Other Resources My Cup of Joe » question for the Cops and other gun owners Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, the bear, DerekL, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2012-12-10 6:20 AM
in reply to: #4528619

User image

Subject: RE: question for the Cops and other gun owners

@Left Brain,

Thanks

2012-12-11 11:13 AM
in reply to: #4528619

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Left Brain - 2012-12-09 10:56 PM

Sig Sauer 226 in .40 cal. for our uniform Officers, 229 in .40 cal for our plain clothes Detectives.  I think we shot well over 10,000 rounds in a number of weapons to come up with that choice....and it won hands down for reliability and versitility (there are a number of grip options to fit all hand sizes). Smith and Wesson M & P also tested well, but not quite as reliable with all different types of ammo.....the gun we tested didn't like frangible ammo, and since we shoot that in our range it was an issue, but shouldn't be for most.  It was also in .40 cal.

Is it typical for a police force to mandate one duty weapon for all officers? When the NYPD went to semi-auto, officers could choose between a Glock, a Sig, and, I think, a S&W. Or they were allowed to keep their .38 revolvers if they chose to. My father in law considered keeping his trusty six-shooter but eventually decided to upgrade before he retired.

Sorry for the hijack.
2012-12-11 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4530690

User image

Pro

jmk-brooklyn - 2012-12-11 11:13 AM
Left Brain - 2012-12-09 10:56 PM Sig Sauer 226 in .40 cal. for our uniform Officers, 229 in .40 cal for our plain clothes Detectives.  I think we shot well over 10,000 rounds in a number of weapons to come up with that choice....and it won hands down for reliability and versitility (there are a number of grip options to fit all hand sizes). Smith and Wesson M & P also tested well, but not quite as reliable with all different types of ammo.....the gun we tested didn't like frangible ammo, and since we shoot that in our range it was an issue, but shouldn't be for most.  It was also in .40 cal.
Is it typical for a police force to mandate one duty weapon for all officers? When the NYPD went to semi-auto, officers could choose between a Glock, a Sig, and, I think, a S&W. Or they were allowed to keep their .38 revolvers if they chose to. My father in law considered keeping his trusty six-shooter but eventually decided to upgrade before he retired. Sorry for the hijack.

I really don't know if it is typical or not....but I would think it is.  In a gunfight, I would want my magazine/reloading capacity to be the same for everyone on my side of the fight.  Yes, most gun battles don't last long enough to go through ammo....but it has happened, and could certainly happen in some type of protracted incident, so why not be prepared to be able to share if needed?  A gun with no ammo is just a rock.  I'd hate for mine to go down and there was a guy next to me with extra magazines/ammo and I can't use it.  That's just dumb in my book.

2012-12-11 12:14 PM
in reply to: #4530701

User image

Champion
Brooklyn, NY
Left Brain - 2012-12-11 11:21 AM

Left Brain - 2012-12-09 10:56 PM Sig Sauer 226 in .40 cal. for our uniform Officers, 229 in .40 cal for our plain clothes Detectives.  I think we shot well over 10,000 rounds in a number of weapons to come up with that choice....and it won hands down for reliability and versitility (there are a number of grip options to fit all hand sizes). Smith and Wesson M & P also tested well, but not quite as reliable with all different types of ammo.....the gun we tested didn't like frangible ammo, and since we shoot that in our range it was an issue, but shouldn't be for most.  It was also in .40 cal.
Is it typical for a police force to mandate one duty weapon for all officers? When the NYPD went to semi-auto, officers could choose between a Glock, a Sig, and, I think, a S&W. Or they were allowed to keep their .38 revolvers if they chose to. My father in law considered keeping his trusty six-shooter but eventually decided to upgrade before he retired. Sorry for the hijack.

I really don't know if it is typical or not....but I would think it is.  In a gunfight, I would want my magazine/reloading capacity to be the same for everyone on my side of the fight.  Yes, most gun battles don't last long enough to go through ammo....but it has happened, and could certainly happen in some type of protracted incident, so why not be prepared to be able to share if needed?  A gun with no ammo is just a rock.  I'd hate for mine to go down and there was a guy next to me with extra magazines/ammo and I can't use it.  That's just dumb in my book.

That's an interesting point-- one I hadn't thought of. So, for you, being able to share ammo trumps being able to choose a gun you prefer over another that might not be as comfortable?
2012-12-11 12:22 PM
in reply to: #4530762

User image

Pro
jmk-brooklyn - 2012-12-11 12:14 PM

That's an interesting point-- one I hadn't thought of. So, for you, being able to share ammo trumps being able to choose a gun you prefer over another that might not be as comfortable?

One oof the reasons we chose the Sig was because of the many options with regard to grip.....we haven't run into a problem of an Officer "not being comfortable".  And yes, in my mind, training to fight as a unit if need be, it is very important to use as much of the same equipment as possible....especially when it comes to guns/ammo.  And what about parts/repairs?  Are we supposed to supply parts for any gun?  Repair any gun?  And, from a liability standpoint, I don't want to be hanging out there alone defending my choice of duty gun if I shoot someone.....I'm more than happy to leave that to the City/Police department.  I suppose I could go on all day with reasons why it's a good idea to all carry the same gun.....but you get the point I'm sure.

2012-12-11 2:16 PM
in reply to: #4530701

User image

Pro

That is the reason our department issues everyone the same duty weapon. The ability to exchange magazines in case of an emergency.

2012-12-12 11:21 AM
in reply to: #4520678

User image

Expert
Boise, Idaho

Shotgun.   

They aren't as 'sexy' as some of those handguns, but...

Easier to become proficient.  

Waay more 'shock and awe' factor when used (and sometimes this alone will discourage bad people). 

Cheaper 

Safer 

IMO (as a Police Officer); You as a HOMEOWNER/HUSBAND/FATHER; you probably have no business going on the offensive and trying to clear your house of bad guys.  I don't care how much miltary time you had way back in the day.  TAC training is hard and it needs to be practiced and practiced and practiced.  Your job is to keep your family safe.  PERIOD.  You need to call 911, gather up the flock, and DEFEND your position. 

New Thread
Other Resources My Cup of Joe » question for the Cops and other gun owners Rss Feed  

of 2