United States
35F / 2C
Sunny
Total Time = 36m 42s
Overall Rank = 10/552
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 2/38
Pre-race routine:

K and I drove to Ashburn and checked in. It was cold, and we were early so we sat in the car for a bit and hung out.
Event warmup:

I have been dealing with some sort of injury in the back of my left knee, but the day before the race it felt really good, so I decided I was fine to race. I needed the confidence going into Vegas. I didn't want to do a lot extra though, so no warmup or cooldown.

We finally got out of the car to go use the bathroom, and realized the race started 10min earlier than K thought, so we hustled over to the start and jumped into the corrals.
Run
  • 36m 44s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 05m 55s  min/mile
Comments:

Gun went off and I settled into a fairly fast pace with a group of high school cross country runners. It was strange that no one seemed to start too fast. The front 10 or so runners were just out in front and the group I was with were actually chatting a bit and holding 6:00/mile pace.

I wasn't struggling, but it was early and I liked the group so I sat in. About 3/4 mile in, one of the young runners got a small gap. There was a slight wind, so I made the move and tucked in behind him. He was skinny, but tall, so he had a decent draft. It helped stay warm as much as saved energy since it was still fairly cold and I had no warmup. He was aware I jumped on and put in a slight surge to see if he would shake me. This kid was smart. Usually younger kids don't have tactics and run no matter what is happening in the race, but he was always aware what was going on.

That surge dropped the group and put the two of us solo. We reeled in another runner my age and although we both made a move to go by quickly, he was able to jump on. From then on, it was the three of us all alone in the gap. from mile 1 on, we didn't make any more passes.

We duked it out on the rest of the course. A surge here or there any time we felt a weakness and sat in any time we struggled. Younger kid was always out in front or side by side and the other guy sat in third. There was confusion about what side of the cones we should be on, so there were police and cars making us switch back and forth, but we were locked in battling up until about half mile left. The final stretch had some turns and we came up on the end of the 5k race. We went to the outside, but the other 2 made a final surge and I got gapped. I knew from the out and back I had 10th place locked up and thought I had a PR as well. I'm not sure if that gave me the excuse I needed to let them go or if I just had nothing left, but they put ~:10 into me and I cruised in. Great race.
Actually RACING others and not just racing yourself can be so much fun.

What would you do differently?:

Not sure. Maybe make a move earlier or the opposite and not done the early surges to test them.
Post race
Warm down:

Cheered on K to a new PR and other runners and then got warm in the church waiting for awards.

Event comments:

Great local race. Awards were a bit slow and had some mistakes, but it was at least inside with seating, raffles, etc. so I'll cut them plenty of slack.

Last updated: 2012-11-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:36:44 | 06.21 miles | 05m 55s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/38
Overall: 10/552
Performance: Good
Mile 1 - 5:57 Mile 2 - 5:52 Mile 3 - 5:46 Mile 4 - 5:50 Mile 5 - 6:09 Mile 6 - 5:37 Mile + - 1:30
Course: Ashburn Farm neighborhoods with a mix of loop and out and backs. Fairly hilly.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes