General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on trainer for trainerroad Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-11-11 5:53 PM

Regular
Calhoun, GA
Subject: Question on trainer for trainerroad
I have a Minoura Magturbo Ergo (that is all it says on the trainer) that I have had since probably 2003.  I don't have any more info than. It is blue, tire driven, with the cable that attaches to your handle bars so you can adjust the resistance.  I am getting ready to start trainerroad Dec 1 and wanted to see if my trainer was supported but it is not on the list and I can't find any info to get it added.  Any help would be appreciated.

2012-11-11 6:30 PM
in reply to: #4494031

User image

Subject: RE: Question on trainer for trainerroad
I have a no-name el cheapo mag trainer that is not on the list but I just chose the cycleops mag from the list and rolled with it. My thought is that as long as all variables are constant with each workout, you should be able to somewhat accurately track progress...sure, your "numbers" may not be totally accurate with regard to power in watts but you can still establish a baseline using a similar trainer and perceived effort. It works fine for me as I have no intention of dropping hundreds on a top of the line trainer just for a handful of rides a year, nor do I want to get so technical that I feel like Drago from the Rocky movie.
2012-11-11 7:16 PM

User image

Master
I have a Minoura too, got second hand.  Also only says 'Supermag Turbo' on the side, I have no idea about a model number.  I figured I would just pick a Minoura RDA from the list on TR.  As the previous poster said, if I keep all things equal, I may not get my EXACT power numbers, but will be able to see if I am improving if my numbers go up.  Could always email the TR folks, they seem pretty responsive.
2012-11-12 1:34 PM

Regular
Calhoun, GA

Checked with Minoura and they don't keep data for trainers that old... LOL  Well as others have said I am just picking one and going with it. 

Thanks for the input.

2012-11-12 5:03 PM

User image

Minneapolis, MN
I also have the ergo. I figure I will just pick one from minouras discontinued list that is on trainerroads list. I figure it's like weight on a scale. It's a number and a constant to work with. Improvement will still be improvement
2012-11-13 10:06 AM

User image

Pro

I've got another solution...

buy a powertap. 

2012-11-13 10:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Budapest, Pest Megye
Or get a Kurt Road Machine. It's not that expensive and you will be using it for years to come. I just started using trainer road yesterday and it worked wonders except that my Garmin cadence sensor was moving around and I lost the speed measurements so I had to stop and figure out what was going wrong.
2012-11-13 1:38 PM

User image

Veteran

I'm sure Nate will chime in soon...They're top notch and very responsive, so just shoot them an email.

http://www.trainerroad.com/virtual-power

scroll down the list to see that it includes several power curves for Minoura trainers. I'm guessing they'll walk you through what to look on the trainer itself to ID it, or get you quite close.

-J

2012-11-17 11:18 AM

New user

Reno

I've seen your requests for the Minoura MagTurbo. I couldn't find any data for these trainers on the Minoura website and it sounds like you guys have already contacted them and they don't even have the data for it. Unless we get some power data at a bunch of different speeds for these trainers, we can't really add them. 

You are welcome to experiment with other trainer setting to see if you can find something that "feels close", but if you start to spend much time training with us, I think you'll find yourself wanting a power meter or at least a new trainer.

The problem with finding something that "feels close" is that it is hard to judge at a bunch of different power levels. Even if you find something that "feels close" at 150 watts, it might be way off at 300 watts because the slope of the power curve (or power line in the case of most mag trainers) is different. 

2012-11-17 6:41 PM

Regular
Calhoun, GA
Thanks for the info Reid.  I am going to pick one of the Minuora Mags on the website for starters.  This will be my first experince with TrainerRoad so going to wait on getting a new trainer for a while. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Question on trainer for trainerroad Rss Feed