General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike--road or tri and why? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2004-06-25 11:55 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: First bike--road or tri and why?
What did you buy for your first bike and what would you recommend someone buy for their first bike?

I bought an entry level road bike (Trek 1000) that I tricked up with clip-on pedals, aero bars, and a computer just a few months ago, but I'm already beginning to wonder if I made a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I love my bike, but I find myself oogling every fancy tri bike I see.

Thought I'd see what everyone else thinks and maybe some other newbies can learn from the discussion.

2004-06-25 12:27 PM
in reply to: #33618

User image

Expert
Iowa
Subject: RE: First bike--road or tri and why?

Here's the deal - the nagging won't go away! It didn't for me, it didn't for my friends and from what you've said so far, I doubt it will go away for you. Sooner or later you're either going to accept your present bike and ride it regardless of results, or you're going to plunk down cash for a new "hottie" with all the starter tricks. There's no middle ground. It's a horrible psychological battle. And the more serious you are about competing, the more the nagging will keep you awake at night. Welcome to tri addiction. Hello everyone. My name is Kevin. I'm an addict.

2004-06-25 12:37 PM

User image

Expert
MD
Wow- that's funny. I bought the exact same road bike (Trek 1000), added clip-on aerobars (profile airstrykes) , pedals, and a computer last year (the black/silver model). I have also upgraded the seat with an Azoto Tri Gel seat (ebay - got it for a steal!). And, I, too, find myself looking at other bikes. Just this morning I was wondering what my local bike shop would offer me as a trade in....

I find myself wishing that I had invested a little more money in the road bike and gone with a Trek 1500 or something with a little better component set. The 1000 gives me some problems holding a setting, and the front derailour often drags the chain. A bike with some better ability to absorb shock would be nice, also. Overall, though, I'm pretty happy with the bike, and I think a road bike, slightly modified to give me a better aero position, was definitely the best choice over a tri-specific bike.

Tri-specific bikes, with the more forward agressive position, are not necessarily for everybody. They can feel awkward and uncomfortable for some, and hill climbing can be harder on a tri bike. If you are a novice or beginning cyclist, and most of your riding will be done on local roads around your house, it seems that the general consensus is that a road bike is the better choice.

The road bike geometry offers a less aggressive seat angle and typically offers a greater range of riding positions (on your drops, on your hoods, on the bar, etc). These can make the bike more comfortable, and can also assist you with power, especially when climbing. Aerobars, forward leaning seatposts, stem adjustments, and saddles can be added or adjusted to improve your aero position on a road bike and make it a viable bike to use for triathlon racing. I've had plenty of experienced cyclists assure me that my Trek 1000 will take me up to my goal of 1/2 IM (and beyond) with no problem.

My philosophy is this, I have LOTS of room for improvement in my own cycling ability and getting a fancy racing bike is not going to make be a better cyclist. If I concentrate on technique, endurance, strength, and power in my cycling I'll earn a faster split in a triathlon through my work and dedication. To me, that's what the sport is all about, anyway. If the day ever comes that I would have placed in the top 3 of my age group if only I had a better bike, then I'll consider an upgrade. Until then, I'll be happy with the bike I have now.

2004-06-25 12:59 PM

User image

Champion
Ottawa, Ontario
There is no single perfect bike for everyone. We all have different wants and needs, therefore we all require different bikes. No matter what bike you buy, that little voice in your head will always say: "maybe I should have bought...!!!" If the bike you have presently works well for you then keep it ... until you become a pro and then you can get all the bikes you want for free through endorsements.
2004-06-25 1:10 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Kennesaw, GA
I had to make this decision last month as I was bike shopping. I looked and stewed and stewed over what was the right bike for me. I finially decided on either the Trek 1500 or the Specialized Allez. I went with the Allez. I was even able to find one very slightly used with full Ultegra componentry and SPD pedals for $600.00. (it was a steal) It's a beautiful bike for me and I love it.

reasons I went with a road bike over tri (no particular order)
1. Stabilility or handeling of a road bike is better than a tri-specific bike.
2. Cost of the road bike compared to tri-bike.
3. I figured most of my riding is on the road and in some sort of traffic. I wanted a little more erect position on the bike for visibility and safety.
4. To fit in. About everything I see on the road is a road bike not a tri-bike. I figured let me get what works for everyone around me. If I have problems or something there's more people out there with what I have.
5. Comfort. Maybee the tri-bike is like a lazy-boy and I just don't know it, but the road bike just looks a little more comfortable than the tri-bike. (again I've never compared) but since I'm spending a fair amount of time on the bike I would sacrafice a littel speed for the comfort.

here is what I wanted in my bike (minimum requirements)
1. Aluminum frame W/ carbon fork
2. Shimano 105 or better components
3. Couldn't justify anything too much over $1000 for my level of experince.
4. had to be an atractive bike

Also if this is someone's first bike all the gadgets (helmet, lights, pedals, shorts, shoes, pump, tools, gloves, you name it, etc.) add up very quick. I set my budget. figred on what I needed (shoes, emergency tool kit, I had the rest) and determined what was left to spend on the bike itself.

2004-06-25 1:45 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
PR

I don't want to be rude or anything, but I don't agree with most of your list.

> Try to ride/handle the road bike in the drops, that's the most unconfortable positions you can imagine.

2. Cost of the road bike compared to tri-bike. 
   > Comparing similar components and materials, most of the road bike are more expensive than tri-bikes, mostly because of the STI Shifters that increase the cost a lot.

3. I figured most of my riding is on the road and in some sort of traffic. I wanted a little more erect position on the bike for visibility and safety. 
   > Well you got this one, you need to know when and where to ride in the aerobars.

4. To fit in. About everything I see on the road is a road bike not a tri-bike. 
   > I dont want to fit with the wheel suckers.   If you want to be a full cyclist, surround yourself with cyclists, but If you want to do triathlon, that's another story...

5. Comfort. Maybee the tri-bike is like a lazy-boy and I just don't know it, but the road bike just looks a little more comfortable than the tri-bike. 
   > I convert my bike (you can see the picture in my profile) from a road bike, to a tri-setup, and I (personal opinion) think that now I'm more comfortable, no elbow or wrist pain, etc...

This is a personal/budget opinion, I think must of us, newbies, start with regular road bikes, then upgrade some parts, and after a couple of months/years, purchase a real tri-bike.  By christmas I'll be purchasing, a Quintana Roo (Caliente)  or a Cervevlo (Dual), because in a tri-bike, you can have more leg power eficiency than a road bike, and also I'm relatively small (5'8) so, I'm heading to 650cc wheels.

I think that trilover can comment about this, because he had a road bike, and then purchased a Cervelo Dual tri-bike.

My .02 cents.

Charlie

Edited by charlie 2004-06-25 1:47 PM

2004-06-25 2:57 PM
in reply to: #33653

User image

Champion
Two seat rocket plane

I don't want to be rude or anything, but I don't agree with some of your list.

> Try to ride/handle the road bike in the drops, that's the most unconfortable positions you can imagine.

Try telling that to the cyclocrossers or crit riders, or the folks doing Paris-Brest-Paris. If you are not comfortable in the drops is's for one of three reasons 1. you have a medical condition like fused vertabrae 2. your bike does not fit 3. weak core muscles

Numbers 2 and 3 are correctable

As much as I lust after a new tri-bike, I can't justify one just yet. A standard road bike (that fits) is simply more versatile

2004-06-25 3:39 PM
in reply to: #33673

User image

Resident Matriarch
N 43° 32.927 W 071° 24.431
As much as I lust after a new tri-bike, I can't justify one just yet. A standard road bike (that fits) is simply more versatile

I have got the "wanna tri bike jones" pretty bad, but cannot justify it by any stretch of the imagination yet.  So I am more than happy to be out on my road bike, especially now that I am comfortable in the drops.  That came about by losing (most of) the gut.
2004-06-25 6:28 PM
in reply to: #33673

Veteran
Columbus, Ohio
I know that I am not one of great knowledge in cycling but if the drops are comfy, why do 90% of the photos of cycling events show the pro riders on the hoods? Unless they are sprinting they seem to ride the hoods almost exclusively.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First bike--road or tri and why? Rss Feed