BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 119

2012-12-22 9:32 AM
in reply to: #4542598

Subject: RE: Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Opened
Back in early 2007, I spent a night at the hospital with chest pains (and there is an extensive family history as far as that goes.) Had a conversation with my then Dr. who said, essentially, "Lose weight or die." I opted for the former. Ran a year of HS track many decades ago, and goal became to complete a 5k. Did that, and lost 70 lbs (261 to 190, and I'm only 5'6", so you get the picture.) Got a taste for longer distances (did my first 1/2 in late 2007, first full in May 2008.) Met up with a guy who did IM's and got the taste. Did some sprints in 2008-09. Got sedentary again, in 2010--put about 1/2 of the loss back on. Just got back to running this year, training for a 10mi and a couple of 1/2's Trained for NYC, but..... (now a 2013 planned race)

Have some running planned, but with respect to tri's, have a sprint planned in June, maybe others if schedule permits. Would like to work up to an Oly near season's end, with a 1/2 IM in 2014 (Spring if possible) and a full a year later. The online program really helped me with NYC (even if I didn't run the (*&^ thing, I was READY) and I'm hoping this will give me the discipline I need to get through the off season.

Need to train (even if virtually) with like minded folks. Hope I can be a part of this one.

Edited by DanVan 2012-12-22 9:45 AM

2012-12-22 9:59 AM

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

I just want to welcome all the new members to the Asphalt Junkies and welcome back to everyone who was in for the last round. I think you will all find that is an awesome group of people with some pretty awesome mentors. I don't think you'll find a more supportive group of people on BT then this bunch. I can tell you that you will not be lacking any motivation being around all these hard workers and I think you will find the dynamic of the group is great. And of course we have some really great mentors who always share their knowledge and experiences with everyone. I'm looking forward to getting to know our newest memebers. Looks like we are going to have a great season and hopefully lot's of fun and if not we can all commiserate together.

I am off pretty soon to get my week 3 day 4 long ride workout of Jorge's winter cycling plan done. Since the Mayan's didn't get it right and we are all sitll here I guess I have to do this workout and honestly I am not looking forward to it. It will be two hours and twenty minutes of pain and suffering today. The last two long rides were tough and I was dying when I got off the bike. I am hoping it's not gonna be that bad but I already know better.

2012-12-22 10:04 AM
in reply to: #4544993

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
trigal38 - 2012-12-22 8:30 AM

Tracy I agree with Dirk, you outed yourself about swimming in the last group. If you continue to call yourself a terrible swimmer we will have to begin a Junkie intervention until you see the truth! You rock in the pool just like on the bike and run .

I agree and I'm not buying it. Tracy's not fooling anybody with the "I'm not a good swimmer" stuff. She rocked all her races last season and if anything she's gonna be better this season. That is a pretty scary thought.

2012-12-22 10:12 AM
in reply to: #4545110

User image

Elite
far northern CA
strikyr - 2012-12-22 8:04 AM
trigal38 - 2012-12-22 8:30 AM

Tracy I agree with Dirk, you outed yourself about swimming in the last group. If you continue to call yourself a terrible swimmer we will have to begin a Junkie intervention until you see the truth! You rock in the pool just like on the bike and run .

I agree and I'm not buying it. Tracy's not fooling anybody with the "I'm not a good swimmer" stuff. She rocked all her races last season and if anything she's gonna be better this season. That is a pretty scary thought.

You guys are too funny!  Thank you, though!  I'm flattered. Embarassed

I shouldn't have to swim a minimum of 6000 yards a week (I wish I could get that much time in the pool) to go from a back-of-the-pack (like last out of the water) swimmer to a mere middle-of-the-pack swimmer in a 500 yard sprint!  Seriously!!!!!  Swimming is HARD for me!!!!

2012-12-22 10:14 AM

User image

Elite
far northern CA

Welcome to all of the new Asphalt Junkies!  You're going to love everyone as much as I do.  They really don't let anything slide.  I can't wait to get to know all of you, too.

I have a date with the bike trainer.  The rain, hail and wind is keeping me inside.  I've been fighting a mild cold, too.  We'll see how long I make it.

2012-12-22 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Welcome to all the new members! It's really exciting to see all the new faces and the motivation it brings with it!

but Tony you need to stop talking so negatively about Jorge's bike plan! I have it scheduled to start the first week of January and up to this point I don't remember how much fun it was last winter! . With all your talk I'm starting to dread the start date, but I also remember someone (Jeff) saying I will not get faster on my bike by just easy rides. Bring on the Pain! I think it's time to take the kids to the YMCA and follow that up with some time on the trainer during the buckeye basketball game!

2012-12-22 12:46 PM

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

Welcome to the group Kaehlin and Danvan.  I think you"ll both find this group to be very supportive to both of your individual needs.

Kaehlin, I'm looking forward to reading your bio and learning more about you.

Danvan, It sounds like you may be able to provide a lot of insight to the group too.  It appears you have a lot of experience in long course racing.  I have a target on 2014 for my first IM.  I am planning to put it off for another year to allow my youngest daughter to gradate high school before committing to that kind of time.

1. Karl - KWDreamun*
  2. Tony - strikyr*
  3. David - dmiller5
  4. Tracy - RunningYogini*
  5. Jen - jenbmosley
  6. Joanne - jo63*
  7. Matt - mambos*
  8. Jackie - jpbis26
  9. Dina - trigal38*
  10. Samantha - michgirlsk*
  11. Bhargav - Bhargavs
  12. kaehlin
  13. danvan

We have 2 spots available before the group closes.

2012-12-22 1:46 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

NAME: Karl, my Username is KWDreamun  I got that name  because I LOVE KEYWEST!!!  I love the attitude and love Jimmy Buffett music.

STORY:   I've always been sort of athletic but never a big guy.  I was always ashamed to take my shirt off in public since I was so skinny.  I started lifting weights but my passion was bass fishing.  I knew I wanted to fish professionally in high school, thus my grades may have suffered from so much fishing..lol  anyway I got my accounting degree but fishing was my dream.  I had the opportunity to  fish the pro trail and qualified for the top 100 in the nation.  But then I had my son and being gone 300 days a year was not fun so I hung my fishing up.  I couldn't sit home and do nothing, so I again started lifting weights.  I LOVE lifting.  Well fast forward, I turned 50 and I was watching TV and saw the Kona Ironman.  It just hit me I wanted to do that.  I told my wife I can't swim but I'm not going to let that hold me back (actually I'm struggling so much it might).  So in January/February 2012, I got a bike and started training.  I guess it is on my bucket list or maybe a late midlife crisis.  But I'm hard headed enough or stupid enough to try it at this age. I am mechanically and computer challenged so I train au natural (w/o any electronics).  I’m 51 now.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 18 years I think.  My wife is the best for me.  She is Pink Socks on this site. Very supportive of my fishing years ago and now this tri stuff.  She is a marathoner but loves ultra marathons.  She just did her 1st triathlon in October 2012.  (She really wanted to get in this group but didn’t think it was good to have husband and wife in the same group, but she does love the people on here and thanks them for their help to her).  My son is very athletic and he is a baseball fanatic and very good.  He started high school this year and of course will be going out for baseball.  I spend a lot of time w/ him and he is on a travel team so that takes a lot of time too. Here in FL we play baseball 10 months out of 12.  We also have a very spoiled wirehaired dachshund.

JOB:  Tax instructor for the state of FL, so I’m out of town quite a bit.

CURRENT TRAINING: I train early in the morning (I get up at 3:30) and again after work if I can. I take my son to the gym after his school if he doesn't have a baseball game.  I am struggling w/ swimming.  I've had severe shin splints in the past so I'm being very careful and IT band issues.  I like to train 7 days per week. The days I don't train I feel awful.  I like to lift at least 3 days prefer 6 but I can't get my tri training in.

LAST YEAR'S RACES: 2012: 5k's, 8k's, 5 mile, 10K,  duathlon 5K,31k,5k and 1 my 1st tri, even if it was a sprint. 

2013 RACES:  February ½ Marathon, March Red Hills Triathlon and a duathlon, Olympic in May and MAYBE a ½ Tri in the fall.  Remember our tri season is Spring and Fall, not summer like most everyone on here.

WEIGHTLOSS: N/A trying to GAIN!  I’ve lost 15 pounds in 2012.

2013 GOAL:  My MAIN GOAL IS TO LEARN TO SWIM AND ENJOY IT...MAKE IT MY STRENGTH!!! I enjoy biking already and am focusing on the run and would like to stay in ½ marathon shape year round.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I have a very great, but dry, sense of humor and love sports.  I do not get offended and am open to suggestions.  I am still very new to triathlons. I will help others any way I can. 

2012-12-22 1:47 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
I want to say hello to all the newbies.  Ya'll have picked an EXCELLENT group to join.  Welcome!
2012-12-22 1:47 PM
in reply to: #4545274

User image

Expert
MI
Hello, I am IN!  Will post a bio soon!
2012-12-22 2:25 PM

User image

Michigan

WHEN CAN YOU START: Immediately

USERNAME:
kaehlin Name: Eric

STORY: I’m a Midwesterner, having lived mywhole life in Illinois and now Michigan. I have been a runner, on and off, for twenty years.  I began running a little bit here and there,with no real plan, in my early 20’s, completed a couple of 5k’s, then decided to train for a marathon.  Marathon training was my first experience training with a supportive group and a plan.  I’ve now completed a total of
three marathons (Chicago 1998 and 1999; Bayshore in Traverse City, MI in 2005). 
I continued to run and compete in numerous races from 5k to half marathon, until 2008.  In 2008, I pulled a groin muscle, and was unable to run with any regularity for a while.  During that time, I took up biking, and completed some organized rides, including one century.  2012 was the first year I’ve really been able to incorporate running and biking together; I really enjoy the variety of exercise in multiple sports, and I think it’s easier on my (now 43 year old) body. I’ve been interested in triathlon for a while, but have always been intimidated by the swim.  I’ve decided to try to work on swimming and complete a triathlon in 2013.  I’m not really sure of my goals beyond that.  I know I want to approach this as a long-term commitment, building skill and gaining / keeping multi-sport conditioning.  I’m thrilled to see these groups opening up, and exited to be part of this one.

FAMILY STATUS: I’ve been happily married for 12 years; we have two children, a 10 year old son and 7 year old daughter.  My son is my sports buddy; he plays soccer and basketball, and goes along with me to MSU football and men’s basketball games (we live in East Lansing, MI).  My daughter is more of a free spirit, and is enjoying karate.  My wife has a busy and demanding job, so balancing activities with training is an ongoing challenge, but she’s always been supportive and we’ve found a way to make it work.

JOB: I work for a large independent health system as a Management Engineer, which usually means I’m helping with process improvement projects.  It’s typically 8 to 5 but with some flexibility, along with an expectation that I support a 24/7 operation as necessary.  My education is in biochemistry and clinical lab sciences; I have degrees from the University of Illinois and Michigan State (go Big Ten!)

CURRENT TRAINING: I’ve been riding at least a couple of times a week for about two years, ranging from 2 rides a week up to about 4 rides a week.  I’ve been running 1-2 times per week since August, about 3 miles per run.  The last time I was in a pool was probably two years ago.  I stay pretty active with the kids and dog, and I've been logging all my workouts and exercise here on BT for about two years.

THIS YEAR'S RACES: I’m not really sure.  I guess I will look for a sprint tri in the late spring to target; if that works well, I will probably build from there with summer goals.  I will probably pick
some 5k runs in the spring to stay motivated and on target with running.

LAST SEASONS RACES: None.  Well, ok, I ran a turkey trot on Thanksgiving day, with my kids, untimed; does that count?

MY BIGGEST SUCCESSES:  As far as racing, my marathon PR of 3:55 was a huge accomplishment.  I once had a third place AG in a local 5k.  Those are both pretty far in my rear view, and I’m ok with that.  Completing any triathlon would be right up there with those successes.

WEIGHTLOSS: My weight has gone up and down a bit.  I’ve used a combination of Weight Watchers and exercise with some success.  I’m currently 185 pounds and ideally I would like to be 175; ideally I will be able to build a triathlon training plan with some accountability for healthy eating.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Huh.  Maybe I won’t be  .   I will say, I am typically totally locked in and accountable, once I have a plan.  Since I don’t know very much about multisport training, and I have not had swim coaching since I was something like 8 years old, I am coming in with a great deal of humility, so I don’t think you’ll have to break me down to build me up!

2012-12-22 2:39 PM

User image

Bronze member

This is totally off topic but since some of you have little boys at home I am going to give a plug for a toy my son (age 6) just got for an early Christmas Present last night.  The Imaginext Eagle Talon Castle is one cool and fun toy!! Both of my kids have been playing with it all day.

Ok - back to triathlon talk .

2012-12-22 2:51 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Tx
I'm in if there's still room.  
2012-12-22 2:54 PM
in reply to: #4545199

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY

mambos - 2012-12-22 1:06 PM Welcome to all the new members! It's really exciting to see all the new faces and the motivation it brings with it! but Tony you need to stop talking so negatively about Jorge's bike plan! I have it scheduled to start the first week of January and up to this point I don't remember how much fun it was last winter! . With all your talk I'm starting to dread the start date, but I also remember someone (Jeff) saying I will not get faster on my bike by just easy rides. Bring on the Pain! I think it's time to take the kids to the YMCA and follow that up with some time on the trainer during the buckeye basketball game!

OK Matt I will stop badmouthing Jorge's plan. As a matter of fact I just finished my long ride this afternoon and I really thought it was going to be a sufferfest however my two friends pain and agony decided not to show up today. I actually wound up killing the long ride today! Take that Jorge! I couldn't believe it I didn't feel like I was going to die after I got off the bike today and it was a two hour twenty minute ride. I guess I am getting my bike fitness back after the layoff for the NYC marathon training which I didn't get to run. In any case I am sure there are some more evil workouts in the plan for next week so I'll make sure to keep you posted Matt so you have something to look forward too Laughing

2012-12-22 3:04 PM
in reply to: #4545305

User image

Master
Fort Wayne
trigal38 - 2012-12-22 3:39 PM

This is totally off topic but since some of you have little boys at home I am going to give a plug for a toy my son (age 6) just got for an early Christmas Present last night.  The Imaginext Eagle Talon Castle is one cool and fun toy!! Both of my kids have been playing with it all day.

Oh brother!  You're one of those "I can't wait until Christmas" mom's aren't you?  We were just having this conversation with our oldest daughter last night.  She told her boyfrined what his gift is.  And not inly that she's let him see it and use it......A banjo!

Continue tri talk again.

2012-12-22 3:05 PM
in reply to: #4545315

User image

Master
Fort Wayne

pistuo - 2012-12-22 3:51 PM I'm in if there's still room.  

You're in Will.  I'm glad to have you.  Get your bio up when you have a chance.

Or maybe you would like for me to fill your bio out?  Hmmm?

Here's whwere we stand with Will jumping in:

1. Karl - KWDreamun*
  2. Tony - strikyr*
  3. David - dmiller5
  4. Tracy - RunningYogini*
  5. Jen - jenbmosley
  6. Joanne - jo63*
  7. Matt - mambos*
  8. Jackie - jpbis26
  9. Dina - trigal38*
  10. Samantha - michgirlsk*
  11. Bhargav - Bhargavs
  12. Eric - kaehlin
  13.       - danvan
  14. Will - pistuo

We have 1 spot remaining before we close!

Who's going to get it?

Edited by DirkP 2012-12-22 3:10 PM

2012-12-22 4:01 PM
in reply to: #4545323

User image

Expert
Tallahassee
DirkP - 2012-12-22 4:04 PM

.Ok - back to triathlon talk .

Oh brother!  You're one of those "I can't wait until Christmas" mom's aren't you?  We were just having this conversation with our oldest daughter last night.  She told her boyfrined what his gift is.  And not inly that she's let him see it and use it......A banjo

That reminds me of the movie "Deliverance"  Do you hear Banjo's playing...lol

2012-12-22 4:25 PM
in reply to: #4545350

User image

Expert
Mastic Beach, NY
KWDreamun - 2012-12-22 5:01 PM

Oh brother!  You're one of those "I can't wait until Christmas" mom's aren't you?  We were just having this conversation with our oldest daughter last night.  She told her boyfrined what his gift is.  And not inly that she's let him see it and use it......A banjo

That is too funny and I won't comment any further. Hey Karl I didn't know your wife was Pink Socks she is pretty active over in the Challenge me forum. Why don't you let her join the Junkies?

2012-12-22 4:32 PM

User image

Expert
Tallahassee

She really wanted to but decided it would be best not to have family members in the group.  yes she is very active on the site.  She made the decision. 

thanks for asking though.

2012-12-22 4:41 PM
in reply to: #4545350

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio

seriously, A Banjo! That awesome, I attempted to learn how to play but my coordination just wouldn't let me figure it out. The older generation of my family was deep into bluegrass music and even had a band at one point.

Paddle faster!
2012-12-22 5:30 PM

User image

NH
Welcome to all the Junkies, new and old!  I'll read the bios closely and respond to each soon, pretty busy with some Christmas prepping right now.

2012-12-22 5:32 PM
in reply to: #4545378

User image

NH
mambos - 2012-12-22 5:41 PM

seriously, A Banjo! That awesome, I attempted to learn how to play but my coordination just wouldn't let me figure it out. The older generation of my family was deep into bluegrass music and even had a band at one point. Paddle faster!

Haha, my oldest LOVED the banjo from birth for some reason, and as he somehow had musical talent it was his first instrument.  You haven't lived until you've heard "Smoke on the Water" on the banjo!

2012-12-22 7:14 PM
in reply to: #4545323

User image

Bronze member
DirkP - 2012-12-22 3:04 PM

Oh brother!  You're one of those "I can't wait until Christmas" mom's aren't you?  We were just having this conversation with our oldest daughter last night.  She told her boyfrined what his gift is.  And not inly that she's let him see it and use it......A banjo!

Continue tri talk again.

Ha ha, I would love to give them everything as soon as I buy it. I have a terrible time waiting BUT we had Christmas at my In-Laws last night so this was legit .

2012-12-22 7:43 PM

User image

Bronze member

Spent some time working on my bike tonight. I changed out the rear tire and then tried to install my Garmin cadence monitor. I also signed up for and downloaded TrainerRoad. Sounds like I should be ready to go but NO. Seems TR does not pair with my HR monitor which is not a Garmin. My Garmin HR monitor died last spring and my husband replaced it with an Orion Pacific watch + monitor he found cheap online. Also I don't think I must have paired my Garmin 305 and the cadence monitor correctly because I was not getting any data from my watch. What I did get during the ride was my cadence # which was really very motivating and made me work harder than normal. I also liked how the program paused itself if I got off and kept track of time for each interval.

I'm assuming that I did not get any power numbers since TR did not recognize a heart rate? Otherwise I did not install the cadence monitor correctly and I'll have to start all over. But it did show me a cadence number so that is something!

Also, does anyone know if I have to buy a Garmin HR monitor for this all to work?

I'm not very patient with tech stuff but I'm forcing myself to learn how to do this myself. Well, with your help of courseWink.

2012-12-22 7:47 PM
in reply to: #4545447

User image

Expert
MI

Hello again!  My name is Samantha, I'm 27, and I'll be entering my third season of triathlons.  I learned about triathlon through watching the Ironman world champs on NBC (very original, I know).  I vividly remember an old 80-year-old(~ish) Asian man crossing the finish line.  It was very sweet.  Anyway, that was in high school, at which time I did an indoor triathlon and that was it.  Finally many years later I did my first outdoor tri which was in 2010.  That year I did 4 sprints which culminated with an HIM which I had been training all summer for.  Sadly, little did I know, I had an injury waiting to happen the whole summer, and it blew up during my HIM.  That left me with an assortment of hip issues, and I basically took the following tri season off.  I tried to get back into things slowly this year and did 3 sprints.  Next year I will also be sticking with sprints, and I will be looking to pick up speed!  I will probably also throw in an xterra race, which will likely be around a 3 hour race for me, so that will be the "long" race of the year.  I am continuing to manage my hip issue, it is really just about making sure it doesn't get to a horrid stage.

For the winter, I would really like to improve my running and swimming.  I would be happy to maintain my bike fitness from the fall, as that would still mean that I'll be better than where I was a year ago come spring time.  I'm also trying to make sure to include strength and flexibility exercises to my regular routine.

I'm glad that a new round of BT mentor groups has started, as it's like a fresh burst of motivation! Smile

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Asphalt Junkies Spring 2013 - Closed Rss Feed  

of 119