General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Conroe, Texas
United States
Outloud! Productions
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 46m 31s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at around 4:30 which wasn't bad considering we had just changed times. Ate a bagel w/peanut butter, OJ and had a banana. Grabbed a cup of coffee and took off for the race. My first HIM/70.3
Event warmup:

** - these times are via my own watch. The results didn't have me on them at all - not my bib number, or anything. I contacted them and they are doing back-up search - whatever that is.*** UPDATE: They found my results - I adjusted times from my watch to the official watch.
Swim
  • 37m 44s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 47s / 100 yards
Comments:

Hit the water running and just dealt with the usual kicks and punches, as well has dealt them out myself. After about 200 yards there was a little room. Felt good, just kept passing people. I breath out of my left side so I had to sight more considering buoys were on our right. This caused me to get off course a few times which I had to correct. I didn't do too much drafting but some. To be honest, I actually enjoyed the swim. I could have went a little harder but wanted to save energy for the rest of the day.
What would you do differently?:

Need to train myself to breath out of the right side more.
Transition 1
  • 03m 55s
Comments:

Out of the water, and after the strippers peel off the suit there is a 1/6 mile run to T-1. Of course my HR jumped. T-1 was longer because I ride with socks and had to throw on my HR monitor. It was here that I was surprised to see I beat a buddy of mine out of the water. but he beat me out of T-1 and I wouldn't see him the rest of the day until finish.
Bike
  • 2h 53m 40s
  • 56 miles
  • 19.35 mile/hr
Comments:

Jumped on the bike and was glad to be out of the water. My HR had sky rocketed once I got into T-1 and I was unable to get it under control until about mile 12. I'm to blame for much of this since my average speed was 20.3 mph up to about mile 20. I had planned to stay at around 18.5 mph but race day got ahead of me.

My nutrition plan was to consume a gel every 20-25 minutes, with a Stinger Waffle every third and sip on my water and Perform. However, at around mile 20 i started to feel bloated and get minor stomach cramps. So I stopped eating at all and only sipped on my water. This eventually solved the problem because at around mile 42 i no longer had the cramps and bloating was minimal. -Fight the battle, not the plan-

There were plenty of rolling hills, but I had trained in the area. My plan wasn't to try and smash the hills but rather to just get up them without expending too much energy.

The only thing different i'd do was change up my nutrition plan.
Transition 2
  • 01m 13s
Comments:

Got into T-2 and saw some friends that were cheering, great motivation.
Run
  • 2h 09m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

The first couple miles on the run I was averaging 7:43 pace as I tried to get my running feet into gear. Then the heat and sun started kicking in. I was consistently passing other athletes but trying to maintain a do able pace. The first few water stations i took a little water and kept going. Then i started to get very thirst and hot. At around mile 4 i felt some cramps in my quads so the next water station i drank some gatorade and took some electrolyte pills they had, threw some ice down my pants, dumped water over my self. This helped and by the next mile the cramps were gone. I had slowed down considerably but didn't bonk, nor would I. I just kept going telling my self -"just keep going." I guess i actually said it out loud once because another athlete heard me and said "good idea." I had a good laugh at that. In my head I was positive the whole time. I didn't go to any dark places.

During my last lap, as I ran by the hotel's huge crystal clear pool i wanted to just jump in it. It was getting hotter and i slowed down even more but didn't walk at all. However, i did walk through the last four water stations, ate more ice, threw some down my pants, and just kept going. By this time my shoes were soaked with all the water. I could feel a small blister forming as well but I just sucked it up and kept trudging along. Also, by mile 11 I had to pee...which i did as I ran. No biggie. I was still thirsty, just kept drinking the water and moving, eating some ice. I picked up my pace for the last mile and started passing more people, felt good as the end was in sight. Ran by my team's tent and enjoyed the motivation. Pealed off towards the chute and crossed the finish line.

After crossing i was, to be honest, dazed and slightly dizzy. I finished at 5:46, and exceeded my over all goal for my first 70.3 of a sub 6 hour. Right after I crossed a neighbor of mine came up to me and told me I had a great race - I thanked her but was, like I said, dazed and out of it.

Fun race, very challenging.

Tough to say, but I had been trained considerably thanks to a new coach. When I came across problems, i tried to solve them such as my thirst, HR, bloating and cramps. I'd like to have a better run since all my training I've been averaging 8:10 per/mile - some faster and some slower. But the heat today really made me adjust my fight, and I didn't bonk.
Post race
Warm down:

Made my way back the team's tent and started drinking some beer.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think the heat did.

Last updated: 2012-07-23 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:37:44 | 2112 yards | 01m 47s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Hurricane Cat-1
Course: One large loop with about three turns. Buoys on the right.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 03:55
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
02:53:40 | 56 miles | 19.35 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Average HR for the bike was 154 - way above my normal.
Wind: Little
Course: The majority of the roads were great with the exception of about 7-miles. The scenery was nice when I was looking at it. Pine forest, rolling hills, farms, old towns.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:13
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
02:09:55 | 13.1 miles | 09m 55s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Average Hr for the run was 160.
Course: Three loops at 4.34 miles each. The course takes you through some nice neighborhoods, through the hotel area, buy the water and pool, over grass and pavement.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2012-11-05 8:59 AM

User image

Veteran
The Woodlands, Tx
Subject: Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Oil Man Texas Triathlon - Formerly Iron Star Triathlon Rss Feed