General Discussion Race Reports! » Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
United States
30F / -1C
Sunny
Total Time = 31m 36s
Overall Rank = 717/1098
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 93/161
Pre-race routine:

Night before: Strongbow, UFO and a Sunset Wheat and watched the Bears play the worst game I've witnessed in a long time. Missed out on winning any prizes at the turkey shoot. :(

Got up, took care of the dogs, ate some oatmeal, dressed and headed to the race. Wasn't sure how the oatmeal was going to be; that is not my typical pre-event meal but it ended up not being an issue. Walk to the registration/packet pick-up was a decent hike from where I parked. Got my packet, went back to the car to drop off shirt and to remove sweatshirt since I was at the race solo (no one to hold stuff). Put number on and headed back to the start area. Stood in line for porta-john, made a comment to the guy in front of me if he thought we'd get through in time because I wasn't feeling too sure we would. We joked about it and while we were chatting, the race announcer told everyone they would be starting the race a bit late since they had so many late entrants. YAY!! As it turned out, I had JUST enough time to take care of business. I was out of the john for about a minute before they started the pre-race talk and blessing/prayer and such.
Event warmup:

Walking back and forth from the car (about a 5 minute walk one way)! Some quick stretching during the announcements.
Run
  • 31m 36s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 10s  min/mile
Comments:

Start was a bit congested and disorganized with the large amount of racers (this is not a complaint, I'm simply describing what I witnessed). Compounding the issue was the event was a run/walk and not all the walkers placed themselves at the back. It was a bit tricky navigating around the walkers and differing speeds of runners. Took close to .75 miles to find a good groove where I wasn't dodging people or going around others.

Felt pretty good overall. Race was well organized and fun with people dressed up in Thanksgiving or Christmas themed race attire. Running with her mom, there was a little girl, maybe 7 years old, who was dressed completely like a turkey and had the Chik-fil-A 'Eat More Chikin' signs on the front and back. Very cute and clever.

Santa was driving around in his red convertable VW Bug. Guess his sleigh was in the shop!

What would you do differently?:

Look at my elapsed time toward the end of the race and not just the mileage. Not sure why I didn't look at my time. If I had looked at my time, I would've seen that I could've probably beaten my PR. As it was, I was 9 seconds off of my PR!! Dummy!
Post race
Warm down:

Grabbed a water, 2 orange slices and a cookie and watched other racers finish. There were a fair amount of first-timers, which was really cool to see how extra happy and proud they were to finish. Hung out for a while, just sort of loitering around, then went back to my car for my sweatshirt, then headed back to the finish area. They were posting race results as they got them in, but for some reason the pages for around my time frame were missing. I waited around for a little to see if they would put them up but they didn't. Watched the very first part of awards, then left. I was cold!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Happy with performance all except near the end when I didn't look at the total time on my watch and missed out on possibly setting a new PR.

Event comments:

I will hopefully do this race again next year as long as the family plans allow for it! I've been wanting to do this race for the past 3 years but my turkey day schedule didn't allow for it.

Last updated: 2012-11-09 12:00 AM
Running
00:31:36 | 03.11 miles | 10m 10s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/161
Overall: 0/1098
Performance: Good
From Garmin, which recorded 3.08 miles for distance Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed AHR MHR 1 10m 20s 1.00 miles 10m 20s /mile 0 2 10m 14s 1.00 miles 10m 14s /mile 0 3 10m 21s 1.00 miles 10m 21s /mile 0 4 00m 43s 0.08 miles 08m 35s /mile 0
Course: Essentially a lollipop. Leave the start area and head down a road toward a development, do a rough circle in the development, then come back out to the same road we entered the dev. at and return on the same road to the finish.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2012-11-26 1:19 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k

2012-11-26 3:44 PM
in reply to: #4510487

User image

Master
Central Kansas
Subject: RE: Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k
Great job. Too bad you missed your PR, but look at that kick you had at the end! Terrific. Congrats on a great race.
2012-11-27 5:45 AM

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida
It looks like you enjoyed the race, good job on that. And nice push at the end, nearly a PR I think you have one coming soon, keep after it!
2012-11-27 12:26 PM

User image

Seattle

Great race! 9 seconds off a PR with a congested start is pretty great!

Whether or not you looked at your watch to see that 9 seconds, it sounds like you think you still had something left in the tank. Use that as motivation for the next one, KNOWING you will PR. You got this!

PS I never thought Santa to be the type that drove a Bug, let alone a convertible. Hm!

2012-11-27 1:22 PM

User image

Veteran
Citrus Heights, CA
Sounds like a fund race--my turkey trot last year was similar--I think these are the most fun of races, because you do get to see other people having a good time, finishing their first race, etc. Next time you will get your PR--I have no doubt about that!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k Rss Feed