General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pumpkin Man Half (Maine)....Whose done it? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2012-12-04 11:13 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Pumpkin Man Half (Maine)....Whose done it?
I am looking for a Half IM in September on the east coast I did DiamondMan LAST YEAR IN delaware and may do that agian but wanted to know if anyone did Pumpkin Man.  It looks like fun, but I am wondring what the course is like (swim bike and run)....The Half I decide to do will be my last race prior to IM Florida.  Any other suggestions for a half in September?

2012-12-04 12:03 PM
in reply to: #4521168

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada
Subject: RE: Pumpkin Man Half (Maine)....Whose done it?
I've been thinking about this race too.  You can find some BT race reports here
2012-12-04 12:15 PM

User image

Expert
Pumpkinman is a great race. The volunteers are great, swag is great and especially the after turkey dinner rules. Two loop pond swim. Rolling hills on the bike. A couple of long ones but nothing steep. The run has some very entertaining signs to lighten the mood. I would highly recommend it.
2012-12-05 5:21 AM

I did P-man (ME) this year as my first HIM, traveling up from NC. Overall, it was a good experience. I really enjoyed it as a destination race, going to Bar Harbor and the White Mtns post race. 

Pros: The race is local and relatively small. It's well run and organized. I really enjoyed the run course, with it's rolling hills and multiple aid stations. The post-race Thanksgiving style dinner is unique and delicious. The area has some great little restaurants. 

Cons: Parts of the bike course are on older, very bumpy, poorly paved roads, and I did not enjoy the bike as a result. (There are also some really nice, newly saved stretches). The finisher medal is also small and kinda cheap - not a big deal, just a little disappointing. 

Edited by mellicon 2012-12-05 5:22 AM
2012-12-05 5:52 AM

User image

Master
Midcoast Maine

I also did it this year and agree that it is a pretty well-run event. The swag is cool and the location is very pretty. I struggled with the event because my group (older women) was the last wave to go out (by the time we started, the first wave was finishing the swim). The swim is a two loop course in a somewhat murky/grassy/reedy pond - pretty tight course, so lots of folks in the water the whole time. The run up from the pond to transition is tough. The bike course is a two loop lollipop...and yes, there are parts that will shake the fillings right out of your head, and other parts that are recently repaved. Every intersection had volunteers and/or police to guide traffic. The run is a short loop to the right and then two out-and-backs...the out-and-backs were challenging to me because the out was a general grind up hill with the back being a slow slope down hill.

I am solidly in the BOP, and because my group was the last to go, I was out on the course for a long, long time. When I finally got to the finish line, things had really slowed down. There were no more massages available, minimal food and generally not much hoopla which was a disappointment for me.

Rev3 has an event the last weekend of August in Old Orchard Beach (pretty close to the Pumpkinman course) which I have heard very good things about...

Good luck!

2012-12-05 8:40 AM

User image

NH

I did the Pumpkinman HIM two years ago.  It was a great race, well run, awesome volunteers, great post race food.  Kate the RD is second to none if anything comes up and you need her help for something.

The swim is a two loop course in a small pond.  I’ve heard some years there are weeds in the water at the shore, but the year I did it the water was fine.  The course gets crowded with the wave starts and the loops.  As mentioned above, there’s quite a hill from the swim to transition, in fact the hill climb is timed as a separate event with prizes and awards.

The bike course is picturesque if that matters to you.  It’s pretty straightforward and about as flat as you can get in New England with some gentle rollers.  There are definitely rough sections but there is always road repair up here so there might be some improvements year to year.  In general I found it fine and not impossible to avoid the really rough stuff.

Since the run is a two loop out and back course you are with people the whole time even though it’s a very small race.  It’s a more challenging course than you’d think based on the profile.  In general, there are lots of aid stations and lots of fun people on the course make it a great run.

One challenging part of a Sept race up here is that the weather can be unpredictable.  Though the temps are likely to be perfect, it could be either hot and humid or possibly quite cold as well.

If you’re set on Sept then I’d give this race a 100% recommendation for a go.  If you can go a bit earlier, the Rev3 HIM in OOB was awesome as well, though a completely different experience, as is Timberman a few weeks earlier.

2012-12-05 10:16 AM

Uxbridge
Hey Jorge!!!!! I am thinking about doing it as well!!! My son lives in Berwick Maine, he just bought a house there. Great area beautiful scenery and very nice roads!!!
2012-12-05 11:06 AM
in reply to: #4522867

User image

Veteran

mav - 2012-12-05 11:16 AM Hey Jorge!!!!! I am thinking about doing it as well!!! My son lives in Berwick Maine, he just bought a house there. Great area beautiful scenery and very nice roads!!!

Nice!! I am strongly considering this, it really seems like a solid event. 

2012-12-05 9:14 PM

Regular
Brighton MA
living in boston makes this event really attractive to me. I was looking for a later season half ironman after completeing ironman lake placid. its just the right amount of time for recovery with enough endurance built up. I def plan on doing this race next sept. what helped me decide were some of the race reports on this website. I also teach some group exercise at a gym and one of the members said the course is really nice, easier then timberman. and i did timberman this past summer, it was pretty tough. Good luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Pumpkin Man Half (Maine)....Whose done it? Rss Feed