to choke to death at times. Luckily no mechanical issues, although I was armed to the teeth with parts and tubes. Wish I was a bit faster on the bike, but was trying not to blow out for the run.
What would you do differently?:

maybe get a dust mask? Thought of that last year but failed to get one.
Train harder!!
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

one of my better T2's. I was surprised at being ready and out onto the course in 2 mins. Not stellar, but decent.
Run
  • 57m 2s
  • 7.46 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

very hilly, pretty much same course as last year.
My run split almost the same too. But felt way more comfortable in my Montrails as opposed to the stupid Mizuno's I wore last year.

Right knee was killing me about half way into the race.
Started to get a MEAN cramp in my right leg on mile 4.5, was hoping that it would subside. It did but was on the edge of going ballistic.

What would you do differently?:

Generally happy with performance. the only way I could do better is train harder...
Post race
Warm down:

the usual, walk around..eat ...drink.
rode back to condo on the bike, although pedaling with one leg due to knee pain (one legged cycling drills helped here!)

Event comments:

I was very happy the race went off. It could have been changed significantly due to the Tsunami, so grateful for that.

However, I think the swim was not planned well and will be making suggestions to the race staff on this.

I also think they should give us a least 2 free beers at the finish, as they had kegs of Kona longboard available. We paid $450, and triathletes generally don't have money on them when you finish. At $6 per beer, it was kinda ridiculous and cruel to have cold beer sitting there. So I split and bought my own ;-)

Last updated: 2012-10-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:31:39 | 1640 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 23/54
Overall: 366/652
Performance: Average
Suit: 2 piece tri
Course: "M" course, starting right, moving left. Short beach run in between "M"
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: High
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Average Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:20
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:12:06 | 19.88 miles | 9.03 mile/hr
Age Group: 28/54
Overall: 401/652
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Single loop. Mix of Single track, dirt cane roads, and rutted jeep roads.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:57:02 | 07.46 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/54
Overall: 309/652
Performance: Good
Course: single loop, single track and some dirt road.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2012-10-30 1:37 PM

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: XTERRA World Championship

2012-10-30 6:58 PM
in reply to: #4475354

User image

Master
Kailua, Hawaii
Subject: RE: XTERRA World Championship

For those interested, I'll try to summarize the race day.

During our pre-race dinner on Saturday, people were not-so-quietly pre-occupied with their cellphones...whispering of a "TSUNAMI headed for Hawaii" was causing a disturbance in the room. Finally the guy on the stage announced that there was a Tsunami warning and a wave was headed straight to Maui at 10:28pm. All due to a 7.7 earthquake off the coast of BC Canada.

We were pretty much in disbelief, on the eve of XTERRA World Championships 2012! After the dinner we all departed to anxiously watch news reports on TV and the web as to what the Tsunami was planning on doing to us. Evacuations, emergency sirens, and mayhem proceeded to disrupt the night. Luckily we weren't in an evacuation zone, and decided we were safe and I faded off to sleep by 10pm.

Waking up around 2am to find out the "All Clear" was given and no danger was present. Race would be on, but how about that ocean swim ? TBD...

XTERRA announced in the AM that the swim would be ON. I was actually very glad, as the alternative was a 4K run as substitute...yuck!  Although the shorebreak was huge due to a big swell that had come in.

Waking at 5am, made our beloved pot of coffee, showered and made a simple breakfast of scrambled eggs and toasted bagel. Got my stuff together, filled the camelbak and bottles, loaded nutrition. Got the sunscreen and trisuit on.

We headed out to ride a mile or so down the road to transition. Beautiful morning, and no sign of the Tsunami activity the night before, as if it never happened. A few weary eyes though!

High up on the hill was the transition, and my spot was at the very top. Quite a long grassy hill run from the beach to the bike. Was not going to be easy.

Stood in a LONG line for body marking, was worried we wouldn't get done in time for the race start. But miracles happen, everyone got body marked.

Had time for a quick swim, and get used to the shorebreak, which had overhead sets coming in. Then a short beach run. Helicopters madly buzzing overhead to get shots of the corral of racers.

Wave starts this year, pros went first..fairly uneventful. And after about 2 minutes, they released the herd of Male AGers...right into a huge wave ! Bodies clashing everywhere, I got nailed in the nose and head. Stuggled to regain balance and head back out, getting pummeled.

Finally out to the crowded mass of triathletes struggling to get through the chop. Headed out to the first buoy. A "M" style course, we rounded the buoy and headed back to shore for a beach run to a second loop. Got totally SMASHED in the shorebreak, exiting to the beach...and then creamed again headed back out.

Total CHAOS with swimmers drifting too far down into HEADON collisions with swimmers going out. Many reported people cutting the course, never good to hear. This needed a tighter control.

The swim finished up with a beach run to grass, up the hill to transition. Got onto the bike pretty fast and out to the dusty hills...

Grinding up the first hill was evil to the quads and calves, a few walking due to steepness.  This was early for that I thought.  Very sandy in many spots, making it hard to negotiate quickly. Bikers getting stuck and clogging up the path. Most of the first half was single track/narrow, and then opened up to wider dirt/jeep roads.

Got very hilly after about 3 miles, and continued the uphill battles till about mile 8 or so. Beautiful views of the ocean and mountains. Too bad I missed the valley view of the new part of the course, guess I was preoccupied by race.

Race got real intense after the climbs, as we screamed downhill in crazy dust clouds, and rutty, rocky jeep roads/cane roads. Abrupt sandy turns caused some wipeouts, and congestion.

The heat wasn't too bad and had a few drizzles of rain hit us here and there. The course was taking it's toll by mile 14 on me, as my right knee started to give out. I had to nurse that though the remainder of up and down sections with some hard hills. Then back to the single track area, for about 3 miles and then out to a fast pavement back to transition. Yay, the bike was done!

Everyone looked like they'd been at war, so dirty and wasted looking.

Fast T2, despite the pains and grueling bike...cruised out for the run. Felt pretty good, as we headed back out to the hills for the 10k.

This course is essentially 3 miles up to a lake, and then back down. It just saps the life out of you.

Now the left knee decided to start killing me by the time I crawled up to the lake, tried to keep up the pace despite the pain. Popped another 2x caffeine gel to work some magic.

The downhill parts were technical at times, leaping over logs and ducking tree branches. Was careful not to "bean" myself like I've done in the past trail runs (wearing a hat).

By mile 5, I was spent...my left hamstring twitched and threatened to lock up in a spasm. I quickly reached for the salt pills and downed one immediately. Just hoped I could hold off the cramps till the finish line. Headed up the last sharp climb (yes not all downhill)

Then the final mile - ocean and hotel in sight ! I was so stoked to know I would be done in less than 10minutes. 

Hit the beach for their little torture sand run, and then onto the hotel grass...to the finish line.

So glad to get that wet cold Gatorade towel they give out. Felt so good to finish.

Grueling, but had a lot of fun.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA World Championship Rss Feed