World Triathlon Corporation
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 46m 57s
Overall Rank = 1199/3061
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 31/112
Pre-race routine:

This was a weird one for me...usually I travel and stay with my training partners and/or teammates. This time I got my slot and hotel through EST and was a mile away from my usual buddies. Flew in on Halloween night with Steve and Terese (Mirinda Carfrae was on out connecting flight! I was star struck!), then off to my new hotel. Made my way to the Summit to visit Paul, Anke and Steve (yes, I had a small glass of champagne) and retrieve my gear bag that traveled in the trailer.

Thursday was busy with a swim at the Summit, registration, riding the run course, grocery shopping, a tri club reception where we got to meet defending champ Jessica Jacobs and Merideth Kessler...awesome, and the athlete dinner (but not before I managed to get my picture taken with Rinney and her rig!!! SWEET!)

Friday was another short swim, detail the bike, tape on the nutrition, make up bottles for the am, bike check in and massage, then I decided to not join my teammates and eat at the condo with the EST folks. Plain pasta and bread. No veggies to upset the tummy. Or so I though.

Saturday am had me texting Steve, eating most of a bagel w/ peanut butter and jam, and some coffee,then making my way to SN drop, T1, bodymarking, pump the tires, nutrition on and walk to the gathering spot where my coach and some of Team Green folks were. Saw Seashell, Little Brown Nut, Bendy Boy, Batman, Paul, Joe, Captain Dave, Jhag and Ron. Never did see Steve or Dave (Booooo!) whom I've started EVERY race with for the past 2 years before the cannon.
Event warmup:

Did some arm swings and hip swings to loosen up pre swim.
Swim
  • 1h 12m 33s
  • 3800 meters
  • 01m 55s / 100 meters
Comments:

Bitching draft on loop one, very congested and tough to find clear water till after the first turn. It was not my worst IM swim from the standpoint of being hit/clobbered, but it was the roughest water I've had to race in at the distance. I was on pace for a nice pr after the first loop, but my second loop ( which includes the walk to get back in the water along the beach...walk because it was so congested and everyone was walking!) was MUCH slower. I was pushed off course a few times by the current...I felt like I was swimming well, so perhaps the smaller draft hurt me. Post race I found a nice hole in the armpit of the wetsuit that I'm sure didn't help my swim!
What would you do differently?:

I think I should have stuck closer to the buoys from the get go, and sighted more on loop two. I'll be racing in a new wetsuit next year, so I won't be taking on more water in my suit.
Transition 1
  • 07m 34s
Comments:

Ran up the shoot, got stripped, ran to my bag which was straight on from the exit off the beach and hustled into the changing room. I got a volunteer right away and she was awesome. I followed my list (no thinking in transition...it always slows me down!) and decided to run with my shoes in my hands to my bike as it is a bit of a jog. My feet were dirty when I got there, but I was ok with it. Volunteers had my bike and I took off for the new bike exit and mount area after putting on my shoes.

Not much. Streamline my list a tad. I really like having my own sunblock and the volunteers are always great about getting my shoulders and back so I don't fry on the bike. Improved a ton from 2010 and a good bit from IMLP last year.
Bike
  • 5h 59m 56s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.67 mile/hr
Comments:

Started out easy as planned, didn't drink till 24' in as planned, peed at mile 30, good. But by then my gut was already squaking and making me concerned. Wasn't sure I could pick it up as planned at mile 40 with the gut issues. I pushed myself and only backed off when the cramping was bad. Which was quite a bit I'm sad to report. I kept hoping it would stop after a few hours like in Spain, but no. Stoppd at SN to get my 2 hour bottle of infinit. My garmin was on run some how at mile 68 or so, so I had to reset it and start multisport over again. Thank goodness it was reset at mile 70 so I could keep track of where I was, but I lost overall time and one file. Grrrr. I averaged 19.1 even with the 2 stops at this point and my avg watts were only 117. Then at about mile 80 I pulled over to dump my nutrition. My gut was not having it anymore, and I took the opportunity to go potty as well. Bummer. 3 stops just like in 2010. I switched to perform and water at that point.

I've got to get my nutritional demons tamed and learn to pee on that darn bike. My speed was pretty much where I wanted it with big gut pain, so all that means to me is I missed out a big PR again. My being off the bike for almost 14' also killed my overall bike split. I really really love my bike, and should have had a great day out there. My legs felt soooo good, but my gut was soooo bad! If I can master these two things by IMAZ, I will be in good shape!
Transition 2
  • 06m 33s
Comments:

A nice improvement over 2010 here,but much slower than IMLP last year. Still needs to be faster. I basically walked all the way inside to the changing area for ladies. Gut was pissed. Got another great volunteer to sunblock me, pulled on the shoes, drank some water, then trotted slowly out through "the GATES OF HELL" (there are two pergola's you run under in transition that lead to the run course) aptly named by my buddy Pammy in 2010. :)

Run to the changing tent and just speed up a bit. I'd like to get this under 5' in AZ next year.
Run
  • 5h 20m 21s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 12m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Well, not the run I was gunning for by a long shot. Between the gut, the heat on loop one, and the dead garmin I ended up going about 8 minutes slower than in 2010 with legs that had more in them for sure. I had to walk quite a bit in the first few miles...it was like 82 and humid and my hr was over my cap in miles 1 and 2. Not a good sign. I got advice from Paul to drink only water to help with my gut on the final stretch of the bike, so thats exactly what I did. He saved my race. I used sponges, ice in my bra, pants and hands to keep cool which was working ok, but didn't realize how wet my socks were getting till about mile 8 or 9. When I saw the 11 mile mark, I was so excited knowing I'd be able to change socks in 2 miles (more great advice from Paul!) I had immodium in my SN bag, so I took that as well as changed my socks. I handed my dead garmin to Nell after the turn around. For the rest of the run I had to go by RPE...no evil beep to keep me pressing forward. I ran as much as I could and walked when I needed to. My stomach finally started to chill and the temps dropped which helped me run more. I saw Steve, Ranger, Batman, Pat, Terese, Trish, Paul, Dave, Noe' and Kevin on the run. Since I knew my perfect race was not to be I made sure to encourage my team mates, shared my tums and tylenol with new run friends, and walked and strategized with Annelise at about 19 miles for me and 6 for her. The last 10K I started to ask people what the time was here and there. I figured out if I kept running when I could, I may be able to pr after all. I ran as long as I could, then would take breaks to lower my rpe. Then do it again. Water, chicken broth, orange, grapes. Do it again. Finally I was hearing the finish line. I was moving as fast as I could, and then I heard the words any Ironman competitor longs to hear: Trish Marshall, you are an IRONMAN.

Oh so much. Again, nutrition has been my undoing. But the error in having my 910 light set for too long in bike and run mode killed my forced motivation that worked so well at the REV3 half. I didn't want to have to think, or do math. I wanted to just be a slave to my watch. Meh. Now I know.
The heat slowed me down for sure, but I think I managed that pretty well considering. My run training needs to be bumped up and will be for next season starting with a run block this winter. I am really tired of saying the same thing in most of my race reports...I need to improve my running.

I think I will either take immodium before racing or at least have it in my transition bags as well as SN. Had I been able to take that earlier I may have been able to run better longer.
Post race
Warm down:

None really. Got a massage, walked back to the Team Fraser finish line tents to get my phone, which was locked .3 mile away in the team trailer (not getting that now!) talked with my coach a bit, then went back to my condo to clean up, put on my zoot tights and rest up a bit before heading back down to the best part of the day, the finish line party. I couldn't even have the beer Ron had at the finish line for me till almost 11:30. It was so great to see Jen, Annelise and Yvette (who finished in 17:06:xx...I CRIED) finish their journey to become IRON. Loved Dancing with Scribby, Nell, Dave, Terese and Joanna and calling so many athletes with the crowd "YOU ARE AN IRONMAN"!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition, dead garmin, mental toughness in the physically dark places.

Event comments:

I can't lie and say I'm happy with this race. I CAN say I am happy to have shared the day with so many team mates and friends, many of whom were first time IM racers.

This race was weird in so many ways for me. My two main training partners were not excited to race, and I didn't even get to start with them this long day (we've started almost every tri together for 2 years!), I stayed with Endurance Sports Travel a mile from most of my team, and it was good and bad...good because I got to meet Kona legend Ken Glah (he made my pancakes!) and some really cool ladies, bad because I was so removed from my friends physically and emotionally. It was great to be able to offer support to first timers Joe beforehand, and Annelise and Kevin on the course, bad because I was NOT performing to my fitness potential and goals. I was BLESSED to be able to see my 55 year old teammate who has been dealing with her husbands cancer throughout this journey cross in 17:06:xx. Such an inspiration! Bummed to feel sick in the tummy for 2 days post race, but not in my legs. Overall, a PR is a win, a Vertical finish is a win. I made the best of the day out there. Lessons were learned, and I will carry them with me to the next start line.

Last updated: 2012-02-21 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:12:33 | 3800 meters | 01m 55s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/112
Overall: 0/3061
Performance: Average
first lap on the garmin (before crossing the mat) was 32:30 took at least a minute to get back in the drink
Suit: QR full
Course: 2 loop rectangle with a run...(walk) to start the second loop
Start type: Run Plus: Shot
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 07:34
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
05:59:56 | 112 miles | 18.67 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/112
Overall: 1094/3061
Performance: Average
First 68.83 miles: 19.1mph, 117 avg watts, 124 np watts, 141 avg hr, avg cadence 106. That's where the garmin got moved forward to transition mode. Reset it. Last 41.44 miles: 19.1 mph, 124 avg watts, 128 np watts, 141 avg hr, avg cadence 85 Looking at the garmin data, I was off my bike for a total of 13:50 for my three stops, and burned 2433 calories I took in 1 gu, and 1.5 powerbars,3 salt tabs,at least 50 oz infinite, and maybe 20 oz perform, plus about 20 oz water for about 1400 calories
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Same as 2010...one big loop with 2 out and backs, and one bridge you go over twice.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 06:33
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
05:20:21 | 26.2 miles | 12m 14s  min/mile
Age Group: 31/112
Overall: 1199/3061
Performance: Below average
Only have data to 11.82 where the garmin died. 11.82 2:18:22 11:42 avg pace Avg hr 143, max 157 815 calories 7' of non moving time. :(
Course: flat out and back through the neighborhoods and into the State Park x2
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-08 7:42 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Ironman Florida

2012-11-08 3:26 PM
in reply to: #4489377

User image

Expert
Ann Arbor, MI
Subject: RE: Ironman Florida
Proud of you, Trish!  This may not have been your perfect day, but you kept moving forward, overcame challenges, and you finished another Ironman!  
2012-11-08 4:43 PM

User image

Master
Canton, Michigan

Your like the Energizer Bunny, just keep going and going!

Nice job, hope you can figure out the gut issues in Arizona next year (or which ever one is next)

2012-11-08 5:38 PM

User image

Expert
Troy, MI

So proud of you, my cavesister!!  You know that already.

Now if you were just an IRON-Gut, the day would've been better.  You have to start training that gut.  I think you should start eating bad food before training so that your gut is not so spoiled and knows how to behave in any circumstance.  Bad gut!!  And you need pee-ing lessons from Trixie.  We need to set up a pee-fest (but in the Spring when we can be outside, unless someone needs new carpeting).  

2012-11-09 11:59 PM

User image

Boulder, Colorado
Awesome job Trish!!
2012-11-11 7:48 PM

User image

Champion
Verona WI--Ironman Bike Country!
I love how introspective and you are about your performance.  I think you did everything you could to make it a great day and it was.  I have no doubt you will take those nutritional lessons to IMAZ and crush it!  Of course, I would rather have you come to MOO and do it in my home town.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Florida Rss Feed